Ecoboost Owner Forums

Rear Differential Housing Leaking

I got back from a little spirited driving today and noticed a slight burning smell when I got out of the car coming from the rear. I crawled under the car and saw the rear differential housing was leaking, coming from a piece on the upper half of the diff. cover, please see the pictures below. What is this piece and what is it's purpose? It had a cap on it that was loose but crimped so it wouldn't come off easily so I didn't force it. The way it is tapped in to the cover it almost looks like a bleeder like on a caliper. I did get a wrench on it and tightened it a little but didn't want to tighten it too much until I found out what it's purpose was. Can anyone help?

7D47B063-A9A3-44CF-9904-06BDF55F6F2B-257-000000105543EA92_zps3a2c6c90.jpg

2C99E845-142C-48AB-9EBF-459710C994D4-257-000000105B5C20E0_zps01b68b79.jpg

Yep, that cap is the vent and is loose so air can escape as the fluid heats. If you were driving it harder than normal, you just got the fluid to a higher temp. Some of it "sloshed" near enough the vent to make it "burp" out.

IMO, not a big deal, but keep an eye on it. If there is any there under normal driving, I would investigate further.