Ecoboost Owner Forums

Had a little fun with a 2012 Corvette tonight....I think he was surprised a little!

My wife and kids were in the car so this is pretty tame.

On a 2 lane road headed towards a T in the road. There are 2 stop lights. I am in the right lane, the corvette is in the left lane. Right lane enters a right handed sweeper onto the highway, left lane turns onto the outer road.

We are at the 1st light. As it turns green, the corvette gently tries to speed up and get past me. I don't let him. We both want to be 1st going into the right handed sweeper.

At the next red light, we both go for it as it turns green. My wife looks at me as she knows what is about to happen as i pull back into S-Mode. I go all out launch 0-45. He does too, but can't hook up, and stays on my left quarter panel. He then dives behind me. I enter the sweeper with no brakes. Normal speed would be 30mph. We hit it at about 40. My daughters in the back are laughing. The 5 year old says, "dad are we on 2 wheels" laughing. My wife responds very cool, "no, daddy is in the middle of another mid life crisis"

As we hit the highway, we both nail it. He pulls out a lane to the left as soon as he can. I stay in it from 40 to 70ish mph. He was never able to start to pull on me. Since i had my wife and kids in the car, I hit my cruse speed of 75 and backed out.

The Corvette kept going and sped past me to a speed of about 110 or so before I saw brake lights. I know he would eventually have caught me if we kept going. But not with my family in the car.

I know it was nothing crazy, but I bet he didn't expect that from a 4 door ford family car.

Good story! Gotta love AWD and auto combo... Do you have mods?

I gave a lesson to the new owner of a used Viper a few months ago. Poor guy was with his girlfriend and he just couldn't keep up until 60 for his bad launches or shifting... Since it was on a boulevard (45 zone), I was applying the brakes every time at 60, not to exagerate. Guy wasn't pissed off, he was actually laughing... His girlfriend wished he had a Taurus... Nah! Just kidding! Lol

Good story! Gotta love AWD and auto combo... Do you have mods?

No mods yet. Just turned 5k miles.

If the wife and kids were not with me, I would have gave him a go on that part of the highway to 120mph assuming we had room.

Would have been a fun result.

But just can't do it with the wife and kids in the car. Being a responsible adult is no fun.

Good judgement... Even if car racing on highways isn't good judgement, it is very hard to resist... The heck, I am probably the worst here!!!

That said, from 60-125, you would have seen him pull more and more. Your advantage is the torque and AWD for a 0-60 in about 5 sec flat. The corvette could do it in 4.2, but it depends a lot on the driver and conditions. However, he has no excuses after 60. It takes him about 9-10 seconds to go from 60-125; your SHO is probably closer to 13-14 seconds. He would probably be a good 5-10 cars ahead.

If stock you would do the 1/4 mile in about 13.6 seconds at 104mph, that vette does it in 12.6 at 114mph...

You need meth and he'll definitely sell his car!

Be prudent, enjoy your ride whatever you do on it, nice ride!

Haha. I would have just had to let him go with my wife and girls in the car. My wife likes to drive fast but not when she's not the one in control. One daughter screams "faster" while the other cries in fear anytime I give it a hint of gas. Sigh...

Speaking of street racing I'm sure there's probably some forum rule on here banning it so I hope we don't get locked talking about this. My best was against a debaged and blacked out Mercedes neck and neck at 135mph in a 55 zone (don't worry, it was a huge open straightaway and as safe as it ever gets). I was laughing as I slid over into his lane as we both flew past a corvette. I can only imagine his surprise when two black sedans flew by his sports car at such speeds. I constantly live in fearful ponderance of what that ticket might have been. Gulp! Never want to be that stupid again...but I can't promise I won't. :(

Be careful gentlemen. Not preaching, just be careful please.

Just one of the many problems that I did not fully understand until I was older is that the guy/gal you are racing has an extremely powerful car too, and if they cannot even launch properly, they likely cannot handle their cars at the limits. You can be a top shelf driver, but when the other person is not, bad things can happen. Sorry, but I had to say that.

