Ecoboost Owner Forums

Colder spark plugs

Lesterg69

I am running LMS stage 4 on 93 octain fuel. Has anyone tryed to run a colder spark plug to help reduce the chance of pre ignition. I think I might hear a ping every now and then since the temp has been colder, but the car runs so damn good right now I dont want to change tunes. Any ideas or feedback would be great!

I've been using the NGK Iridium IX's (p/n LTR7IX-11, or stock no. 6510) for quite some time now, w/o any issues whatsoever.

These are the equivalent to the Denso ITV22's.

Even in the recent cold snap here in Chi-Town, where temps were routinely in the single digits during the day, sub zero overnight, no issues.

That depends. Typically if your stock, and run a good top tier gas and you don't live in a dusty environment, the stock platinum plugs should be fine for 100K miles. Lower quality gas leaves more deposits on everything in the combustion chamber including the plugs. Modded engines depending on the level run hotter especially when racing and step colder plug would help combat knock and overheating/melting the plug.

In general IR plugs perform better than Platinum but also cost more, and that performance increase isn't one that you can always tell from your butt dyno.

There were a handful of EB owners who were experiencing failure(s) of the stock plugs.

Due to high operating temps, the ceramic in all the cases I heard of, would deteriorate, and cause a portion of it to break off, and subsequently fall into the engine internals, causing catastrophic failure.

I chose a colder plug both for that reason alone, as well as the minuscule performance gain(s).

Seems like most have been opting to roll with after market plugs in general.

IDK if the OEM plug issue was resolved, or not.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I gapped my factory plugs down to .032 and with the stage4 I still feel a very slight stumble under high loads. With the factory plug gap I got scared a few times under high load high speed pulls, I thought something was amiss, turned out to just be the plug gap at .044. When I get my new plugs I'm going to go down to .025 which I read on "Full-boost" article that is ideal for higher than stock boost pressure.

I typically stay on the lower side of the factory gap range of a stock boosted car. since the engineers designed it to work within that range. Most of us here aren't adding 50% more boost so there isn't much more pressure from the stock setting that would blow out the spark. Also if you gap the plugs to low you wont get enough spark to fully combust whats in the cylinder. If you are switching to IR plugs then they have a smaller electrode that allows for a stronger spark with less resistance and change of blowout.

I thought I remembered having that problem with my 99 Cobra with a Procharger only running 10 psi, but then again the procharger pushes a really large volume of air so maybe that contributed to the problem...plus the procharger is different than a turbo, but similar in how it delivers the charged air...

Idk what it is then. I have SCT tuner from Livernois and i swapped the maps and the car is slower than stock. Idk what else it can be. No mods took off the intake flash the tune and the car is slower. Any advice?

Are you logging any knock, fuel issues, or air issues? That is all you need to do to figure it out.