Ecoboost Owner Forums

Front brakes require TSB 10-17-03 AGAIN after 21,000 miles?

At 21,000 miles I had TSB 10-17-03 performed (FRONT BRAKES - INTERMITTENT GRUNT OR GRINDING NOISE ), At 42,000 the problem is back.

Since I am out or warranty now, I want to address the issue myself. If the pads or rotors are the problem I will upgrade them. Suggestions welcome on aftermarket upgrades.

But, mostly I am wondering if anyone knows what role the Brackets (BG1Z-2B292-A Right Bracket SHO and SHO PP & BG1Z-2B293-A Left Bracket SHO and SHO PP) play in this problem?

Will these need to be replaced again? Or is this simply a matter of lubing them properly and checking the pads & rotors for wear? If the pads/rotors are fine I would prefer to wait on upgrading them.

Can't remember what the brackets do for sure, but I think they move the caliper a bit more to the outside position in relation to the caliper. I know that after I had the TSB performed I needed 3mm spacers on the wheels so the wheels would clear my caliper covers, before the TSB, I didn't need the spacers, that's what leads me to believe the new brackets change the position of the caliper. I would think that there would be no need to replace the brackets again, not if you are just replacing pads and installing new rotors.

Thanks for the links. Yeah, from what I have read the EBC (or Stoptech) rotors and red stuff pads may be the best choice for this car at a moderate price point. As soon as it warms up I will inspect them. Right now they only make the noise when letting up on the brake while coming to a complete stop.

Do the EBC redstuff require modification (drilling?) to fit the SHO properly. RedCandySHO had to drill the Stoptechs to accept spreader clips, I believe.