Ecoboost Owner Forums

Tuning worth giving up Factory Warranty?

Hello,

I am a proud '13 Green Gem SHO PP owner as of December 10th 2012. I opted for all of the warranties and such at the time due to the shear number of electronic gadgets that the car comes with. However, due to the impressive stability of the car after reading all of these forums, I'm considering cancelling the additional warranties and going with the LMS Stage 2 Tune instead. (From my understanding, the Stage 3 removes the TM on shifts) and I need to stay on 91 oct as there is only 1 gas station in my town with 93 oct.

So is tuning it really worth giving up the Factory Warranty?

-----

'13 Taurus SHO PP - Green Gem

402A / Power Moonroof / Multicontour seats w/ Activemotion / Nav / Mayan Gray

Welcome to the forum! I don't think I would look at it as "giving up the factory warranty." If you install the tune and go out and blow up the engine, no doubt you have a potential problem. However, based on the history of the tunes that most people are doing, there are no failures. I have not heard of a single problem that could be attributed to the tunes.

You are right in that there are lots of electronic gadgets etc. on these cars. A problem with myFord touch, the nav system, BLIS, etc. have nothing to do with the tune so you should still be covered. LIkewise, brake issues, body issues, and a million other things would be outside the possible "damage" a tune could do.

I am a proud '13 Green Gem SHO PP I'm considering cancelling the additional warranties and going with the LMS Stage 2 Tune instead. (From my understanding, the Stage 3 removes the TM on shifts) and I need to stay on 91 oct as there is only 1 gas station in my town with 93 oct.

So is tuning it really worth giving up the Factory Warranty?

The factory warranty would still cover most items that the tune has nothing to do with (i.e MFT, suspension etc.). It also depends on the dealer as to whether they would fix an engine /trans problem under warranty.

I took the gamble and love the "new" power and performance of the car, so yes I believe it is worth it!

There is no stage 2-4+ (5) for the 2013, you get the 91 & 93 octane tunes with the purchase. I have loaded both and they work well, currently running the 93 tune.

I've had a tune since owning the car for about 5 months and I've never had a warranty issue. I would not cancel any extended warranty you have, as my dealer has found no reason to deny any warranty work, and yes, the dealer is well aware that I have a tune in the car. But wow, I can't imagine driving this car without the tune, the difference is nothing short of amazing how much better the car performs with the tune. I don't think anyone that has a tune has regretted it for a single moment.

I ran lms stage 2 for about 5 months, probably put on close to 10k miles; then all of a sudden in about 1 hour of driving I had 3 spine tingling transmission clunks, under normal driving. Thus I took the tune out and sold my sct flasher; clunks went away.

I'm also under the impression that while Ford would not be able to tell if the car was tuned, they can tell if it was / has been flashed. So for me, not worth chancing it.

Was there a difference with the tune, yes; but still the car is fun to drive w/o it. I drove my in-laws 08 Taurus a month ago, and it's almost you don't realize how much zip 365hp turbocharged really is until you drive a car that is not.

Ive had a tune on it since ive had the car about a year ago.

Tune the shit out of the car and never look back. Livernois has never had a failure.

Look at it like this, if you tune and it breaks there is an overwhelming chance they wont find the tune and you get it fixed for free, if you tune outside of warranty there is zero chance for getting it fixed for free.

Long and short, with livernois' track record on our platform id recommend tuning. I cant speak for other companies tunes but livernois has the people to speak for them.

Yes, it is worth it. Totally! UNLESS, if your car breaks, you can't afford to fix it, then no, don't get the tune. My dealers are awful and I fully expect a denial if something like a turbo breaks. If they cover it, it will simply be a nice surprise.

ALSO, I personally would not tune until the car has at least 5k miles on. If there is a major issue from the factory, it will likely show up early. So start racking those miles up!

Yes, it is worth it. Totally! UNLESS, if your car breaks, you can't afford to fix it, then no, don't get the tune. My dealers are awful and I fully expect a denial if something like a turbo breaks. If they cover it, it will simply be a nice surprise.

ALSO, I personally would not tune until the car has at least 5k miles on. If there is a major issue from the factory, it will likely show up early. So start racking those miles up!

I agree, ask me how I know

He had his engine replaced with only 750 miles on it. Rockgt302 - How's it working now?

Somehow it over revved and had a knock after that.

Day 25 without the car. The engine and torque converter have been replaced and now the AC won't take a charge. They don't know why. It's most likely their machine is broken and won't be fixed until later this week. They won't give me the car back until its complete. Five more days and it qualifies for the lemon law. Even though they gave me a rental and covered a months payment, I'm at the end of my rope and don't know if I want the car anymore. I'm glad it's a lease at this point, I will not buy this one out, out of fear of other problems. I would rather them give me another car.

as stated above, and on previous page, Livernois has a ZERO failure rate. My wife and I bought the extended warranty..and I have not ordered the tune...YET. lol. I have made up my mind to get the MyCal with the 4+ tune asap. I have watched a few cars on the net and have seen one in person with the tune and it just looks FUN. And the Magnuson act protects you from not getting your door speaker replaced because you have a cai...

