• Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Here are the completed headrest..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]149[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]150[/ATTACH]

What does everyone think?

Wow SHO-MAN, I had never seen that thread and I find them very nice. I am interested in having them done. At 10$ a piece, even if I have to pay 60$ for shipping back and forth to US, I think it is a nice addition to the inside. I guess I'd go with blue now...

Can you PM me the contact info of the person who did it so that I can see how much it would be with shipping included or if you know the info, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Steve:

I think he's gone from forum, atleast looking at his post history. Once you brought thread up, I loved them too. I've had 2 local shops bid them, including taking cover off then embrodaring & putting back on, 2 for $270, 4 for $540. So if he got them for that price it was a steal. May still do it, my seat have that rust color insert & would look way cool on the headrest. Maybe an early father's day present.

MikeV

this sounds great and im sure it would look amazing, but me personally i think thats a CRAZYYYYYY high price and just way to much and would rather spend over $500 on performance or rims etc. or a car payment then just 3 letters, but good luck and love to see it finished if you do get it done,

Steve:

I think he's gone from forum, atleast looking at his post history. Once you brought thread up, I loved them too. I've had 2 local shops bid them, including taking cover off then embrodaring & putting back on, 2 for $270, 4 for $540. So if he got them for that price it was a steal. May still do it, my seat have that rust color insert & would look way cool on the headrest. Maybe an early father's day present.

MikeV

Steve:

In the bid was the digitizing the design, taking the covers off & then putting back on which was $85/headrest. I 'm not handy at all & I started working with mine a little & like one of the guys said you really have to know what your doing as they are super tight on there. I think I'm going to get another bid, but the 2 I had were basically the same.

MikeV

Steve:

I think he's gone from forum, atleast looking at his post history. Once you brought thread up, I loved them too. color insert & would look way cool on the

MikeV

If I remember correctly the OP had some pretty serious problems in his personal life...I believe that he had a family member pass away in an accident and some other problems, so I believe that those things overwhelmed him...I know he had offered to meet me and I was going to get my headrests done for that price but it was during my really busy time of the year, so I'm not sure that he has left the forum, just things have overcome his interest in cars.

Dunno how old this thread is but I had this idea also. I went to a local auto upholstery shop today and he quoted me $60 per headrest with just SHO on them. And he said he would have to unstitch them, do the logo , and restitch them because they wouldnt fit in his machine. Would I have better luck at an embroidery shop?

Dunno how old this thread is but I had this idea also. I went to a local auto upholstery shop today and he quoted me $60 per headrest with just SHO on them. And he said he would have to unstitch them' date=' do the logo , and restitch them because they wouldnt fit in his machine. Would I have better luck at an embroidery shop?[/quote']

Hey I'm an old retired upholstery guy so I can hopefully sort out the issue. If you went to an embroidery shop directly they could do the logo, but they most likely would not unstitch your headrest to get the face piece into the embroidery machine and they would not sew it back up after the logo was done. Different skill set and different equipment. I used to take my customers upholstery apart and sub out the embroidery then put everything back together again. I think the price you got of $60 per headrest is a real good price. Your big worry is will this guy be good enough to take your headrest apart and put it back together skillfully enough that you wont be able to see any tracks. Also will his subcontract embroidery people be skillful and fussy with their work.

I have been slightly tempted to do this on my own steel blue metallic but what really tempts me is to put the logo on the backrest right between the shoulder blades. I think that's where the '13 has it's logo. Up till now any way, I have been too lazy to start taking my upholstery apart. If putting the logo there appeals to you your upholstery shop should be willing to do that for you as well it should just cost a bit more. If you do this please post some pics. I'd love to see the finished product.

Steel:

Well I know my quote wasn't cheap, but my guy who is an interior guy, in fact when I went into to talk, they were working on some new head rests, without any embrodiary, for another customer. He even had the thread out that they would use & it was a match. I had another guy suggest what you found about restiching them but said odds of it coming out right weren't good & wanted to totally make from scratch. But then who knows if he would have been able to match interior color exact. So after 3 quote all about the same money. I went with the interior guy who is taking them off & putting back on after an embrodiary guy does his work. Also having logo added to one of my Ford hats that is black & has almost the same color as my miko interior on it. So will send pics when get back & yes I paid a lot but I didn't have expertise to take them off myself. & Larry I thought about that too or doing the back 2 headrest. When my guy looked at back headrest, it could be done but a lot more work & more money since headrest don't come out like the fronts do.

