Ecoboost Owner Forums

Hot Rod Lincoln

brucelinc

I have been lurking here for a few weeks reading about how great Livernois and Rick are and how the tunes really wake up the Ecoboost engines. Finally, after giving Rick a call and obtaining some input from a few folks who frequent this forum, I pulled the trigger for my 2010 MKS. By the way, Rick is a class act as everyone has said - excellent advice and incredible service.

Call me a wimp but I loaded Stage 2/93 octane last night – even though 4+ is in my tuner. I know….loading stage 2 instead of 4 is like dating a plain gal with a great personality even though a hottie is whispering your ear, “come on, big boy, I am waiting for you….”

I drove around gently for awhile to make sure there were no unintended consequences. Everything was great – crisper part-throttle response, no pinging even when lugging at 1000 RPM in the higher gears, smooth but firmer shift characteristics with NO bangs, clunks or other bad behavior. It even seemed like the engine idled smoother than before. So far – so good and I was smiling!

Outside the city limits, I arrived at one of my favorite spots – a nice country asphalt 2-lane with no houses close by and hardly any traffic. I slowed down to just a slow roll and floored it. Holy Batman! The tires broke loose and my head was pushed into those forward sloping head restraints. My smile turned to a grin! The upshift to 2nd broke the tires loose again and my grin got wider! The upshift to 3rd was firm and my head was still pressed against the restraint! The upshift to 4th occurs at a speed that is not really prudent – especially at night - so I backed off after reaching 4th but it was still pulling harder than I expected. I thought my car ran really good stock…but it never felt this good before! I wonder how it will like stage 4…..

Bottom line: If anyone is considering a tune for their ecoboost but haven’t done it, I have two words for you: DO IT! Just beware….you may need surgery to remove the grin from your face.

Ha! Love the read..... especially since a lot of us here can equate with that same sh!t eat'n grin that was plastered on your face after having uploaded your new tune file!

Great experiences across the board for sure!

I agree with TurboDave..... be sure to report back on Stage 4 :thumb:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I probably will not need a lot of coaxing to go to stage 4. However, I think I will leave 2 in it for a couple of weeks. We had a light snowfall here in Minneapolis last night so with the slippery streets, I couldn't make much use of what I have now. I do have a couple of questions:

The first time I tried to load the tune, it appeared to have saved my stock tune but when it began to load the new tune, I got a message that it failed. I tried it again exactly the same way and that time it was successful. I have no idea why it failed the first time. Would the stock tune have been saved the first time or would it have been saved the 2nd time when the new tune was successful? I do not recall getting a message either time that it saved the stock tune. I sure hope it did!

Do most people hook up their device to their computers and save a copy of the stock tune - just in case the tuning device is lost, broken or stolen?

Now that is a great 1st Post!

I'm going the Hot Rot Lincoln path myself. UPS tracking says my Eibachs should be delivered tomorrow and I hope to have them installed within the next week or so. Reading your post just re-confirms my next call is to LMS! I'm continually surprised at how potent the stock MKS is... must be a few pounds heavier than a SHO and our cars can't have Peepees. Er, PP's... sorry, that came out wrong. Anyhow, I think they run great stock so I'm really excited to try mine when it's dropped & boosted.

Welcome,

Greg

I think these cars are amazing even when stock. A car weighing 4400 pounds with the added friction of AWD and a 2.77 gear should NOT be this strong. Low end torque is such a beautiful thing! More low end torque from the tune makes it that much sweeter.

In case you haven't noticed, I am like a kid with a new toy. I don't think I was any more excited when I first bought the car new! I couldn't wait to jump out of bed and drive to work this morning! I might have to find a different route that adds miles to my commute so I have an excuse to drive more!

Bruce, glad you are pleased. Just load the 4+ and be done with it! I loved your decriptions as well. My sentiments exactly. My car never broke traction before the tune either and now takes off and sometimes chirps second just like you described!

I also feel that the in gear idle (at lights and such) is smoother. I have the stock tune in currently because of an upcoming service appointment, and have noticed a rougher in gear idle, which had also been an ongoing complaint of mine before the tune and for which the dealer told me there was nothing they could do......

Goodness I can't wait to get a tune. This thing is fun but it's not as fast has my supercharged TBSS that I had before this, i'm thinking with the tune i'm going to be pretty close. Should be soon, still recovering from paying for my wedding, honeymoon and then the holidays. :nod:

Congrats on the new power. It sure is fun. Although I have to admit that even though I went from stock to stage 4 I was never really that impressed. I'm faster than I was but not nearly as violent and grin-inducing as everyone else seems to report when they first do it. I might have to talk to Rick about doing some datalogging then. I hope I don't have a problem somewhere...

