Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 Taurus SHO PP - Tuning - Newbie

Jmr061

Hello

I have heard a lot on the Livernois tuning. Sounds like fun that is for sure. I don't want to do a bunch of hardware mods though. What mods does the Livernois tuning require for the 2013 SHO PP? What affects does it have on "normal" mpg. I don't want to go any lower than I already am. I don't mind burning fuel to have fun but the daily communte mileage is important.

Thanks

Jason

Welcome to the site!

The Livernois tune does not require any hardware mods.

My mileage actually went up 2 MPG when I drive the same way I did before the tune. Under normal driving conditions you can't really tell the car has a tune (slightly firmer shifts). The fun begins when you press the gas pedal further...WOOHOO!

Thank you for your interest in our products!

The tune is by far the biggest bang for the buck mod for these vehicles. There are no other required mods, but other mods do help.

Our tuner is made by AIW and we create the custom files, load them on the device, then you connect to the OBD-II port to flash it and disconnect when finished.

All of our tunes have been developed in-house on our AWD chassis dyno or the track and proven on the street using our Taurus SHO, F150 & Flex EcoBoost shop vehicles. We also claim the quickest boost only SHO, Flex, and F150. (SHO has been 12.09 @ 117 mph, Flex has been 12.72@109 mph, and F150 has been 12.87 @ 103 mph)

Before releasing our tunes to the public, we had hundreds of dyno pulls and thousands of street miles logged in our own car. The increased power and torque was great, but we also focused on drivability and reliability.

Transmission calibration is another area we spent a lot of time on. The vehicle shifts more precisely, positive, and firm.

To my knowledge, we’ve tuned more EcoBoost vehicles than anyone in the country and have had zero failures of any kind. We've benchmarked competitor tunes and feel ours is the safest, most reliable and best performing tune you can buy.

The tunes are available 91 or 93 octane. Most customers claim better fuel economy no matter what tune they select.

Thank you,

Rick

You have a PP car so your springs are stiffer stock which is a + I also went up a little in fuel economy. I know the early SHO's had some questionable trans programming, and my trans basically straightened out when I loaded the tune.

That said I WOULD THINK Ford would have fixed the trans programming by the 2013 model year. Get the tunes, you will be glad you did!

This discussion a few days ago was that PP cars had the same springs as non PP cars..

http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?1572-PP-springs-vs-aftermarket-springs

2013 PP has stiffer springs than the 2013 non-PP. The springs are even tagged with PP on a label that's attached to them. I think they were talking about the 2010-2012 in the other discussion in reference to the springs being the same.

I am a do it yourselfer type of guy like many of us here I am sure. I have been researching everything and here is where I sit at.

Minimum looking to do Livernois Tune and Airaid CAI. Should be no problem to tackle.

Then looking at the Livernois off-road downpipes (is this what most get or do they go catted??) and the Corsa exhaust system. Is this something that can be done at home with ramps and stands and if so how difficult would you say it is? Don't want to get into things only to find out I should have taken it somewhere. If I can work some magic I may be able to secure a place to work on it that has a lift (If I am lucky).

Then there is the 170 degree thermostat. I live in Wisconsin and in the winter I enjoy my heat in the car. Does this affect the interior heating at all?

I love this car!!! LOL

Jason

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1857[/ATTACH]I installed the K&N Typhoon intake yesterday. Pretty simple, less than an hour. I helped a buddy install the Magnaflow exhaust with ramps and jack stands in his garage. About an hour and a half, but we broke a hanger. I ordered a PPE down pipe and Corsa exhaust for my SHO last week. I'll let you know how much of a pain in the ass that is when they arrive. As long as you can upload files to a computer and plug into your OBD2 you should be ok for a tune. The 170 degree thermostat just opens 10 degrees sooner. Shouldn't affect your in-cab heat.

post-1383-142532290595_thumb.jpg

post-1383-142532290595_thumb.jpg

Well i have the 451 series CAI from Airaid on order and the tune kit from LMS on order as well. Will be switching over to 93 octane for a couple tank fulls before going with the tune so I can get an accurate MPG rating for the normal driving and report back on any gains. Of course I'll play a little once the tune is in as well :).

Thanks everyone....

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably the only person that got their tune kit and didn't immediately install it lol.

Still running a couple tanks of 93 octane through the car first.

