Ecoboost Owner Forums

Staggered wheel set up?

Thanks...I don't plan on getting the wheels/tires anytime soon either. I agree things add up too damn quickly. Specially with 3 kids (one starting college next year), some of my "Wants" have to be place on the back burner for now. However after I saw Rick's (LMS) pictures of a black 2013, I'm thinking of getting one. I just won't tell Big Bertha that I might be trading her in within a year or so...LOL.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree... Just want others to be aware that some wheels are too big and too wide, or not the right offset.

On my 2009 G8, I purchased wheels and rear tires from TireRack that were listed as a fit for my vehicle. The fronts were 30 offset vs 48 stock and rear 9.5" (up from 8" stock) were 35 offset. Tires were 275 x 35 x 19 vs 245-40-19 stock. On one drag run, I not only cut the drivers side tire, I also bent the fender lip. Fortunately the tire damage was not severe enough to replace & the fender was fine after using a fender roller..

For comparison, I installed a staggered set of wheels/tires on my 2008 about 6 months earlier. Those 9.5" rears had a 45 offset. Tires were 285-35-19 and were 1 inch wider than the 275's that rubbed on other G8. These tires cleared just fine, and only brushed the fenders when the car was loaded with 4 people + luggage + going thru a dip, like entering a shopping ctr etc.

The difference was completely do to having the correct offset for the wheel well. Interestingly, a friend also got a set of those 35 offset 9.5" rears and severely damaged his 275 Pilots. Tire rack took wheels & tires back & he got a set that fit with a higher # offset (less offset). Then TireRack de-listed these wheels as a fitment for G8's.

FYI... the larger wheels and tires on the rear weigh 4-5 lbs more each than the stock size tires on custom 8.5" wheels (which weighted almost exactly as stock).

Love the staggered look, especially on a rear drive car that has no issues with tire diameters, other than for speedo & odo.

Mike, you should have NO issues with a 40 offset package, on the outside, because the stock offset with 8" wheels is 38. While I haven't tried them, my drag slicks which are 18" x 9" with 33 offset, should easily fit on the rear, and they have 285 x 40 x18 on them. Now they may rub on the inside if you put the 10" rears on the front!!!!!! But man would it look KICK ASS at the strip!!!!!!

The wheels shown are 20" and from what I was told a Vossen 20 x 10.5 is 26.5 lbs. I've looked at the fender lips on my Taurus and they look like they've been rolled at the factory.... I was going to get you going and say I was going to do it with a baseball bat.:hat:.

I am going to remove my winter wheels soon and install my lowering springs, then I'll take measurements to see what will fit in the wheel wells. You need to get the wider 10.5 or 11 inch wheels to get that deep concave look. I'm hoping a 10.5 will fit nicely and I will not be stretching any tires onto the wheels. It looks kind of neat but I dont want trouble when I'm pushing it around a corner at a buck twenty.

Stock 20" wheels weigh 32 lbs or 63 lbs on Flex with 255-45-20 Goodyear RS-A's. Great weight for a 10.5. Was pretty sure the fender lips on SHO had a factory roll, as my Flex does. And... lots of people use a baseball bat to roll their fenders:RpS_crying: ( but only the first time they do it!!!) With a factory style fender roll and wheels/tires that stick out beyond the fender, you likely would just wear a bit of paint off:faint::target::jaw:, unless you hit an enormous bump. Then you would just bend the fender!!!!!:censored::frusty::censored::violin: If that happens... a torch:flame::flame::RpS_thumbdn: is the best fixer upper!!!!!:amen::RpS_laugh::RpS_laugh::RpS_laugh:

In 69' I had a new Vette with a 350/350 stick & sidepipes. Had the fenders, custom pearl paint & Goodyear Bluestreak Racing tires on really wide Anson wheels. Hit a big bump about 4 miles after all the mods, and even though I was only going about 15 mph..... I cracked out both rear fenders....:RpS_crying::RpS_crying::RpS_crying::RpS_crying::RpS_crying: And I'm still crying about it....This was about a year after I got that Red 68' Shelby 350 Mustang conv stuck on the beach in the Bahamas at low tide.... Wife has NEVER forgiven me on that one.....

They come in two versions. Concave and regular and are called Niche "Touring wheels" Nurburg's. As I showed above.

Click on the link over the size I gave and you will be taken to MHT where they make them.

Offsets I am not clear on as to what they offer. I'm thinking 35, 40 and 25.

CarID has them and others as well.

My son works there and makes the wheels. They have a pic of some mounted on a MB.