To be perfectly honest, I was very skeptical of all of the great things that I read as I researched Livernois and tunes in general. Yes, I saw the 1/4 times, the videos and the dyno sheets but I still couldn't quite get my head around that much improvement for a relatively low cost. I really tried to lower my expectations. Now, having done the tune, I gotta say that it greatly exceeded my expectations.

My MKS will likely never see the strip but I just wanted a really quick daily driver that was still refined and quiet. That is exactly the result that I got. Now, of course, there is NO SUCH THING as TOO MUCH POWER. For that reason, I will go ahead with stage 4+ as soon as I get the chance.

By the way, another big shout-out to Rick and the guys at Livernois. Great service!

congrats' date=' 4+ here year round in the snow lol!![/quote']

Me too. You just need to drive smart and assume if you floor it, it will break traction, so even if the road is wet, don't do it. As long as you don't floor it in slippery winter conditions, the car will behave perfectly fine in the snow.

I'm almost scared to let this back out of the box' date=' but is there any confirmation that the LMS tune does add "Grade Assist" to the MKS? It sounds like a neat way to add a little edge to the car's attitude from time to time.[/quote']

I believe LMS does know how to enable and disable. But as to edge does nothing for my 1/4ets. Just doesn't allow you to coast freely, mainly for down hill to control cars speed so you don't have to ride the brakes.

That's a fair clarification. I meant "edge" as in a little sharper... perhaps holding the lower gears longer and being less inclined to upshift... I wasn't expecting any measurable performance increase, just a bit more fun in the butt-o-meter. But I can see how others would misinterpret my post. Thanks for cleaning it up.

Well, I went ahead and jumped into the deep end of the pool with 4+ this afternoon. Again, in normal driving, I found zero negatives. Engine is smooth, no pinging, and the transmission performs flawlessly. From a performance perspective, what I noticed most was that the pull in the higher RPM range seemed quite a bit stronger than stage 2. It really hustles from 4500 to 6500 RPM. The other thing I noticed was tremendous passing power. A kick-down at around 55 MPH would presumably be to 3rd. It hits really hard and the speedometer needle literally jumps. Again, rolling starts easily breaks traction on dry pavement.

I am very thankful for all of you guys who have been running 4+ and other mods and taking your cars to the strip. The knowledge that there have been no transmission failures (that I have heard of) gives me a lot more confidence. Without that knowledge, I would be very leery of putting so dang much power to the 6F transmission, particularly in such a heavy car with AWD traction. These cars must have a pretty robust driveline.

I realize my posts are only telling most of you guys what you already know but I hope you don't mind me sharing my own experiences with these tunes. I have been a gearhead all my life and have a pretty decent knowledge of mechanics but this has been my first experience of adding power without getting greasy!

My wife says, "Bruce, you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop tuning that Hod Rod Lincoln!"

I love your posts Bruce. You put my exact feelings from pen to paper better than I can. I reinstalled the 4 + myself this evening, after getting the car back from the dealer, and I had a smile on my face all the way home. There is also absolutely no doubt in my mind that the car idles better, in gear, with the tune.

Bruce, when it comes to it, we enjoy testimonials from newer members such as yourself.

Even if they may be old hat to us "older" members.

It's purpose is twofold.

One, it reiterates to us that our EBOF vendors (in this case LMS) continues to provide outstanding product....

Two, it also serves to show your fellow newer members, as well as any guests that may be lurking / trolling in the background, that we weren't full of poo poo in our claims, and that your experiences have been positive.

So to that end, thank you for your post, i'll 2nd what others have previously stated, in that we enjoy reading them.

Cheers my friend :tea:

Keep enjoying that new found power :thumb:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Guys, which scenario do you think would require the highest octane fuel - really cold winter conditions or hot, humid conditions with the AC running?

Presumably, the turbos generate more boost when the weather is cold. By the way, it was 10 below zero here this morning and the high temp today is around zero. Like others, I am seeing no detonation at all on 93 octane - can't make it ping under any conditions. Here in Minneapolis, all the fuel is alcohol blend - 90/10 mix. I am just wondering what to expect next summer when it is in the 90s with high humidity and the extra drag of running the AC.

Bruce

Bruce, I have been running 93 octane year round and I have never experienced any problems in either hot or cold weather. I would have to think that both hot and cold temps (like -10 and 90+) aren't the best conditions to be aggressive with the car, although when the temps are in the 50-70 range I have noticed that the car will make more power then on the really hot days. When it is over 85, I really don't try to drive the car very hard, just because I feel that it is probably a lot harder for the engine to shed the heat in those high temps. Which in itself is probably a great reason to consider the 170 degree thermostat and the re-tune from LMS to reset the fans.

Glad you went for the tune, and I knew that Rick and LMS would not disappoint!