Here is my question....never really looked around at the different octane ratings before. Always just grabbed the cheap stuff. I see some stations carry just 93, some just 91....

I plan on taking a trip to Florida later this month. If I have the 93 tune in and hit a station with only 91 will that hurt the car?

I'd prefer to keep the flash count low on the PCM so I don't want to keep flashing it.

Jason

Do you have anyone selling the tuner in Canada, the web page won't ship to me?

Thank you for your interest in our products!

The tune is by far the biggest bang for the buck mod for these vehicles. There are no other required mods, but other mods do help.

Our tuner is made by AIW and we create the custom files, load them on the device, then you connect to the OBD-II port to flash it and disconnect when finished.

All of our tunes have been developed in-house on our AWD chassis dyno or the track and proven on the street using our Taurus SHO, F150 & Flex EcoBoost shop vehicles. We also claim the quickest boost only SHO, Flex, and F150. (SHO has been 12.09 @ 117 mph, Flex has been 12.72@109 mph, and F150 has been 12.87 @ 103 mph)

Before releasing our tunes to the public, we had hundreds of dyno pulls and thousands of street miles logged in our own car. The increased power and torque was great, but we also focused on drivability and reliability.

Transmission calibration is another area we spent a lot of time on. The vehicle shifts more precisely, positive, and firm.

To my knowledge, we’ve tuned more EcoBoost vehicles than anyone in the country and have had zero failures of any kind. We've benchmarked competitor tunes and feel ours is the safest, most reliable and best performing tune you can buy.

The tunes are available 91 or 93 octane. Most customers claim better fuel economy no matter what tune they select.

Thank you,

Rick

I'm probably the only person that got their tune kit and didn't immediately install it lol.

Still running a couple tanks of 93 octane through the car first.

Here is my question....never really looked around at the different octane ratings before. Always just grabbed the cheap stuff. I see some stations carry just 93, some just 91....

I plan on taking a trip to Florida later this month. If I have the 93 tune in and hit a station with only 91 will that hurt the car?

I'd prefer to keep the flash count low on the PCM so I don't want to keep flashing it.

Jason

I know you have a 2013 but when I asked Rick the same question about my 2010, he was very firm about the need to run 93 if you have the 93 tune. Since the 2013 93 octane tune is supposed to be similar to the 2010-2013 stage 4+, you could run into severe detonation issues if you ran 91 - unless you really feather-foot it. I have read posts on other forums from guys who used 91, when that was all they could get. They drove gently, kept their foot out the boost, and got along OK. I have been thinking about maybe trying a quarter tank of 91 to see how it goes. I take a few trips per year to an area without 93 and, like you, would prefer not to reflash it every time.

Oh, by the way, having the tune but not installing it immediately is almost incomprehensible for a "gotta have it now" guy like me. :RpS_laugh:

As long as you drive it very gently, off boost, the car won't have any problem and it is not bad for the car. What I jave done in the past when I couldn't find 93+ octane is that I was putting just a little bit of 91, minimum possible for my car to get to next 93+ gas station...

But if you punch it, it will detonate and that is really bad...

I don't really recommending at all, spark knock on a forced induction motor is than bad. It could be catastrophic and I simply wouldn't risk it if not absolutely necessary. Wanting to keep you flash count low, wont save you if you have a engine failure. This mind set will be your greatest undoing, because it will be the 1 or 2 power cycle since last flashed will be the tell in the event something major comes about.

I don't want to fire up another discussion on what or how the dealer can tell or not tell. But if you have CAI kit or even a modified exhaust, come warranty time for a new engine or trans, the odds are it will be at your expense.

Just keeping it real fellas, and I can only assume all of you don't want to have a failure to begin with even if its covered under warranty. Changing from a 93 tune to 91 tune can be done in the time it takes to fill your tank and check your oil.

just my 2 cents

Crash, I hear ya. In my case, not wanting to reflash has nothing to do with warranty issues. When I travel back to my hometown to visit friends and relatives, I would just prefer having my best tune.....for show-off or possible "contest" purposes. :lol: I can get there and have enough fuel left for some fun but I can't get all the way back home without filling up with 91. I suppose I can take the tuner with me and reflash it just before I fill up with the 91. That is undoubtedly the safest. If I were taking a long trip, I would definately reflash to a 91 tune before leaving, unless I was sure of finding 93 every time I needed fuel.