Ecoboost Owner Forums

Cold vs methanol

Hi!

First, let me tell you that it is freaking cold up here!!! Freaking cold! Since most of you are Americans, I always take the time to convert km/h in mp/h or C to F... (even if you are about the only ones on the planet not using the metric system lol).

So, little test for you this morning:

What is the temperature when C = F? For the ones finding the answer, that is today's temperature.

That said, I wanted to inform you guys that the methanol kit is not able to spray at full pressure when it is too cold. In the winter, when it is under 30F, I need to prime the methanol with the test button. So, I normally just hold the button while at neutral and give it some gas and within 3 to 5 seconds, the green light shows up and I am ready to go with the extra power ready (in case a grand mother wants to race along the way!). But yesterday and today... nothing to do!

I am ready for spring and summer!

Have a good ones folks and anybody complaining about the cold, unless it is under -40!, you don't know what cold is...

Cheers!

Yeah at minus 40 you will probably want to keep your foot out of the methanol. As to having to prime system, I recommend you call Julio at alkycontrol and order up a check valve. Very easy to install and only about $20. This solved my issue of priming and if you remember I had a hard start problem as well in the summer. This was due to engine heat cause the methanol to boil inside lines and forced in to engine and was folding the engine. I have been meaning to contact Julio on as I believe it should be apart of every kit. I personally believe this is a must have for anyone runing meth.

Yeah at minus 40 you will probably want to keep your foot out of the methanol. As to having to prime system' date=' I recommend you call Julio at alkycontrol and order up a check valve. Very easy to install and only about $20. This solved my issue of priming and if you remember I had a hard start problem as well in the summer. This was due to engine heat cause the methanol to boil inside lines and forced in to engine and was folding the engine. I have been meaning to contact Julio on as I believe it should be apart of every kit. I personally believe this is a must have for anyone runing meth.[/quote']

Excellent idea, I wasn't aware that a check valve was available, I will definitely give Julio a call. I didn't know neither that you had such troubles with your meth injection kit at the beginning.

Thanks!

So I called Julio and he told me that he is working on a heating sleeve to wrap the meth pump. The question is to know how long it would take to warm up the pump and the methanol. He is in Florida, so he never faced that problem. I will probably be the guinea pig on that one.

As for the check valve, he was telling me that it would only serve to prevent methanol from boiling by raising the boiling point, the same as for a radiator he was telling me. So, I will be ordering a check valve at the same time as the heating sleeve... lol! It is a good demonstration that temperatures really vary when you need both on the same car! It goes from -40F in winter until +110F in the summer hahaha!

Thanks again for the tip Chris!

So I called Julio and he told me that he is working on a heating sleeve to wrap the meth pump. The question is to know how long it would take to warm up the pump and the methanol. He is in Florida, so he never faced that problem. I will probably be the guinea pig on that one.

As for the check valve, he was telling me that it would only serve to prevent methanol from boiling by raising the boiling point, the same as for a radiator he was telling me. So, I will be ordering a check valve at the same time as the heating sleeve... lol! It is a good demonstration that temperatures really vary when you need both on the same car! It goes from -40F in winter until +110F in the summer hahaha!

Thanks again for the tip Chris!

It also keep the engine from syphoning the methanol, I use a lot less now that I have the check valve. Mike had told me on the way back from the SHO convention that his low meth light came on and thought it was odd since he just filled up before he left and had been on the gas enough to cause it to spray. Any how I highly recommend the check valve, as to insulation this may help some what, but on hot summer day how long can it shield off the heat. Methanol boils at like 130 degrees.

I experienced similar issues as crash712us with the Methanol during this past Summer's unusually high heat waves (in the upper 90's / low 100's).

Crash712us was the one directed me to the check valve, and I too also noticed an immediate benefit / difference.

My car would NOT stall, or have a long / hard start after shutting off the engine, and then restarting it a short time later.

Not only was my system continually primed (correctly) and w/o any input from me, but I also went through a lot LESS Methanol.

I agree, this part alone should be part of every kit sold.

Like any other product developed for our platform, a lot of this stuff is experimental on the front end, and revision(s) are usually forthcoming.

That said, during the latest cold snap here in the Midwest, where temps have literally been either in the single digits, or below zero, I have not experienced any issues with my Meth setup.

Hope that tid bit of personal experience helps some of you out, for w/e it's worth :noidea:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

It also keep the engine from syphoning the methanol' date=' I use a lot less now that I have the check valve. Mike had told me on the way back from the SHO convention that his low meth light came on and thought it was odd since he just filled up before he left and had been on the gas enough to cause it to spray. Any how I highly recommend the check valve, as to insulation this may help some what, but on hot summer day how long can it shield off the heat. Methanol boils at like 130 degrees.[/quote']

I actually look into it and apparently methanol boils at 149F or 65C. But with that check valve, it bumps that boiling point to ???

I thought that perhaps with the freaking cold now (-40!!!), perhaps my methanol was a block of ice, but apparently it freezes (melting point) at -98C or -144F... So, we should be good with that. The issue with the pump when it's too cold is probably the same as when you want to start your engine on a very cold day and it is lazy to do so, so the pump probably is slower to do its job when it's too cold and cannot prime enough.