Ecoboost Owner Forums

Staggered wheel set up?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike your tire combo/set has a difference of .3 on the diameter.

Not sure if that is killer, or not?

I don't think that it will be an issue quite honestly.

It should be within an acceptable range/tolerance.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I don't think that it will be an issue quite honestly.

It should be within an acceptable range/tolerance.

Interesting read on matching tires

Mike your tire combo/set has a diff. or .3 on the dia. According to the spec chart listed from manf.

Yes I thought the same, but the link above seems to be really concerned with even wear on 4 originally matched tires. That Rotation is very much encouraged.

Yes, I know that this place is and wants to sell tires and to get you to replace all 4 when ever one goes out so you do not have 1 tire or even two that have full tread when the others are worn some.

What does FORD say? I would be interested in that. And that would be all we need in case of a warranty issue on the drive train if something should fail and they want to chalk it up to staggered tires and rims.

I'm interested cuz this is what I want to do as well.

I have even heard of people getting the tires as close as they can and then having the larger ones turned to the smaller Dia tire so that match exactly. I would assume that some cars (maybe not ours) need this much attention.

Just Info I wanted to share:

Well, After some research this is what I will be going to,

yes it may be some time from now but when I pull the trigger these will be the sizes.:tongue:

Front:

Rim: 20x8.5

(maybe 20x9, prefer this size but the rim I want is only offered in 8.5. And with the 35mm offset.)

Tire: 245/45-20 BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2

(has a 28.7 Dia like stock original, exact)

So this should be status-quo.

--------------------

Rear:

Rim: 20x10 And with the 40mm offset.

(10.5 possibly will not work and will rub. Rim I want only comes in 25mm offset with this width. If another offset like 40 it could possibly work)

Tire: 275/40-20 BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2

(has a 28.7 Dia like stock original, exact)

This is the rim or one close to style: Niche_Nurburg_Silver

[ATTACH=CONFIG]274[/ATTACH]

And this tire.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]275[/ATTACH]

I shopped around for tire size of dia. and Brand. Making sure of OD.

This is the only Brand I was interested in that even offered both sizes.

Some brands/styles offered one size but not the other.

Now they will match exact and they will be as Stock original Dia. as well.

Note: Not all tire Brands/Styles are offered by the manf. in both these sizes that happen to match the stock original tire OD.

The goal here is to have matching OD's (front to rear) that are as close to original stock Dia. (for odometer) as possible and these match exact.

:blabla::blabla::blabla::blabla::blabla:

post-33-142532286423_thumb.jpg

post-33-142532286424_thumb.jpg

post-33-142532286423_thumb.jpg

post-33-142532286424_thumb.jpg

While our systems are different from a Subaru's, my son says that in his case (Forrester) that all tires need to be replaced at the same time and rotated frequently so as to keep them as exact diameter as possible. If not Subaru's get premature drive line wear and get noisy, besides other issues.

While I have no plans at this time to go to a staggered set on my Flex, (like I have on all my other vehicles) except at the strip, I would definitely make sure tire diameters are within .1 just to be extra careful. Know my current tires are likely at least that far off, simply because of wear. If I started with a variance, it could get even further, as fronts wear faster than rears, so if they were the smallest of the 2, it would get worse. However in Mike's case with DWS, his fronts are larger, so over time he will get closer to identical dia.

At the end of the day... with all our mods... the name of the game is... If you gotta play... you better be able to pay!

I washed the car today and took a quick glance of the rear wheel for clearance. It's definitely going to be a tight fit in there with a 10" wheel as the inner wheel well cover appears to be very close to the tire. You'll definitely need a more negative offset. Good news is the rear fender sticks past the factory wheel at least an inch...

• 2 weeks later...

