Ecoboost Owner Forums

Driving in a blizzard with LMS stage 4+

Happy to report guys and gals, the old bull had a good test tracking through Blizzard Nemo here in New England to and from work. I have the Blizzaks on 18" mustang rims. All I can say I am very happy with the tune and even more with Momma Ford for really hitting a home run on the SHO by doing their homework for a lot of us former Mustang/Cobra owners. I'll be doing it again early in the am and I'll keep you all posted!!

Great to hear, and I agree.....

FMC did a fan-freak'n-tastic job with this platform. :hail:

Look'n forward to your additional reports as they occur.

A few pics of it waist deep in the blizzard of the East would be cool as hell too! :thumb:

SHO in the arctic tundra, egads!

:jaw:

So far it looks like Nemo is skating around us...it just started snowing a few minutes ago and has just started covering the roads, but it looks like we may only get about 3". Good luck with Nemo up there in New England, hope you don't have to have your cars out on the road too much in this weather.

I always get a kick out of people who think that a car may have "too much power" to be usable in the winter. Sure, if you go around flooring it everywhere but if you drive sanely and have the appropriate tires (Blizzaks are incredible!) it makes winter driving fun rather than frightening. The only thing that has caused me any trepidation at all in my SHO this winter was going down the highway faster than I should have on ice when it was windy. I didn't realize it at first due to the smoothness and security my car/tire combo gave me. I just backed off and eased down to a more appropriate speed and all was perfectly well again. Stage 4+ is just as easy to drive in the winter as it is in the summer.

Stay safe out there everyone! Don't want you or your great cars getting dinged up. :)

I got my tuner yesterday,loaded the 91 tune last night and took it out before the snow. It works great, and I'll probably load the 93 tune later.

We got 4 inches of snow and some of the back roads were not plowed when I went out this morning, the handling was EXCELLENT! The car is civilized unless you punch it, which you're not doing in the snow unless there is a nice area and you want to have a little fun. I am very impressed with the car AND the tune.. thanks Livernois!

Well I'm happy to report my track to work was very succesful. The snow was literally up to my rockerpanels and the side roads were really bad. The main highways were shut down due to 8ft drifts of snow on the onramps. Let me tell you folks this was a real world test for my SHO with the LMS 4+ and boy did it come through. I literally was tracking along safely at the same speeds in staightaways as I do without snowcover. My skid plate was like a sled lol. I had plow trucks waiving me by them and I wish I had pictures of the faces of plowdrivers and folks digging out as I safely tracked by. Very satisfied with my SHO with the tune. I'll try to get some pics posted up later after work.

I am so impressed at how the car handles and has traction in the snow, especially with 20 inch rims. I have the stock Michelin MXV 4s. I have had a lot of 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive vehicles, and I have to say that this is among 1 of the very best, which again shocks me simply due to rim size. I also have a 2010 Suburban for the winter, and have not used it in snow this winter, which OS my first winter with the MKS. I have only used it when the Lincoln is in the garage cleaned, and I don't want to get it dirty. Lol.

And to Mothball, sometimes when a car is highly powered or overpowered, no matter how good of a driver you are and no matter how well you manage the throttle, the car can be twitchy. That is what we are talking about. I was concerned about "twitchiness" with the tune and there is none. I attribute this to an awesome all wheel drive system as well as a great tuner that enables us to have increased power with continued superior throttle control. I have driven some cars that are over tuned, and the throttle feels like it is either an on or off switch in slippery condition. Nothing in between.

TSS, I totally agree with everything you said. I have a 4X4 truck sitting in the garage if I really need it but the AWD MKS is just as good in snow or ice unless it is so deep that ground clearance becomes an issue. As for turning, stopping or overall stability, the MKS (or SHO) is better than any true 4X4 I have ever had.

Regarding the 4+ tune, I also find it to be a non-issue on snow or ice. Hell, it is just as docile as my wife's Taurus SEL with the NA 3.5 - until you get on it. Then, you open up a can of whup-ass but anyone who is experienced in a northern winter knows not to do that. The throttle mapping is really good on these cars - the power is not all loaded in the first little bit of throttle position. I have driven 4 cylinder rental cars in which you get too much in the first bit of throttle position but then nothing more as you press further. Apparently, that is supposed to make them feel more powerful in everyday driving. Our cars have very progressive throttle positioning and that leads to smoother power delivery.

Uh' date=' oh....we're back to that using the Rocket thing again!!!:nod:[/quote']

OK, as long as you brought it up.....it has been medically proven that a high performance car is a great aphrodisiac. :car: Just hearing the scream of an ecoboost at 6500 RPM is sufficient to get any red-blooded SHO or MKS owner excited in more ways than one! :nod:

I went to a local parking lot to see what the capablilties are.

Found out that you can't completely turn off the traction control off on our non-pp 2010 .

Could get it slide for a bit, then after about 7-10 seconds, throttle would go dead.

Car would gather itself back up, then after about another 7-10 seconds you could drift it again

for about the same length of time.

Definitely front wheel drive biased.

Brian S.

2010 Cinnamon

May or may not be Livernois tuned....

I thought traction control could be completely defeated. Stability Control cannot be defeated on MKS or non-PP SHOs, but I always thought pressing the traction control button killed the traction control part of it but left the stability control to do its thing. I know if I press the button, mine will spin like a top fuel dragster on snow, ice or wet pavement. However, even with the button pushed, you can only powerslide once or twice before the stability control stops the fun.

If my thinking is wrong, I am always glad to learn something.

Well if you are going to twist my arm ;)

These guys can be a bad influence. I was perfectly happy with my stock MKS. I started lurking here and soon I had a stage 2 tune. I begin participating in the forum a little bit and moved up to stage 4+. Now, I find myself checking out the Brainerd International Raceway website to see if they have "test & tune" days so I can take my hotrod Lincoln to the strip!

Where will it end? :RpS_thumbup: