Ecoboost Owner Forums

Really think about upgrading my audio system

I'm planning to upgrade the audio system in my 13. There are several processors out there that will allow us to add an audiophile speaker and amplifiers but retain the My Touch system. Has anyone looked into any of these. Im currently researching the AUDISON Bit One and Bit Ten, JBL MS-8 and the Rockford 3Sixty.3. All have there on Pros and Cons just need a little advice if anyone has also looked at doing this.

The Audison parts are probably going to be the best factory integration modules you can buy.

If just replacing the sony amp, that shouldnt be an issue. I only have an 11, but so far ive already replaced the subs with 2 10s, and ill probably be waiting until spring to finish the components. I already ordered a RE 4 channel (but might swap it out for a zapco) and then ill probably do Hertz speakers. Im actually pretty satisfied with the stock sony system now that ive added subs and got the bass off the doors, the mids and highs arent that bad. So now that it sounds fine for now, im gonna do tint, tune, and springs first. Only had the car about 2 weeks, already did the subs and today did a 2 way remote start system. Already ordered a Intake, just waiting for it to show up. lol

A very good friend/installer has the Bit One in his car and LOVES it. So it's high on my list. The JBL is close because of the built in amp. I can hook up the center ch and rear field without having to buy another amp. I currently have Focal KP2 3 way set, a 4 tweet set that I can use for the center, 2 kicker L5 8" subs, and 2 old school Xtant amps. All I really need is the processor. With the trunk being as large as it is I can mount the amps in a false floor and glass the subs into each side while retaining 80% of the space. Of course with my limited schedule and family time it's going to take me a long time b4 I will have the install complete. Being new to Houston and a former installer I don't know enough about the local installers to turn my keys over to anyone. The research continues.......By the way I was a Zapco dealer for a long time and would recommend Zapco amp 150%. Love their sound. My go to setup back in the day was Focal speakers Image subs and Zapco amps.

What intake are you buying? I'm going with K&N.

I bought an airaid intake.

On a side note, I went and listened to a bunch of speakers I was thinking about buying. And with trying to stay in my budget, I really like the Hertz Hi Energy series. Sadly even with a good deal they are $500. But I need to step into a good set, instead of buying a new pair every year or so in search of that awesome pair for only $200. lol

I hear you! I've been in the car audio game for many years and have had many different bands. Always in search of something new. My Focals are over 10 years old, the Xtant amps 15 years old. They work and sound amazing. Now like you I paid a pretty penny for the speakers but I've gotten my money's worth over the years. Save for what you really want and you won't be sorry. I will post some pics of my shop's old work soon. I was only open for 4 years but was blessed to have done work for some pretty cool people.

Part of the reason I lost touch in car audio...is no onger getting equipment at cost. While labor is always free because i do it my self' date=' paying full price for amps, speakers, and cables adds up quickly.[/quote']

This is why I have a hard time branching away from the products I sell.

For instance, you may not like Kicker, but look up the Kicker QS65.2, they are about 5-600$ retail. And there is no way id pay that for them, id buy a set of Hi Energy Hertz for that much, BUT when you can get the QS's for $150, they are amazing compared to other $150 speakers. So thats what I normally end up running. So its not that I have a problem spending $500 on a set of components, my problem is, am I going to like them enough to justify the extra $350 over the QS's.

Link to the QS's

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19433_Kicker-QS65.2-09QS65.2.html

This is why I have a hard time branching away from the products I sell.

For instance, you may not like Kicker, but look up the Kicker QS65.2, they are about 5-600$ retail. And there is no way id pay that for them, id buy a set of Hi Energy Hertz for that much, BUT when you can get the QS's for $150, they are amazing compared to other $150 speakers. So thats what I normally end up running. So its not that I have a problem spending $500 on a set of components, my problem is, am I going to like them enough to justify the extra $350 over the QS's.

Link to the QS's

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19433_Kicker-QS65.2-09QS65.2.html

I like Kicker comp set. They have always had great sound quality. And yes I do realize your point. When I worked for CC back in the day I was buying Dynaudio from a local shop. They gave me discounts but no where near employee accomadation pricing. It's hard to pass that saving up.

For instance' date=' you may not like Kicker,[/url']

Back in the day (1990... worked at Advanced Auto Alarm from 87-94) I was in pretty tight with the Kicker rep. I was able to take the kicker demo truck (chevy 3/4 ton with a big covered bed on it) to the lake of the ozarks over a weekend. With instructions to go down to the strip and "make some noise". Ah those were the days.

We were a big Yamaha shop when they did car audio, but the hey day was in PPI, Phenoix Gold, and we were the only JL audio seller in missouri...this is when they we just starting out, and not the big whore of a company they are now.

You used to have to give JL enclosure specs before they would approve warrenty. now they sell to anyone.

I agree with you guys. I have run top of the line from almost every manufacturer. I use to work at ABT electronics and not being able to get the stuff at cost, really does hurt your pocket. I did find an amazing brand though called Hybrid Audio, due to the dealer being local. I am now currently running their three way setup with an 8" in the doors 4" and 1" for the mid-high range. It wasn't cheap, but I guarantee you I won't ever buy another set, unless something happens to them. I have run the Focal K2 Power line, Dynaudio Esostar, JL Audio ZR, Boston Acoustic Z's, and so many more. But I spent a lot of money and got the Hybrids and will never turn back. Even their lower line is just stellar. I highly recommend you guys look into them if you are considering purchasing a new setup.

OP I would suggest the Audison and or JBL. Which I think we touched base on this a little bit in another thread. Both are stellar units.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got to play around with the Rockford processor and it really has some cool features. To Be able to control it via bluetooth is 1 of them. But I can't help but think the JBL with its built in amp to drive the center channel is a real plus. As the JBL sits I can use all my old equipment and use the JBL amp for center and rear fill. Anyway I will be starting on the sub enclosure 1st. Passenger side of the trunk or spare tire well??? Any suggestions.