Ecoboost Owner Forums

Thermostats questions

Just wondering about the pluses and minuses of going from a 190 degree to a 170 degree stat. What is the benefit and what is the loss? Wonder about maybe doing a compromise of a 180 degree for a DD in a climate that has to deal with some pretty cold temps during the winter months. Are 180's even available? Any thoughts?

Not sure what temp ranges are available if any other then factory and the 170 degree stat. But I haven't noticed any negative effects from the 170 stat' date=' 3 degrees here today. Plenty of heat. But in summer I notice immediate differences performance wise.[/quote']

Just guessing but would the theory be that the lower temp stat would cause lower manifold air temp for a denser charge?

From what I know: yes, you need a tune for the 170° thermostat to increase performance.

My question would be, do you run a thinner oil? 0W-20 instead of the 5W-30 or something?

No. Stay with 5w-30. There already some rumors of fuel dilution with these motors. If there is any truth to 0w-20 would be dangerously thin. I cant state if lowered coolant temps effect oil temp.

Well yes that would be one reason' date=' but engine temp as read by ECM also effects timing so cooler engine temps allow for more advance timing.[/quote']

Thanks Crash for the "Stat 101" course. This sounds like an interesting mod for me to explore. I think Rick is the source for the 170 degree stat so it will be easy to request the file at the time of order. Is that fan tune the one where the fan noise becomes much more noticeable?

Your welcome and yes they do.

Answer to turning fans sooner without changing thermostat. Wouldnt do anything as the thermostat will hold water in engine until the thermostat opens at water ever temp it's designed to. The fans only cool what's in the radiator.

I was a bit skeptical at first about this mod, but I notice a change and I believe it's a worth while mod.

So to save the $60 on a 170 t-stat' date=' why not just tune the fans to come on at a slightly lower temp using the stock 190 t-stat?[/quote']

Simple answer is because with the 190 themostat it will remain closed and not allow circulation of coolant until engine temperature reaches 190, whereas with the 170 thermostat it will open at 170 and allow the coolant to circulate to maintain the cooler temperature.