Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 Taurus SHO with PP - Summer Tire Question

Greetings. I am considering a 2013 Taurus SHO and really want to add the Performance Package, but really don't want to deal with the hassle of swapping summer/winter tires twice a year - I did that for years with a BMW 550, and vowed to never do it again! Are there any New Jersey (or close by) residents that have the Performance Package with the Summer tires who DO NOT bother with Winter or All Season tires during the Winter months? I am tempted to just say 'screw it' and get the Performance Package and drive on the Summer Tires all year around - especially since New Jersey does not really have the worst Winters - but would really like to hear from folks who have actually successfully done this (i.e. to make me feel better) or unsuccessfully done this (i.e. to make me think twice). Thanks very much!

I have no experience with this but based on comments made on other sites and from friends in the Minneapolis area, I do not think you want to run summer tires in the winter if you plan to drive it when it is cold or you have snow. Here is a quote from tire rack:

Eagle F1 Supercar tires are designed to emphasize dry road traction and handling. Like all summer tires, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

I will certainly defer to those who have done it (either successfully or unsuccessfully) but I don't think it is the greatest idea.

My 2013 w/PP is 3 weeks old today. I live in Michigan and we got hit with Nemo before it hit the east coast, it was far less powerful, but we received about 9 inches where I am. This is very normal for us, adequate plows, etc.

I will say that with all wheel drive, I expected much more from this car. It is my feeling that my poor experience is due to the F1 supercar tires. I have been "4 wheeling" and plowing snow for darn near 25 years and even though this isn't a truck the principle is the same.

I can say with about 95% confidence that all season tires would be much better in the winter. If I had it to do again, I would request the dealer have the tires changed to all season. In truth you are not going to "lose" that much grip in the summer and you are going to be 10 times happier come slippery weather.

I'm in eastern PA and am running the summer tires through the winter. They will go in a few inches of snow and the traction control does a pretty good job, considering, around the bend with a little throttle input. I do have an option to drive another vehicle though, so if it's the only option for you, I would probably at least go all-season. I did have an experience with 1 inch untreated roads that iced up before I got home and for the life of me I couldn't stop to make a 90 degree turn onto another another street, even at 10mph. Luckly I made it home without smashing anything up.

I decided to run the summer tires down and once they need replaced, I am getting a good set of all-season.

Thanks for all the info fellas. Too bad Ford does not just ship the SHO with PP with the same all season tires you can get if you buy the SHO non-PP with 20 inch tires. As it stands, I would have to buy all season tires and then sell the F1 tires, which can be a pain. Makes me wonder if the performance package makes enough of a difference in performance and handling. Thanks again.

If you look on tirerack or other places the 20" all seasons can be had under 200 a tire. My stock all season goodyear RSA are fine in snow and cold but with all my mods they spin like hell under WOT. I have PP rims with summer tires ready, will run them all summer and in the fall have all seasons installed.I know it will be a pain.

1 set of all seasons would be fine on a bone stock car. After a bunch of mods the all seasons just dont hold anything....

Really I think summer tires will hold air and work in cold weather, they just only get traction in warmer weather.