Ecoboost Owner Forums

2014 SHO 3.7 ecoboost

So the other day while I'm showing my 17 year old son the turbos under the hood of the SHO he says did you hear about the 2014 SHO. He says he read that they will be putting a 3.7 ecoboost twin turbo that puts out 465 horsepower. I have been looking online to find any solid confirmation, but only bits here and there.

I know we have some Ford factory workers here, anyone hear anything. I cannot fathom that the higher ups would allow that much power stock, but I know these engines are miracles of design and can push out a lot more horses than that.

Any insight?

Bill

Well wouldn't that be great! I know its has been tested before earlier, but 3.7 was unable to stay together. On another note the 2013 SHO was suppose to have been marketed with 400hp and due to insurance reasons Ford opted out not to.

But who knows anything is possible, I know the next generation taurus will be built at my plant. I did some searching a couple weeks ago for hints of what it would be, didn't really come up with anything concrete. To be honest from what I did see out there, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a SHO option for 2015. Now just say all this I realized you said 2014, so if true 2014's will be being built in the next couple of months. Change overs usually occur mid year.

Also the 2015 mustang will see a ecoboost engine for the first time, and I could totally see them putting in the GT platform as all V8 will be phased out to meet the new EPA regulations. But the 2015 mustang is suppose only weigh 2750lbs so with a 465hp engine in would make it a very fast car.

Keep in mind all this speculative. But there is crappy youtube video out on the web of whats suppose to a 2014 sho with a 3.7l ecoboost engine, but it is totally bogus. It nothing more than a taurus limited.

And as to the ecoboost mustang there is speculation it will be a 2.3l 4cyl. So there go my thoughts of a rocket ecoboost mustang.

And as to the ecoboost mustang there is speculation it will be a 2.3l 4cyl. So there go my thoughts of a rocket ecoboost mustang.

Funny, I had a '79 Mustang turbo that was a 2.3 4 cylinder turbo...it wasn't my favorite Mustang and I had all kinds of problems with the wastegate not working properly...but that said, Ford has had some experience with a 2.3 4 cylinder turbocharged engine, so it sounds plausible.

...but that said' date=' Ford has had some experience with a 2.3 4 cylinder turbocharged engine, so it sounds plausible.[/quote'] LoL, yea thanks to Mazda.

OP i doubt that they would have something that powerfully. 1. because that really pushes the limit of what the engine can do and still last 100K+ Miles. they would need to get SVT involved to get close to that. 2. I doubt they would use the ford to compete with the likes of AMG, Quattro or M. It would see that happen with Lincoln.

Re: the horsepower and insurance company involvement.....I recall our guide when we took the Wixom tour to see the Thunderbirds being assembled in 2002 told us that the car actually had more hp than was listed.......said Ford intentionally under-listed the number so the owners wouldn't be socked by the insurance folks.

Re: the horsepower and insurance company involvement.....I recall our guide when we took the Wixom tour to see the Thunderbirds being assembled in 2002 told us that the car actually had more hp than was listed.......said Ford intentionally under-listed the number so the owners wouldn't be socked by the insurance folks.

I really doubt that's a consideration anymore these days; otherwise they wouldn't be making 650hp Shelby Mustangs, or 550hp ZL1 Camaros.

Actually it's mostly based on statistics. When I traded my Trans Am for a corvette the premium dropped by like $400 a year. They look at the amount of accidents and thefts per model. Camaro, mustang, they sell a lot of cars both in v8 and v6. With the amount of kids that have owned them, their amount of incidents are higher. Actual horsepower doesn't matter, engine size does matter, ie: number of cylinders, not displacement. Cost of repairs also factors in, SUVs are always higher because of the damage they cause to other vehicles in accidents.