Also a configuration tool which so happens to not include those wheels. : DAMN:

Here is a place

Went to site... questionable fit... 35 offset fronts might work. 40 rears should be no problem. I have 18 x 9 fronts at 33 offset with 285-40 Drag Radials and they work fine... stick out slightly due to wide tire. 245 should look great.... so the 35 should be no problem on front, unless the spokes interfere with brake calipers.

My son has a 20x10 with a 40 offset in back on his mustang and a 20x9 35offset in front.

Going to swap rims and try just for fit purpose and see. Just as soon as I can so I know.

His is the Black one. Mine is the Grabber Orange one. It has the Shelby Razor's 20x9 w 24 offset. So I will try his on instead.:heh:

2012-03-18_18-00-41_916.jpg

My son has a 20x10 with a 40 offset in back on his mustang and a 20x9 35offset in front.

Going to swap rims and try just for fit purpose and see. Just as soon as I can so I know.

His is the Black one. Mine is the Grabber Orange one. It has the Shelby Razor's 20x9 w 24 offset. So I will try his on instead.:heh:

2012-03-18_18-00-41_916.jpg

Oh wow...... just wow. I would love to see a pic of your son's wheels on your SHO.

That shot from the rear is such a tease. Definitely MUST post pics of them on your SHO.

Front, side, from the rear..... ooh i'm excited as that will definitely give me a solid idea of what they'd look like on our SHO's.

Can't wait!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Ok here ya go. Did just the rears. 20x10 w 40 offset. This is what it would look like.

The tire size I would have to goto something taller, these are just too short. 285/30 R20's is the tire you see.

And try and match the front dia size at the same time if we went to 20x9 in front, 20x10 in rear.

2012-03-18_19-53-45_397.jpg

2012-03-18_19-52-26_886.jpg

2012-03-18_19-53-17_916.jpg

Also, These tires and rim comb looks large and fits the Stang really good & stuffed into the wheel well.

But when on the SHO it is gobbled up in the wheel well.

22" rims or more tire height is going to work better I tink.

I vote for more tire myself. I know what it was like going from a stock tire to the ones I now have on my Shelby.

Mandatory Slow down at any bumps and I must wear a kidney belt now when driving the Stang, LoL.

I want a nice ride so more tire for me and sticking with the 20"ers.

Also, These tires and rim comb looks large and fits the Stang really good & stuffed into the wheel well.

But when on the SHO it is gobbled up in the wheel well.

22" rims or more tire height is going to work better I tink.

I vote for more tire myself. I know what it was like going from a stock tire to the ones I now have on my Shelby.

Mandatory Slow down at any bumps and I must wear a kidney belt now when driving the Stang, LoL.

I want a nice ride so more tire for me and sticking with the 20"ers.

Agreed on the 20's -- Go any larger than that and you're too susceptible to rim damage. UGG (expensive)

Ride quality will be much better with more rubber and 20's too.

C.

The Mustang 20's show up as 26.8" tall vs stock SHO 20's at 28.7" according to TireRack site. I am running 27" vs 29" stock on my Flex and everyone feels they are way to small looking. My ride is firm, in fact firmer than either of my G8's which have stock suspensions. Tires are XL, which have a higher load capacity than stock 20's, even though smaller, which makes them much firmer. So.. different tires can ride very different.

Thought the wheels looked great on your SHO.. An ME BEING ME... I had no issues with the tire size. Would be about 7-8% smaller. Should make SHO faster due to axle ratio chg.

Thanks a bunch Flip....

I like 'em, A LOT.

Think those are a winner! Well for me at least. I'll plan on sticking with the following rim/tire sizes as originally planned:

20x8.5's up front (40mm offset) along with the 255/45 ZR20 105W Conti DWS's.

20x10's in the rear (40mm offset) along with the 275/40 ZR20 105W Conti DWS's.

I like how they look on the Metallic White too. Definitely a much better pic seeing them actually ON a similiar SHO, rather than the CAD created artistic renderings that so many aftermarket tire companies utilize to allow potential buyers to view the rims "on their car" first.

Thanks once again.

Your welcome. My son did all the work. Remember when picking out your tire size you pick matching diameters for all wheel drive. And If you can get something as close to the stock dia. as possible for your odometer readings purpose.

Sent while out & about with my SHO on Tapatalk!!

Stock Dia here

I checked and it matches mine. I measured circumference and / PI. Most accurate way to measure. Point being I believe we can trust their spec's

Interesting read on matching tires

Mike your tire combo/set has a diff. or .3 on the dia. Not sure if that is killer or not.

Archived