Ecoboost Owner Forums

Scangauge

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any specific android device I should look for? I don't need it for Internet service' date=' but just to plug into the car. I have a few IPhones laying around but those won't work.[/quote']Not really, Torque supports all the way back to Android 1.5 (but those units are usually really slow). Make sure it has bluetooth and Wifi, those are the only 2 requirements (Wifi to download the app and it checks license now and then). If you want something bigger than a phone, then go Kindle (color), Kindle Fire, Nook Color (slower, but can be rooted and have the latest version of Android on it), pretty much any used Android phone you can get your hands on.

Any specific android device I should look for? I don't need it for Internet service' date=' but just to plug into the car. I have a few IPhones laying around but those won't work.[/quote']

I just bought a Nexus 7 today. I did a little research and like you I wanted a device dedicated to the car so I knew I wouldn't need a lot of hard drive and ram for other things. Just a good screen res and a fast enough processor so it wouldn't slow the Torque app or my Bluetooth dongle down. Turns out the highest rated android tablet was only $200. Seemed like an easy decision. Let you know how I make out after I play with it some today.

Very impressed with Torque and with the Nexus 7 so far. All early playing as I have no Bluetooth dongle yet but I picked a mounting spot and cobbed a temp mount to make sure I like it there in use and I have not routed the wires yet but I think it will look pretty nice there. Compared to the MYCAL the Torque app is a walk in the park to mess with. I haven't sorted out the power drain possibility from the dongle, and from leaving the Nexus plugged in (asleep of course) as well. [ATTACH]1784[/ATTACH]

post-279-142532290427_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532290427_thumb.jpg

I was made aware of that issue. Ive left it plugged in over night once or twice but I always unplug it. Ive heard that it can drain the battery

I've been trying to get some confirm from the dongle mfg. about the power drain thing and it's way frustrating with them struggling with language. So far My best guess is they are indicating that it will not cause a battery drain but the consideration might....might...be to prolong the life of the dongle. But they are not saying for sure. Tough to say but that's my translation so far. I'd love to get some advice from some more electronically knowledgeable than I. It means a lot to me cause if I can't just set it and use it easily like the other gauges or like the plugged in MYCAL it's just not worth it. If I have to plug in the dongle every time I get in the car for a trip to the market I just won't use it. I may just try it out and if the dongle conks out from the overuse of being plugged in all the time, I could look into paying a bit more for a more robust one maybe for one with better english skills in tech support.

I used magnets to attach the tablet to the plastic housing I put together. I used the 3M attachment tape to fasten the washers to the tablet back and the same tape to fasten the magnets to my plastic housing. Came out not too bad I think. I'm using velcro to attach the housing to the center speaker grill. I covered the housing with some trunk lining material I had lying around that was pretty close color wise. I have not set up the permanent wiring yet. Still waiting for the dongle and a custom charge cable that won't stick out. My goal is to have it look pretty clean and neat but not leave any marks or footprints if I need to remove or if I decide it just doesn't work well enough.

[ATTACH]1824[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1825[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1826[/ATTACH]

and in the car

[ATTACH]1827[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1828[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1829[/ATTACH]

post-279-142532290503_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532290507_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532290511_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532290515_thumb.jpg

post-279-14253229052_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532290524_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532290503_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532290507_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532290511_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532290515_thumb.jpg

post-279-14253229052_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532290524_thumb.jpg

Nice install' date=' esp on a DIY![/quote']

Thank you for the kind words. I tried two housing/mount designs before this one and they were either functionally or esthetically short of the mark. I think the third design is good enough to stick with. Just not sure yet if I can make the Torque app behave like it's OEM. Fingers crossed.

How strong are those magnets? Not so sure it wouldn't be better to just do velcro to velcro there.

EDIT: and I don't mean that it isn't enough holding power, I would be concerned about the magnets interfering with or damaging the tablet electronics.

