Ecoboost Owner Forums

Anybody tried tire prep at the track? Use of VHT?

So I am not a super experienced drag racer but I know a few. Some have seen me at the track or heard stories about mid 12s and spinning. I have a couple guys suggesting I try to prep my tires with VHT...

I have seen VHT prep used but normally it is on a drag radial or slick. It is suppose to help tire grip drastically... I know most of the tracks around here use a VHT asphalt prep.

Just curious if anybody tried it and/or had an opinion.

OK so I just searched and read a post on another forum basically saying it was a bad idea. The issue sounded like the VHT is good, to good... It stays on the tires for a while and if your driving home on the same set you used it you can pick up debris. The post I just read suggested maybe if you have separate track only tires, but not street tires.

I know the sticky stuff they put on the track to help the pro classes is WAY to sticky for most of the lower/street class cars. I've seen a lot of people break parts because it makes the traction too good. The sticky is great for those cars making 800 to 10000 horsepower with dedicated racing tires but usually cause more hassle and problems for cars like ours. A track prepared for the pro classes would kinda scare me from running for fear of hooking up too hard and causing parts to brake.

More than 300 runs with brake/boosting at 2,000 rpm and at least half of them with track prepares for pros. It helps the traction, but always better to follow a few cars in a row and go on their track.

No issue for our cars, they make sufficient power.

But it s true, many cars break parts (civic, S2000, integra, type of cars).

I know the sticky stuff they put on the track to help the pro classes is WAY to sticky for most of the lower/street class cars. I've seen a lot of people break parts because it makes the traction too good. The sticky is great for those cars making 800 to 10000 horsepower with dedicated racing tires but usually cause more hassle and problems for cars like ours. A track prepared for the pro classes would kinda scare me from running for fear of hooking up too hard and causing parts to brake.

The last rental I went to with prep was for a local race chassis shop that claimed they paid extra for more "track prep". I assume that means some kind of traction glue like asphalt VHT. Long story short is I spun like hell that day..... Somebody told me an all seasons radial isnt soft enough/ doesnt have tread pattern to really stick.

That said a soft compound should in theory benefit from some track glue. I agree though even built race cars break stuff when they just hook all at once.

Jan 1 when I went there was obviously no prep... AWD CRV clunked the driveshaft right off at launch, Chev truck broke an axle also. If that was me my wife would be beside herself with pissed off :)

I tried the VHT you buy in a jug and apply to your tires years back when I had a low 12 GTP....long story short it didn't help, best thing for grip is sticky tires and the right suspension setup. Racing at a private rental at Norwalk in OH always helps. By far the best and stickiest track I've ever ran at, my best times in my GTP and GTO were done there. It's also where I broke my trans on the GTP good when I was there for a magazine article/shootout.