Ecoboost Owner Forums

k&n or airraid for 13 SHO?

Since I had warranty issues that K&N would not stand behind their filters, and the fact that Airaid is a sponsor here. I highly recommend Airaid, that plus David from Airaid has always supported us and been super with customer service and support, I think it's a no brainer. You know that you can count on Airaid for support and service from their past record here and besides it's a great CAI. But don't forget, when you get it be sure to order the pre-filter with the CAI, it keeps the filter a lot cleaner and keeps big stuff like leaves, bugs, and small twigs from getting caught in the filter pleats, well worth the extra money for the pre-filter.

I prefer the K&N

I prefer how it looks.

It is very well built and was easy to install.

I believe the K&N has access to more cold air than the Airaid.

I believe the Airaid causes unnecessary turbulence that could be rectified with an open snout element.

I believe the K&N is a better option for hearing all of the turbo goodness going on in our engines.(You will hear the turbos and diverter valves)

The K&N can be had cheaper than the Airaid. (I paid 212.98 shipped to my door)

I could also be completely full of crap but this is the thought process that led me to the K&N. Other than the sound, i didn't really notice any performance difference until 6 days after the install. I didn't disconnect the battery and my suspicion is that it took adaptive learning that long to figure everything out. Performance wise the differences are most likely negligible and the decision is really what sounds and looks the best to you.

Good luck!

I prefer the K&N

I prefer how it looks.

I believe the Airaid causes unnecessary turbulence that could be rectified with an open snout element.

I believe the K&N is a better option for hearing all of the turbo goodness going on in our engines.(You will hear the turbos and diverter valves)

I could also be completely full of crap but this is the thought process that led me to the K&N. Other than the sound, i didn't really notice any performance difference until 6 days after the install. I didn't disconnect the battery and my suspicion is that it took adaptive learning that long to figure everything out. Performance wise the differences are most likely negligible and the decision is really what sounds and looks the best to you.

Good luck!

i ended up going k&n for most of the same reasons. install was very easy and took less than 30 minutes. quality of the kit is great.

i will post a few pics later...

Nice before/after shots. Pre-filter on it though to keep it cleaner longer?

Yes, I am amazed at how much dirt the pre-filter prevents from getting to the filter, at least the big stuff. In other filters I had I always was finding pieces of leaves, bugs, road grime, and that kind of junk stuck in the pleats, but with the Airaid with the pre-filter, none of that large particles can make it to the pleats and don't get stuck in them. I really think it is well worth the few extra $$.

I prefer the K&N

I prefer how it looks.

Good luck!

+1 (FoMoCoSho) hit the nail on the head. Certainly looks better as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1928[/ATTACH]

post-1383-142532291021_thumb.jpg

post-1383-142532291021_thumb.jpg

Installed pre filter on my airaid this weekend, should help a lot. But looked at the transmission fluid issue & wow it's a big issue. Looks to me & I'm not a car fixit guy just a driver that the whole unit has to come out to get to the trans oil cap.

Let me know if I'm wrong. By the way got my baby's birth certificate from Ford last night. Thanks to the forum for letting me know it was available. Now have all in mint condition the package; brochure, window sticker & Ford Certificate. Will post pic when I get a minute.

Mike V

You need a friend with tiny hands or to remove it. I am planning to remove mine 2 x a year to check it. Removing should take 5-10 minutes max now that I have done the install once. I plan to remove it from now on for service anyway. I will also check it everytime I do that. I know if I have a leak because the car is always garaged. Honestly, though I check oil a lot, I probably only check tranny 4 times a year as it is , and never any changes. Our 01 Caddy trasnmission level actually can't be checked (no dipstick or easy access), so it does not overly concern me, but yeah, if I knew ahead of time, I might have left it factory. If somebody wants it, it is the more expensive "dry" filter and includes the prefilter (less than 1500 miles on it) , PM me and maybe we can work a deal. Especially somebody local in MI......

TSS- the even more goofy part of my deal is that originally I was looking for a K&N, but when I went to their website, it comes up for the 2010 SHO, no model available, this is why I went with the Airaid. What does anybody think of cutting a hole in the bottom of the Airaid where the transmission fluid cap is, so all you would have to do is remove the filter, a couple minute deal at the most.

MikeV

PS: Love you wood work on your MKS

I think cutting a hole is not a bad idea, but I would also want something in to cover the hole when in use - even perhaps a piece of black duct tape. Like you said, then to check the tranny, remove the filter, tear up tape, check, reverse process. I may attack this sometime but I will need one of those "circular" drill bits for boaring (sp?) holes first.....I can't remember is I have one big enough.

But then again, if I am going through that trouble, simply removing the box to check would only take 5-10 minutes more twice a year anyway.....

p.s. Thanks for the compliment on the wood!

Update: this was bothering me. So I decided to see how tough it

actually was to get at the transmission "dipstick". Honestly, not tough. 8 minutes to check and re assemble using an electric screwdriver. You do not need to remove the whole box. You simply remove the 2 bolts towards the front of the car. Then just loosen up the 2 metal adjustable bands. That gives you enough wiggle room to comfortably get your hand in there. Not nearly as bad as I feared. And definitely not worth it to cut a hole in the Box. I feared the whole box had to be removed, but it doesnt. It just needs to be loosened up to give you another two inches of room.

Well, to be honest, I was at Home Depot today and I almost bought a circular 4 inch bore for my drill based on your idea. It was 20 bucks, which seemed like a lot to me at the time for something I was going to use once. So I came home and took a shot at getting at it just by loosening. Glad I did. But, honestly, it was your post that got me in gear today, so thank you.

Scott, thanks for the little "how to" on getting at the trans dipstick. Honestly, I haven't tried mine, just been too nasty and cold to fool with it now. (Besides, the SHO has only been driven about 500 miles since early November) But with your hints, I will check it out if spring ever arrives here in Central Pennsylvania.

TODD' date=' thanks for the little "how to" on getting at the trans dipstick. Honestly, I haven't tried mine, just been too nasty and cold to fool with it now. (Besides, the SHO has only been driven about 500 miles since early November) But with your hints, I will check it out if spring ever arrives here in Central Pennsylvania.[/quote']

Fixed :). I really didn't need to check mine either, but, I didn't want to wait until I needed to check it to figure out how to do it. Like I said, it was not as difficult as some of us thought it would be. Maybe Airaid will see this and it will help them advise callers who might be upset at first at the revelation that the dipstick is not accessible with the air box in place. This was the 1 and only reason I might not recommend Airaid, but now it is a non issue and I am back to loving my Airaid. So buying Airaid or K&N comes back to personal preference with the transmission dipstick issue off the table now.