You should be fine and I understand these cars are a blast to drive stock but I have seen 12 second SHO's with nothing but a 4+ tune so why not?

And btw the one I saw in person was a 2010 with 75k miles and had not had ONE problem to date and he lives a few minutes down the street from the 1/4 mile track so you can guess what kind of abuse that car sees...lol

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS IN GETTING A TUNE YOU ARE TAKING A CHANCE OF MESSING SOMETHING UP...its not likely but possible, after all it is just a machine. But I know ford has tested the 3.5tt and it doesnt start exploding until about 700hp.

I think the fun factor outweighs the risk. I told myself I was going to leave this car stock and well I have the Airaid on it now and tune soon...lol

From what I understand they can completly tell if the ecu has been flashed and the number of times. I have also heard they are able to actually able to look at the duty cycle of the high pressure fuel pump (much like a diesel truck). The eb motors are basically the exact same design as a diesel minus the diesel fuel.

From what I understand they can completly tell if the ecu has been flashed and the number of times. I have also heard they are able to actually able to look at the duty cycle of the high pressure fuel pump (much like a diesel truck). The eb motors are basically the exact same design as a diesel minus the diesel fuel.

Yes, but they can't tell what it has been flashed with. My BMW trips the counter when the service interval mileage and oil change mileage are reset every time I take it to the local lube shop. This is not proof that it has been flashed with a modified tune.

Owned half a dozen' date=' tuned plenty.[/quote']

then you ought to know how wrong you are. on 11+ copperhead ecu cars you can tell how many times it been flashed among other things. before the intelligent copperhead ecu, dealers looked for key cycles, and other perimeters too to tell if the car had been reflashed.

my guess, is that the SHO ecu isn't that smart, and a taurus is less suspicious as a modified car.

then you ought to know how wrong you are. on 11+ copperhead ecu cars you can tell how many times it been flashed among other things. before the intelligent copperhead ecu, dealers looked for key cycles, and other perimeters too to tell if the car had been reflashed.

my guess, is that the SHO ecu isn't that smart, and a taurus is less suspicious as a modified car.

Once again, that does not show WHAT was flashed, so there is no proof that it has had anything other than a stock calibration flashed, and that is coming from Gil Nevarez, the President of R&D from Shelby, who tunes every single Mustang that leaves their facility.

You both present excellent arguments. But here the really facts based upon a forum member that smoked there engine. What blew his cover? The number of power cycles.

Now before we get into the why and how, it was his own fault.

Bottom line the dealer can refuse to warranty a repair if they even suspect the had been modified. Now you can cite magnuson moss and all that and get lawyer and spend $1000's arguing about in court or you can pay to have

your car fix.

Yes' date=' but they can't tell what it has been flashed with. My BMW trips the counter when the service interval mileage and oil change mileage are reset every time I take it to the local lube shop. This is not proof that it has been flashed with a modified tune.[/quote']

This is not my understanding of how it works...but im not really going to be pushing that im right because im honestly not 100% sure. I dont want to be THAT guy who thinks he knows it all and doesnt (not saying you are being that guy). Bottom line is what you said doesnt matter. The SHO is just a taurus, not a "performance" car like a 5.0 or gt500, BUT (and this is a BIG but) the SHO is a 48k dollar limited edition twin turbo machine. Ford understands that one of the FIRST things people are going to do is mess with ecu. All anyone has to do is turn on a computer and they can see that in every forum dealing with the eb. So even if you pull in for something at the dealership and they see a cai and cat back do you not think they will take a few minutes to hook it up to their machine to see if it has or had a tune???

And if they hook up the machine and see you reflashed the stock program into the ecu and its 2013 and your car is a 2010-2012 you dont think that sets off a red flag and raises suspicion??? If that happens, yeah they cant PROVE you had a performance tune, but they can PROVE that you messed with and reflashed the ecu (even if its a stock tune in it at the time) and will void your warranty. And as someone said earlier if you claim Magnuson you prob dont have the money to beat Ford. The engineers at Ford are not idiots. Ford lost their ass on the 6.0 because people were using chips and programmers and were replacing stuff under warranty that they technically shouold not have. From what I have heard alot of the warranty issues have to do with the dealership also....some are more willing to look the other way more then others. It also helps if you know someone at the dealership of have been doing business with them for a long period of time. As I said in previous post ford spent millions engineering everything on this motor and they are completly aware of how easy it is to make huge power with something as simple as a reflash of the ecu. Im sure they will find it...there is no way to be untraceable. It really boils down to if they actually care enough to take the time and look. Putting a tune is risky but with that being said, I will be contacting Rick at Livernois prob next week to order mine!