Ecoboost Owner Forums

Stupid question. Super or regular?

I'm not sure about the 2012 or 2013, but the 2010 and 2011 just recommend premium. As mentioned above, they will be perfectly happy with 87 as well. On all the vehicles I've seen that came from the factory requiring premium fuel have a sticker inside the fuel door stating such. Something like "Premium Only 91+".

-Rod

If you do that while tuned surely bad things happen.

I was under the impression that in a pinch (not a regular habit) , if 93 was not available, 89 or 91 would be okay. You may have performance issues, but what else do you mean by "surely bad things happen"?

I think some of the various flavors of 'tunes' require certain octane levels.

However, this engine does not require super with the factory tuning. Which is a rarity in the DI, turbocharged world. Most all similar engines from other manufacturers either require super or strongly recommend it. Many overlook that small detail when looking at competitors.

So are you running regular?

I think some of the various flavors of 'tunes' require certain octane levels.

However, this engine does not require super with the factory tuning. Which is a rarity in the DI, turbocharged world. Most all similar engines from other manufacturers either require super or strongly recommend it. Many overlook that small detail when looking at competitors.

Sometimes when traveling I can't get my usual 93 octane to feed the 4+ tune. I wondered if I should flash back to another tune (2/3), or stock, or if maybe I could as a band aid fix, add some octane booster to hold me till my next tank of 93. Livernois said the bottled boost was a no-no for sure and they thought the only safe options were to go back to stock or..... to feather foot it. I'd rather not play musical chairs with my tunes so next time I'm driving through Maine for instance if I'm forced to fill up with 91 octane I'll try staying off the turbos.

Bad things include excessive spark knock caused by the timing advance from the tune. This can lead to piston failures and other such things that you don't want. There are a lot of factors and I don't know what Livernois does with the timing tables (there are typically ones for "Premium" gas and ones for "Regular" that the car will fall back to if it is knocking too much) but I wouldn't run it on 87 or 91 if it is tuned for 93. Or if you do because you have to I definitely wouldn't be flooring it. They can usually get away with the dual fuel rating from the factory because there is some margin for error so to speak and the amount of knock generated typically won't hurt much before it falls back to the lower timing table. If its tuned much of that safety factor is gone and it could conceivably cause some damage before it actually failed over to the lower timing tables. That said even stock I would be leary about switching from premium to regular - I would drive it easy for a while until the computer figured out you put in lower octane gas.

Octane booster is typically useless...it raises the overall octane rating of your fuel by a couple of fractions of a point at best.

Bad things include excessive spark knock caused by the timing advance from the tune. This can lead to piston failures and other such things that you don't want. There are a lot of factors and I don't know what Livernois does with the timing tables (there are typically ones for "Premium" gas and ones for "Regular" that the car will fall back to if it is knocking too much) but I wouldn't run it on 87 or 91 if it is tuned for 93. Or if you do because you have to I definitely wouldn't be flooring it. They can usually get away with the dual fuel rating from the factory because there is some margin for error so to speak and the amount of knock generated typically won't hurt much before it falls back to the lower timing table. If its tuned much of that safety factor is gone and it could conceivably cause some damage before it actually failed over to the lower timing tables. That said even stock I would be leary about switching from premium to regular - I would drive it easy for a while until the computer figured out you put in lower octane gas.

Octane booster is typically useless...it raises the overall octane rating of your fuel by a couple of fractions of a point at best.

Soooo....If you were in the situation I mentioned, you would re-tune for 91 octane (stage 2 or 3), plus featherfoot until the computer had time to get itself updated.

I was under the impression that in a pinch (not a regular habit) ' date=' if 93 was not available, 89 or 91 would be okay. You may have performance issues, but what else do you mean by "surely bad things happen"?[/quote']

This is correct. As you stated, you wouldn't want to make it a regular habit but if you're in a situation where it's lesser octane or nothing at all, you can run lower octane fuel. You would want to be very careful with it to not romp on the engine too hard and to replace the sub-premium gas with the correct octane as soon as possible, but it can be done.