MikeV

I recall somebody on my 07+ Escalade Forum getting a similar thing done. They had found somebody to do it online. I don't want to send anybody on a goose chase, but it was pretty reasonably priced and looked great. If somebody wants to look, go to http://www.cadillacforums.com and go to the 07+ Escalade section.

Boy, I really appreciate my MKS logo headrest stitching a lot more now.....

Mike a couple of things I can share. First the original material is almost always available....for a time anyway. Usually around 5 years. Aftermarket companies buy up mill production ...maybe overruns of the OE material and then put out catalogues with samples and reference numbers for upholsterers to use for damage or wear related repairs. Aside from some minimal fading of the leather/vinyl in your upholstery the replacement stuff (providing they make the right match...it ain't easy matching off small sample chips!) should be spot on. Second thing is that the rear headrests should be removable also. I'm not positive cause I haven't taken mine apart as yet, but I'm willing to bet if you pull the rear backrest out of the car, and if you look at the headrest rods from behind the seat you will probably be able to figure out how to release the locks then pull the headrests up and out of the backrest. Then the rear headrests would be done in the same manner as the front. Good luck. As to the price, usually a shop will base pricing on time and materials. Time is the big one. Most reputable shops should be around and maybe slightly under the dealer labor rate in your area. Around here that's around $100 per hour. If some guy says he's going to take your headrest off, take the upholstery apart, sub out the embroidery and put it all back together for $50 per headrest that's pretty cheap. I worry about small new one horse operations that work cheap. They often don't know what they are doing and can really mess things up. If you are a fussy guy and your car is important to you beware the really cheap price.

Larry:

My guy did start taking the back seat apart to get the back ones out & it looked like was going to be a lot more work & as was going to pay $270 for the front 2, as it was, I decided I was good with front only. But this guy took me through his shop, had 3 guys working for him & showed me how he was going to take them off & showed me some pics of custom ones he had done before & because I'm fussy I said lets do it. VSS an older woman & I'm an old guy has a white Lincoln like my SHO in my subdivision & I waived at her once & she ignored me. Obviously not like you, who knows that you have is something special.

MikeV

exactly what i was thinking Larry.And Mike I kind of got that impression from the upholstery guy. I actually found a very skillful embroidery shop that will do the headrests without taking them apart. I am capable of taking them apart myself. I will have to run around with no covers for about a week lol. Just for SHO is $15 a headrest. Thinking of doing SHO in large font with silver and Performance Pack underneath that in a ford blue.

Mike G.

Mike:

I was trying to find an embroidery shop here but didn't have any luck. Plus I'm so unhandy I couldn't have taken them off & put back on. Who would think my Dad, long gone, was a great auto mechanic. I got up under them & stopped. The shop I went to was the one my friend who has a '09 Challenger R/T used. The guy did his with a big R/T on them & look great. What you're thinking of doing sounds real good too. I'm running around without headrests right now. One good thing It eliminates is that blind spot where headrest & body intersect. For your price it would be a great deal. Send pics if you do.

Mike V

mikeG:

Can't wait to see yours when done. I just pulled around a little on mine & they weren't budging at all & so I decided if I was going to get them done at all I had to have somebody take them off & on for me. Besides the upholstry guy kept a tight lid on who he used for the embrodary work. Said he & embroader he used mainly did dealer work. Said it would be a good week or 2 because embroarders was so busy. Hope to have this week coming up. But like I did on my Borla pipes which took 6 weeks for them to make, as they had a drawing & had only done a couple sets. So had to get in line for production to be done. But was worth the wait look super & sound just right for me a little louder than stock but not over the top. I copied SHO MAN's design & design should be 4" x 3". But like I said with headrest out good part is blind spot that you have to be oh so careful with is gone.

MikeV

Archived