Ecoboost Owner Forums

Will 275/40-20 Tires fit?

timbo

I see that Nitto makes the NT-05 in the 275/40-20 size (same diameter as the stock 245/45-20) and was wondering if anyone has put tires on of that size. Stock wheels are 8.5in wide and min recommended is 9in. I will be getting a new set of wheels, don't know which. But it'll be after these Cooper RS3-S's are done. Put them on 10k ago and they have barely worn. If I'm the first, I'll report back. Like everything I do though, don't hold your breath.

I cant say for sure on the SHO, but my Genesis that I just sold, the fronts are 8s and the rears are 8.5s, and I was running a 275/35/19 tire on the rear. It stuck out a little from the rim, but probably less than 1/4 of an inch. Only difference is mine was a smaller side profile, which would make me think it would be harder to fit. The 2 numbers that really matter in this comparrison is mine was a 275 on a 8.5, and thats what you are trying to do on the SHO. I would say as long as you have the clearance for the rubber, so its not hitting any suspension parts, it would fit.

Timbo.....

1st, stock wheels are 8" wide. Not 8.5.

2nd, i'm running that size tire, but only in the rear. Even then, those are wrapped around 10" wide wheels.

There's been several discussions, here, and elsewhere, that due to turning radius / ratios, it's probable not feasible to run that same size up front.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

IDK Y, but different tire site's have listed different rim widths for the stock rims.

Which is why I measured mine when I removed them.

Not only from the car, but also the tires from the stock rims before selling them.

8's.

But regardless, point of the thread, I don't think running this desired tire width would work up front.

I would bargain to say there'll be noticeable rub at each and every turn, whether turning left, or right.

Cool. I was unaware he was running that width at each corner.

Well then, that bodes well for this member then.

Maybe 1stSHO Mike will chime in and help out on this issue :noidea:

Not sure what size tire he's running either.

All the more reason for him to pipe up.

I am running 275/40-20 on 9.5 Forgestars all around offset on the wheels are 36 up front and 42 out back. I pulled the inner fenders in up front, but noticed when I pulled the wheels off this weekend for some new traction mods :RpS_biggrin: (don't worry I will update later) I noticed i do rub slightly on full right or full left turning. Not enough to worry about, but it tells me these are the widest we can go without doing something more with the inner fender.

8" would be too narrow. 8.5 would be pushing it. 9" is on the low end of the recommended and after putting on a set of 275/40-18's on my friend's '05 CTS-V, they looked perfectly fine. No bulge at all, straight up and down on the side wall. Nitto's do run narrow for their width. I'm not planning on putting them on a set of stock wheels, those i will save for some winter wheels or good all-season ones.

Great info, thanks for all the replies.