Ecoboost Owner Forums

You guys are a bad influence

I have a tendency to stay away from the Plasti-dip. I've had nothing that has lasted. I used the Krylon Plastic Spray paint in matte black and a couple coats of clear to lock it in. Hasn't even started to wear on me yet through the winter. The plasti-dip, I was able to pull off right after it cured for the proper amount of time. I was fairly disappointed. Though a lot of others on this forum, haven't had any problems with it yet.

Are you painting all of your trim or just some of it?

. The plasti-dip' date=' I was able to pull off right after it cured for the proper amount of time. I was fairly disappointed. [/quote']

Thats the point of Plasti-Dip....

Ive ran Plasti-Dip on a crappy set of rims for over 2 years with no issues, with no touch ups. Then before I sold the car, I just peeled it back off, good as new.

Thats the point of Plasti-Dip....

Ive ran Plasti-Dip on a crappy set of rims for over 2 years with no issues, with no touch ups. Then before I sold the car, I just peeled it back off, good as new.

Weird. I couldn't get mine to adhere at all and same with a lot of other people I spoke with. I knew that was the point of it. But didn't understand how people would ever get it to last more than 1/2 a year.

Same here...I usually just make sure all of the wax is off the area I want to PlastiDip. I did my grille and it is holding up pretty well. There are a couple of dents from rocks but I'd rather have that in the PlastiDip then plastic!

Ive always just used a degreaser or normal cleaning agent. If its a small item' date=' I have a bottle of alcohol that I just put on a paper towel and do my final wipe down.[/quote']

I plasti-dipped the chrome wheels (pitted from road salt) on my Jeep and it is holding up great after about six months, and some mild wheeling. I washed the wheels, wiped them down with acetone, and used two cans to spray them. Not sure I'd want to go that route with my SHO though, if I decide to black out the chrome I'll have it painted by a shop. The nice thing about plasti-dip is it is easy to remove if it doesn't work out and it shouldn't damage whatever you're covering.

This is great to hear after having no luck with it. I would say it's a safe bet then. When I did it I used alcohol and even scuffed up the chrome a bit. But still had no luck. Glad to see there are plenty of positive reports.

I just plasti-dipped part of my front grill about a week ago or so. Besided a pressure washer I used the other day to get some salt off the car. I cant really say how its holding up the grill, but it held up to the pressure washer just fine.

E41F021B-7411-474A-B660-8933BF1FD2A5-880-00000092D403C39B.jpg

I used dawn dish soap to prep the surface and put 4-5 good coats on with drying in between. That was last spring. All my plasti dip is still holding up fine. And I platidipped everything.

[ATTACH]1694[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1695[/ATTACH]

I clean with simple green b4 plastidipping. Never had to touch up my rims after 2 tough MI winters.