Ecoboost Owner Forums

crazy question about paddle shifters

I dont think many people really use them, but i noticed in a pic on the ford website the 2013 SHO shows a + on the right and a - on the left like it should be unlike the earlier ones where you pull to upshift and push to downshift on either side. i never noticed that on the 13s before. would be nice to setup earlier models in this mode. any thoughts. in the long run it doesnt really matter just bored thinking out loud

The only time I use them, is if im going to "pass" somebody from a roll. Ill use it to go ahead and get in the proper gear, before I floor it, to get rid of the delay, but as soon as I floor it, I click it back into Drive, since it shifts at redline on its own just fine.

I'm the odd man out. I cannot stand driving without using the paddle shifters, on an automatic. I am manually shifting the car 100% of time unless i'm driving in heavy traffic. I've driven many types of automatics that have a manual shift feature and the 6F55 is among one of the best i've driven. Its shifts when you tell it to with no extended delay, upshifts happen without upsitting the car. While its no DCT/Automated Manual, it does shift as fast as a traditional manual. I may just be to used too driving a manual, mashing the gas to shift just doesn't suit my drving style, especially twisty mountain roads.

i hate paddle shifters...but the 2013 way...up on right' date=' down on left is the propper way to set them up. I use them from time to time when i want to drive spirited, but since the car auto upshifts at red line, they are kind of worthless to me.[/quote']

Atleast in stock form the bulk of the powerband of the SHO is between 2-6K RPM so i typically shift at 6 so the car never shifts on me. Also when AutoX'ing this car the ease of shifting really helps.

The only time I use them' date=' is if im going to "pass" somebody from a roll. Ill use it to go ahead and get in the proper gear, before I floor it, to get rid of the delay,.[/quote']

This is my 1st auto in 20 years. It's kind of like driving a motor cycle. Sequestial gear shifts.

but without having to clutch and shift every time, my brain loses track of what gear i am in. Where as in a traditional six speed, I knew what hear i was in by what my hand position was.

Now when I want to "shift down" as you do, I have to think about it too much. And usually miss it by 1 gear (higher 4th when i wanted 3rd). guess I just need more time to let my brain adjust.

Something about that clutch just keeps you more involved / engadged in your drive. I am missing it a lot.

I just traded the six speed MT-82 manual (Mustang) for the Auto. I have used the paddle shifters, while driving in the hills. It will take a little practice, especially with the size of the virtual tach, but it is doable. I actually enjoyed

playing around with it. I enjoyed the manual, but with traffic the way it is today, it is not as much fun as it used to be.

It escapes me why one paddle for up, other for down is the "accepted normal"

It defies logic. Up = shift up, down = shift down is more intuitive.

Also in a corner the required paddle may not be handy.

I shift whenever it seems to be advantageous. Engine braking in the mountains for example.

(When ever I yearn for clutch/shifter I drive my F-350 PSD 6 spd. )