I believe it is recommended that super unleaded be used on my 2013 SHO. I am having trouble seeing this written anywhere though. This is correct, rit? Is anyone using regular? Told you it was a stupid question.

Thanks.

It says in the owners manual for my 2013 that regular (87 octane) is recommended, but for improved performance or when towing to use premium.

You would want to be very careful with it to not romp on the engine too hard and to replace the sub-premium gas with the correct octane as soon as possible' date=' but it can be done.[/quote']

No issue. The computer will pull timing if any knock happens. Unles you are on a Dyno, or at a track, you won't knotice this.

In most cases, mpg and performance will be the same. Lower octane will not always cause knock.

In most cases' date=' mpg and performance will be the same. Lower octane will not always cause knock.[/quote']

This seems accurate. My wife always uses the 89 octane in her EcoBoost MKT (89 octane E-15 is less than 87 around here) and her MKT still gets up and scoots. And, yes, I have tried to convince her that she'd be better served to run 91+, but it's no use. I have to be sure to remind her when she drives my Aviator that she needs to put Premium in it. She doesn't drive my SHO, so no issue there.

-Rod

No issue. The computer will pull timing if any knock happens. Unles you are on a Dyno, or at a track, you won't knotice this.

In most cases, mpg and performance will be the same. Lower octane will not always cause knock.

Sorry, I should have been more clear - on the stock tune, 87 octane will be fine. In this case of those with an aftermarket tune that specifies higher octane gasoline, lower-octane can still be used in a pinch but one would want to be gentle with the car and replace with the prescribed octane soonest.

I got a brochure from the dealer and it says that for improved performance to use premium fuel. I believe their mpg numbers come from the premium numbers too.

For a twin turbo'd car does it really matter? This is my first ecoboost vehicle. I filled her up for the first time on Friday and put premium in her. My feeling that for the purposes I have for her regular would be fine. Sure there will be some spirited driving but for the most part normal driving.

Clearly not a stupid question at all! You've generated a number of insightful answers offering useful perspectives. My hunch, if you're really hammering on it or have it tuned for a higher octane, than you better stay away from the low-grade crud. But for the vast majority of drivers the vast majority of the time, the lower octane should be fine.

Now, a discussion on fuel detergents might lead you elsewhere, but that's another can of worms.

I got a brochure from the dealer and it says that for improved performance to use premium fuel. I believe their mpg numbers come from the premium numbers too.

For a twin turbo'd car does it really matter? This is my first ecoboost vehicle. I filled her up for the first time on Friday and put premium in her. My feeling that for the purposes I have for her regular would be fine. Sure there will be some spirited driving but for the most part normal driving.

My answer to your question...Yes it does matter, my car was filled with regular when I took delivery of it and then I switched to premium (93) as soon as I filled up the first time. Within 2 or 3 fills I could tell that there was an improvement in both performance and fuel economy. I have found that using premium fuel yields the best fuel economy, and also without a doubt a better level of performance. I really believe that premium fuel should be used in the car and for the few dollars you save using regular, you will get back in the improved performance and economy. I don't mean just when you are driving aggressively but even in normal driving the improvement from premium is worth it's cost. However, since I am running a tune I must say that I am now limited to premium fuel, but I really believe that the tune also helped improve the fuel economy too, even in every day driving...but, that savings goes away quickly if using the right foot too much!

First tank is always the worst for fuel economy. Even with break-in oils cars need time to break-in. It's not as bad as it use to me what with manufacturing tolerances but it is still there. My first tank, with 91 got me 460km. The next got me 480ish and now I am just over 500km on my 5th. All 91. Same routes and driving habits. Only the weather has changed.

Most cars now days can run 87 with no problems as the engine management system can handle the adjustments. I have never gotten enough of a mileage bump in a car that was on 87 and switching it to 91 to fully offset the added cost. Not my Hyundai, Saab, Jeep, Sunbird Turbo, Mystique or any of the company cars I have had. My tuned cars were always tuned for 91 and running 87 in them would have prob been an issue if driven hard though. ;)