Ecoboost Owner Forums

Scangauge

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with my mycal is when I read the instructions here to get a boost guage' date=' my head spins.[/quote']

I hear ya. The process is off putting for sure. I read instructions and tried to follow advice from others. I beat on that project for quite a while. What became evident is that each time I made an attempt I got a little further and I got a little more familiar with the engineer friendly interface. In the end I won the battle but it wasn't easy. I now monitor boost as a primary gauge, with engine coolant, IAT, and spark advance as secondary smaller displays on the side. Wish I had a better spot for it but I have the cable hidden behind the headliner and the pillar cover and it looks neat and clean.

Had an unusual occurrence yesterday. I was running smooth and steady at 65 mph on the interstate and decided to turn on the MYCAL. I hit the button and focused back on the road. I became aware or a power loss....slowly starting to loose momentum. Tried increasing throttle slightly...nada. More throttle....still nothing. Getting nervous I gave it half throttle and after about a 1 second delay my power came back. As I was trying to figure out WTH, I happened to notice that the MYCAL was now booted up. My theory so far is the MYCAL booting process somehow scrambled whatever computer was taking care of business at the time. Now I had done the same thing many times before and a few times after with no issues whatsoever. On a good note I haven't had a tranny clunk in so long I'm starting to forget all about it. If computers start to control the steering and/or brakes I'm gonna be a little scared.

I just don't have that kind of time to invest if there's an easier way to simply get a boost gauge, even if it cost more money. I want something I can just plug in and it works. I would not even have it plugged in all of the time, I simply want to see where it is at different points, just to get a feel for it. It is nothing more than interst on my part.

Tss what are you using for a tuner? a handheld sct or what? I have an sct livewire and it has datalogging and guages

I just don't have that kind of time to invest if there's an easier way to simply get a boost gauge' date=' even if it cost more money. I want something I can just plug in and it works. I would not even have it plugged in all of the time, I simply want to see where it is at different points, just to get a feel for it. It is nothing more than interst on my part.[/quote']

I am using the Mycal. For a whole variety of reasons, I actually wish that I had the SCT, but for some reason, Rick had trouble getting an SCT to work on my vehicle when I went to LMS. Therefore, we ended up going with the Mycal. I know most people want the Mycal, but I really wanted the SCT, because you can make some manual adjustments 2 things like in gear idle.

Does your trans temp work?

Mine does not.

FWIW.....

Even when using the MyCal device, and setting it "scan" for all available sensors and what not (that can be monitored), transmission temps is one of the few that is NOT available.

Additionally, when I installed my own, separate tranny temp gauge into the pod that crash712us made for me, I had to install my own sending unit (or sensor) into the bottom of the trans pan, in order to be able to read it.

I'm not sure, and I only claim to be a "weekend gear head", and my knowledge level is slightly above average for the most part on car stuff.

But, I don't see any other way around being able to monitor tranny temps, unless you install a sending unit/sensor of your own.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

You are correct, if the car doesn't have some type of sending unit for trans temp, then even the ECU can't monitor it. If the ECU isn't monitoring it, we can't read it.

I arranged the dials, etc on the tablet before I ever connected it to the car. Trans temp was something I wanted, but if I can't monitor it, then I will be removing it.

Well, bummer!! I got my new ODDII mini, but can't seem to pair with it. Keeps telling me i have the wrong code passkey. I tried 1234, 1111 and 0000. None works. What am I doing wrong?

Are there steps I need to do in some preset order?

I shot you a PM with my number. Call me and I can help ya out

You are correct, if the car doesn't have some type of sending unit for trans temp, then even the ECU can't monitor it. If the ECU isn't monitoring it, we can't read it.

I arranged the dials, etc on the tablet before I ever connected it to the car. Trans temp was something I wanted, but if I can't monitor it, then I will be removing it.

I'm really liking the way your gauges look. I think I'll demote the MYCAL to loading and holding my tune files and get an android tablet for playing with the gauges. What size tablet did you use and does it look like you will find a nice mounting spot for it?

I'm really liking the way your gauges look. I think I'll demote the MYCAL to loading and holding my tune files and get an android tablet for playing with the gauges. What size tablet did you use and does it look like you will find a nice mounting spot for it?
The tablet is a Nexus 10. I doubt I will be able to make a mount that holds it in a convenient position for driving. It will have to be to the right of the console.

My phone or a 7" tablet might go left of the wheel on the dash pushed back to the a pillar.

I just ordered the brainy trade Bluetooth device. One interesting comment in the reviews about current draw and the advisability of remaining plugged in. Any thoughts on that issue? Next I will start shopping for a smallish android tablet to be dedicated to the car (I'm an iPad / iPhone user otherwise) and start to plot mounting strategies. With the right mounting this could be a whole lot of fun. Might even replace my trusty Garmin. Something my OEM Nav has yet to do.

I just ordered the brainy trade Bluetooth device. One interesting comment in the reviews about current draw and the advisability of remaining plugged in. Any thoughts on that issue? Next I will start shopping for a smallish android tablet to be dedicated to the car (I'm an iPad / iPhone user otherwise) and start to plot mounting strategies. With the right mounting this could be a whole lot of fun. Might even replace my trusty Garmin. Something my OEM Nav has yet to do.

I was made aware of that issue. Ive left it plugged in over night once or twice but I always unplug it. Ive heard that it can drain the battery