You re right tss' date=' that s why, although totally immature, I keep it at red lights where no pedestrians can cross and I stop at a decent speed. I rarely have pushed it on highways: too dangerous and speeding tickets can cost you money and your license too. So, that's also why I go drag racing.[/quote']

Yep, agree. Like I said, not preaching because I admit to acting immature myself at times as well. I just am a bit more aware now of how bad the other driver may be when doing so. That was really my only point, always consider that even in "safe" conditions, the other driver may simply not be skilled enough to handle their car. I am guilty of taking off at lights, with no peds or other vehicles ahead and getting to the speed limit (not over) very fast when challenged. But if the driver looks young (ie inexperienced) , looks like it is a borrowed car, or is driving poorly before the challenge, I turn the other cheek. Maybe what I stated was obvious to everybody, but it was an "ah-ha" moment for me in my late 30s seeing a clearly inexperienced driver almost wreck a car too powerful for their skill set.

I constantly live in fearful ponderance of what that ticket might have been. :(

Yeah. I think we all have had those moments. ironic...the fastest i have ever been in a car was back in 1992. i owned a 1992 LT1 corvette witha few mods. only 330 Hp and a 6 speed tranny. But back in those days, anything over 250 hp was crazy talk.

Anyway, I decided on a road trip i wanted to top it out. On I44 west bound in Oklahoma on the turnpike, i let loose. Everything was great up to 130mph. Beyond that it started getting a little skittish. I help on to red line in 5th gear at an indicated 163mph. I shifted to 6th and started slowing down from drag.

i could only imagine how much jail time something like that would cost.

Haha. I would have just had to let him go with my wife and girls in the car. My wife likes to drive fast but not when she's not the one in control. One daughter screams "faster" while the other cries in fear anytime I give it a hint of gas. Sigh...

Speaking of street racing I'm sure there's probably some forum rule on here banning it so I hope we don't get locked talking about this. My best was against a debaged and blacked out Mercedes neck and neck at 135mph in a 55 zone (don't worry, it was a huge open straightaway and as safe as it ever gets). I was laughing as I slid over into his lane as we both flew past a corvette. I can only imagine his surprise when two black sedans flew by his sports car at such speeds. I constantly live in fearful ponderance of what that ticket might have been. Gulp! Never want to be that stupid again...but I can't promise I won't. :(

I'm just going to assume that this racing is done on a road in some third world country without traffic laws. Carry on. :lol:

I'm just going to assume that this racing is done on a road in some third world country without traffic laws. Carry on. :lol:

Best Site EVER!

Seriously. My last car forum always got their panties in a wad anytime talks like this came up. We are all adults. just some of us act a little childish. But we are fully aware of our actions and Repercussions.

^^^ Haven't seen that vid before, but that is precisely what I am talking about. Too much power, not enough skill, no matter how good of a driver I am (or think I am) I can't control other's stupidity. The guy on the left suffered because of the guy on the right.....don't be the guy on the left.

I have watched that vid before. Wuold loved for the guy with the camera to have filmed the conversation they had when they both got out of the car.

"dude, sweet ride...i though i had you, but i had to switch gears and..."

"shut the hell up you moth f'ing tool. I am going to tell all my corvette buddies to no longer give you the corvette pinky wave"

If you dont know about the corvette pinky wave...it's classic. anytime you you pass another corvette, you just give enough effort to raise your pinky off the steering wheel. and wave to the other guy. shows you are both real cool guys who only wave at other cool guys.

sort of like how motorcycles wave ateach other...but with much more douchery

sadly, i used to be one of those guys and did the very same wave. drove my girlfreind (now wife) nuts. when she drove the corvette, she waved with her middle finger if you know what i mean.

I know what you guys are talking about. I can admit this now because I am mature about it now and I hope you guys can be semi mature as well, I can take some heat from you all its cool. When I was 19, I was in my 02 Z28(full bolt ons,333whp) and I wasn't even racing, just showing off at night in front of an outdoor restaurant. Took off from a roll grabbed 2nd gear began to slide through the corner, I stayed in it feathering through, then bang.......everything in slow motion now.....car spins...and spins....my thoughts are "all my hard earned money soon down the drain".....shit the car is still spinning....counter steer..no hit the brakes....no ....awe F it......hit the curb, busted my rims, and hit a parked car. It cost 3500 to fix, but its a lesson I will never forget. I still have the car, I turned it into a 900whp weekend warrior. But I only have fun under the most safest conditions now. I play on the street but not like before. Keep it safe guys