Ecoboost Owner Forums

Front Spring Replacement Help Needed

So yesterday I began replacing the OEM springs with Eibachs.

Rears went in easy. Fronts not so.

On my 2013 with PP, are these three spots, and the four top bolts/nuts, all that is needed to remove the strut assembly to replace the springs?

And if so, what's the secret to being able to remove the two bottom bolts? I tried a jack under the rotor and also under the lower control arm to try to find the right tension to release the bolts but no luck.

Thanks fellas.

IMG_1785_zpsf14a1eb4.jpg

IMG_1787_zpsf6d5279f.jpg

Try heating up each bolt with a propane torch.

If I recall correctly when I did mine, the factory slaps on some thread locking type of lube that is like blue in color.

Holds them suckers on there, intact, pretty damn tight.

Even with the application of heat, understand it will still take a good amount of torque to get 'em off.

Keep trying.

I did my struts myself and countless others. In my opinion it's not possible, I have seen that described method performed on earlier Taurus. But bottom line you would have get the control to drop another 6" to get off the strut, I couldn't how that could be possible when I did mine. I just remove strut and steering knuckle as a whole assembly.

Okay so I watched the youtube video which relates to the older models and what about the older one design wise is different than the 2010-2012? It seems like once you get everything free from the strut, you can hammer down the lower control arm and free the strut from the assembly. Did you try hammering the strut loose and it failed to break free or did you just always just proceed with the other method?

Okay so I watched the youtube video which relates to the older models and what about the older one design wise is different than the 2010-2012? It seems like once you get everything free from the strut' date=' you can hammer down the lower control arm and free the strut from the assembly. Did you try hammering the strut loose and it failed to break free or did you just always just proceed with the other method?[/quote']

There just isn't enough travel in lower control arm to clear the strut.

Isnt the design and parts totally different for the 2013 versus earlier models??

From the pictures I've looked at they seem completely changed and therefore the 2013 job is easier.

Yes, the 2013 is much easier than the 10-12s. They went with the standard two bolt strut like pictured earlier in this thread.