The other thing that you guys are not taking into account is tire wear. The fronts wear significantly faster than the rears because it handles more weight, especially while turning and braking. Let's say that the average tire comes with 12/32 of tread on the tire (a typical tire comes with 10-12 32nds of tread). If you run a staggered setup, when the fronts wear all the way down to the 2/32 mark (which is the wear bar on the tire), the rears would probably be sitting somewhere around 7/32nds of tread. The difference being 5/32 which is 0.156". But wait, you have to double that because a tire is, you guess it, round and what is on top is also on bottom. So your radius difference of .156" is an Overall Diameter difference of .312". That's pretty significant and is why some AWD vehicles have to have all the tires replaced in the case of a single tire failure or if the owner neglects to rotate the tires.

Now I know our SHO's have a funky AWD system and don't really know the full extent of how they work and am curious since it is not a 50/50 AWD system. It transfers so much power to the back and then when you reach a certain amount of torque back there it keep the rest up front or something like that. I do remember from glancing at the owners manual that it will detect when a spare is put on and disengage the AWD system automatically to prevent damage to it.

So, in my opinion, if you want to run staggered you better have 4 fronts to rotate out and have 2 rears that will be on the vehicle full time and God help you if you have a complete non-repairable tire failure. Replacing 6 tires would suck.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back to the top - my first post here! SHO will be my next vehicle (still a few months out from purchasing a pre-owned).

Do you think that a 20x10.5 30 offset would fit in the rear? The wheels I'm looking at don't come in a 20x10. From the 1010tires offset calculator this woudl give me 4mm MORE clearence on the inside and push the outside out 16mm from the 20x10 40 offset that we know fits. I'm not afraid to roll the fenders :)

Fronts are available in a 20x8.5 32 offset - which would be 8mm further out from the front setup that bpd is planning to run.

Watts.......

Welcome aboard there newbie :welcome:

I personally am not entirely sure about the sizes / offsets you are proposing.

I would say that it seems our resident tire expert here on EBF is fellow member EcoBrickBob & he'd probably be able to provide you with an answer :noidea:

I know that for me, August is getting closer and closer and I can't wait for that extra windfall of cash expected to come my way so I can order the set up I desire to.....

Got tires already, just sit'n in my basement collecting dust, and picking up TPMS sensors next week hopefully.

So umm yea......

The itch needs to be scratched so badly :twitch:

Bringing this back to the top - my first post here! SHO will be my next vehicle (still a few months out from purchasing a pre-owned).

Do you think that a 20x10.5 30 offset would fit in the rear? The wheels I'm looking at don't come in a 20x10. From the 1010tires offset calculator this woudl give me 4mm MORE clearence on the inside and push the outside out 16mm from the 20x10 40 offset that we know fits. I'm not afraid to roll the fenders :)

Fronts are available in a 20x8.5 32 offset - which would be 8mm further out from the front setup that bpd is planning to run.

The fenders on a SHO are already rolled. No further rolling possible in my opinion. (I have a tire roller and have rolled the fenders on my G8's & GTO's) There are approximately 25 mm in an inch, so your wheels would stick out another 6 tenths of an inch. I would be very concerned this wouldn't fit without an on-vehicle fitment test. If you really got on it and had tire touch fender, you could damage one or the other severely. This happened to me on my 09' G8 GT. Tire was 275-35-19 on 35 offset 19 x9.5 wheel. Cut a tire slightly and also slightly bent fender lip. Rolling fixed issue and I live with tire cut. On my 08' GT, I have 285-35-19s on 45 offset 19 x 9.5 wheels and had NO issues, with a tire that is almost 1" wider, just because of the smaller offset.

I am running 18" x 9" 32 offset wheels on my Flex (pix on site) and they fit almost perfectly relative to fender views. Wheels that stick out further are going to give you that "Ricer" look.... in my opinion.

So EBB...... just for my own sanity.

The 40mm offset I am antcipating ordering (for both front & rear) should be ok then correct?

August is approaching quickly and need a lil reassurance before I order accordingly.

Thank you sir.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Stock rim 20 x 8" 38 offset. 245-45-20" tire

Front 255-45-20 1.4% taller than stock. Nurbergring 20"x8.5" 40 offset rim. .3" closer to suspension components due to deeper backspace. Rim will stick out .1" further and tire edge roughly .3" from stock. You could use up to a 3mm spacer to gain another 1/8".