My first design was Velcro between tablet and a metal plate that had about a 2 inch rise up from the dash. It was not firm enough to the touch. I modified it to provide higher back support for the tablet and that cured the wiggly feel but the Velcro is a nuisance to pull off and put back on and I wanted to be able to remove and replace the tablet real easy so my next design used 3 inch side channels to simply slide the tablet down to install and pull it up to remove. Function was great but the side channels really had a big ugly presence appearance wise. For design #3 I stole an install idea I found online. The guy claimed the only impact the magnets could have was on the built in compass and for all else was totally benign. Easy on and off, secure solid feel, and clean simple looks. I was sold. Now if it turns out to have an impact on the tablet, .....on to design # 4

I've been trying to get some confirm from the dongle mfg. about the power drain thing and it's way frustrating with them struggling with language. So far My best guess is they are indicating that it will not cause a battery drain but the consideration might....might...be to prolong the life of the dongle. But they are not saying for sure. Tough to say but that's my translation so far. I'd love to get some advice from some more electronically knowledgeable than I. It means a lot to me cause if I can't just set it and use it easily like the other gauges or like the plugged in MYCAL it's just not worth it. If I have to plug in the dongle every time I get in the car for a trip to the market I just won't use it. I may just try it out and if the dongle conks out from the overuse of being plugged in all the time, I could look into paying a bit more for a more robust one maybe for one with better english skills in tech support.

I used magnets to attach the tablet to the plastic housing I put together. I used the 3M attachment tape to fasten the washers to the tablet back and the same tape to fasten the magnets to my plastic housing. Came out not too bad I think. I'm using velcro to attach the housing to the center speaker grill. I covered the housing with some trunk lining material I had lying around that was pretty close color wise. I have not set up the permanent wiring yet. Still waiting for the dongle and a custom charge cable that won't stick out. My goal is to have it look pretty clean and neat but not leave any marks or footprints if I need to remove or if I decide it just doesn't work well enough.

[ATTACH]1824[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1825[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1826[/ATTACH]

and in the car

[ATTACH]1827[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1828[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1829[/ATTACH]

Very nice looking. Great job. Honestly I dont have mine plugged in on every trip. If my trip is more than 15 min it gets plugged in. I dont mind pulgging it in bc when I didnt have my radar hardwired id have to remember to unplug.

Thanks mhenne4. When I first got my SHO the first mod I made was to install a cigarette lighter power source under the dash that was hot only with ignition on. I use it to run my Garmin all the time and to have it power off automatically. I'm thinking that ill pick up my tablet power from that source and have the tablet go into sleep mode at power off. Now if the dongle can hack being plugged in, the only thing ill have to do when i start up is to wake the tablet (one button push) then unlock it (one swipe) and ill be back in the torque app. Unless the magnets will be toxic to the tablet in which case ill be out one new Nexus 7 and Ill be drying my tears. Wish I was more up on electronics!

I have a winshield suction cup mount in the lower left corner with a samsung NFC sticker on it. I programmed the sticker to launch torque when I put my phone in the dock. I ran the power cord from the center console port and just snaked it through the cracks of the trim, up and over the steering wheel. The wire is hidden perfectly until I need to charge the phone.

I did some more looking Larry. I can't find anything that says the magnets are a big no no for the solid state components in the tablet. The only thing I see is some possibility of LCD display funkiness.

I will post if I come up with anything conclusive.

Your instincts were right on racecrew. I'm getting some quirky behavior while on the magnets and normal when off so I'm going back into developing design 4 with no magnets. I should be able to finish up tomorrow on a new method. If I like the results I'll post up some new pics. Thanks for the brainstorming you guys are a lot of help.

Where is the 12v switched power source?

I used a tap on an unused fuse. It was about 2 years ago so I can't recall which fuse. There are a few unused available. Get your little multi tester to find one hot on ignition only. The fuse box is in a very cramped, dark and awkward under dash drivers side location and no fun at my age. Off the tap I wired in an aftermarket cigaret lighter female receptacle.