Rear 275-40-20" same height as stock. Nurbergring 20 x10" 40 offset rim. .7" closer to suspension components due to deeper backspace. Rim will stick out .5" further and tire edge roughly 1" more than stock. You again could use a 3mm spacer. While I don't think there are any fitment issues with the .7 reduction in space between suspension & tire, you should check out the current spacing and figure you need around 1" for rim and tire to clear.

I just ran everything again on my wheel and tire calculator just to be sure.

I think those will really look good on your White SHO with white/black theme. Only improvement would be WHITE WALL TIRES!!!!! LOL:yell::yell::yell::lol::lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I currently run a 20x8.5 ET 35 245/45 tire with a 1/2" spacer in front and a 1/4" in back with no problems. You will have NO problems with either front or rears with the new setup. My new Forgestar F14's I have coming in (be here 6/1/12) are 20x9.5 ET 36 Front and 20x9.5 ET 42 rear are the same position on the outer, but deeper on the inner and I still don't think I will have any rubbing in the front with 275/40's all around. I got under and measured and what I see is plenty of room in the rear and full turn may (I say that loosely) rub on fender wall ( I think it will be good) slightly.

I appreciate the verification and updates from both of you guys.....

More so now beacuse I'm angling to try and get these wheels and tires in (and on my SHO) before it's very 1st major car show event here in Chi-Town.

June 16th, 2012 @ Toyota Park in Bridgeview, IL.

It's a B96 FM sponsored show, and is also the same day they are holding their "B-Bash" from what I understand.

Here's the flyer ------> http://boomentertainment.com/Boom_B96_Car_Show_2012_Summer_Bash.html

I will be rolling in with 50+ cars as part of my car club called "Team Shockwave".

So to have this set up on my SHO for this event would be killer.

So the added reassurances are much appreciated :thumb:

TSW Wheels Ordered Today! :whoo:

Should have everything coordinated, mounted, balanced, installed etc. by either....

Thursday June 7th, 2012 or Friday June 8th, 2012 :thumb:

More pics forthcoming.

As always....... stay tuned :bolt:

I've been staring at those TSW center caps & I'm think'n I may have to pop them out and have them redone.

Just to help further my black white theme.

I'm envisioning the enter background to be done in White Metallic, and then having a small, solid black 'SHO' logo to replace the current 'TSW'.

Because of their location, I'm probably gonna have to reach out to my body shop friends to accomplish this and also clear coat 'em accordingly.

Think'n that oughta set off the wheels just a tad bit further. Nothing huge mind you in the overall grand scheme of things, but suttle.

As for the center caps, I haven't tried them, but it's possible your Ford ones may fit. Also, the guy that had SHO ones (vinyl stickers) would also work and be a reasonable short term fix. Perhaps you could have him do them the way you want using white metallic vinyl with a Black SHO. Once on.. your body shop could clear coat them.

I too would like some different covers for my TSW caps. Might even put SHO ones on if I can get... since I have some other SHO logos on my Brick.... after all... it's close to a SHO wagon!

New TSW Nurburgring's being delivered late afternoon tomorrow (Thursday 06/7/12).

My Manager pal is off tomorrow, but assured me he's going in early on Friday (06/08/12) to make sure everything's mounted up, balanced, etc. so I can drive on in and get the OEM stripped off, and the new TSW set installed.

So, get'n more excited as the day or arrival creeps closer and closer.

Speaking of the OEM set..... I plan on having them remove the OEM Michelin Primacy's and just leaving me with the OEM rims by themselves (minus tires/sensors).

I'm think'n about selling the factory upgraded, OEM wheels and would let them go to a fellow member for around $150 a wheel.

Seems reasonable as most searches I've done on eBay are pricing them individually in the $250-$275 range, and a full set at around $800+.

I'll post an official thread when that comes, along with pics (although admittedly, there should be enough pics floating around out there already, haha).

Archived