Ecoboost Owner Forums

Torque app impressions

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm on to what is causing my low boost reading. If so as usual it's my fault. In early poking around in the app, I found a Boost calculation method place with 3 choices, MAP (def), MAF, and ALT. I had selected the ALT. I put it back to the default MAP and set the offset value to (0) and I can't wait to go out and give it a go. I did not find this on my own. I found the torque app forum and posted my question there. I also sent an email to the developer of the app. I got a reply from the forum and also got a reply from the developer (Ian Hawkins) both by email and on the forum very quickly overnight actually. I'm now running my most recent file update of 4+ (removing the grade assist) and yes it did remove my mystery icon. The SHO is running very strong and I love this torque app. Lots of things to tweak and play with. The gauges are beautiful. For general information the developer recommends the "OBD2 Link MX" adaptor that I bought for it's speed and dependability. I see no noticeable lag in the displays. I think the sampling rates are averaging around 30 per second.

Let us know if that fixes it. I ordered my OBD2 Link MX last night, will be here on Wednesday. What kind of mount is that in your picture? I found one too that mounts to your seat bolt and snakes up to wherever you would like, not sure which way to go yet.

I will post results on the boost issue later today. I'm pretty sure you will be happy with that adaptor. Did you pay $150 for the adaptor like I did or did you score a better deal? My mount is something I made. It actually was a lot harder than I originally thought. The one you see is my 5th design. I'm not just a little obsessive and I just couldn't quit. For instance design #3 used magnets to hold the tablet to the mount. Looked great and held the Nexus great too....but the magnets made the tablet a little squirrelly. This last one uses a channel to hold the bottom and the belt clip from a iPhone holster to snap down and hold the top. The mount to speaker grille connection is self adhesive velcro. I plan on leaving the mount in place most of the time, and just popping the tablet out of the mount as needed for whatever. Also I found the first angle I used gave to much reflection in daytime driving but OK at night so I had to steepen the angle a bit and now it's pretty good day or night. I'm finding that for my amount of driving the power on ignition only I had wanted looks like it may not be enough to keep the tablet charged. I may have to plug into lighter outlet once or twice a week or maybe bring it into the house and top it overnight on occasion I don't know yet. It is cool to have it turn on and off automatically though. I'm happy with that set up and loving the Torque app.

My boost reading now is between 11 lbs.and 12 lbs. this is using the default MAP option. I know that the ALT option is not the one to use. It does leave one untried...MAF. I'm thinking that MAP is manifold absolute pressure and I used that in the formula for boost with the MYCAL. any body know what MAF stands for and is that a useful value for Ford owners?

Those choices are in settings......Obd2 adapter settings......boost calculation method

Three choices 1. Prefer MAP (default). 2. Prefer MAF. 3. Prefer ALT

the ALT was not a winner for me but the MAP (with vehicle profile boost adjustment set to 0) might just be the one. So far I don't know anything about the MAF choice so I haven't tried it.

Those choices are in settings......Obd2 adapter settings......boost calculation method

Three choices 1. Prefer MAP (default). 2. Prefer MAF. 3. Prefer ALT

the ALT was not a winner for me but the MAP (with vehicle profile boost adjustment set to 0) might just be the one. So far I don't know anything about the MAF choice so I haven't tried it.

We don't have a MAF (mass airflow sensor) so I'm thinking MAP will work for you.

We don't have a MAF as stated and if we did you cannot calculate boost from a MAF. The MAP is the proper choice and I have seen a max of 11lbs with 4+ tune. You can make a graph of RPM vs Boost and see exactly where your boost comes in and for how long. The Torque app is the best android app by far. I have a 12 dollar obd bluetooth adapter from amazon and have been using it for 2 years no problem.

We don't have a MAF as stated and if we did you cannot calculate boost from a MAF. The MAP is the proper choice and I have seen a max of 11lbs with 4+ tune. You can make a graph of RPM vs Boost and see exactly where your boost comes in and for how long. The Torque app is the best android app by far. I have a 12 dollar obd bluetooth adapter from amazon and have been using it for 2 years no problem.

Thanks for the many questions answered especially the boost amount. That means I am all set and working properly. I am blown away by this app and the gauges it provides. So many features I haven't explored yet. Do you leave your adapter plugged in or do you unplug after each use.

Thanks for the many questions answered especially the boost amount. That means I am all set and working properly. I am blown away by this app and the gauges it provides. So many features I haven't explored yet. Do you leave your adapter plugged in or do you unplug after each use.

I unplug it as I use it on multiple vehicles. It really is the best bang for the buck as far as gauges go.

I just pulled the trigger on the Oblink MX Bluetooth adapter. I was going to get the ELM 327 mini but after reading that there are some bad look-a-likes out there causing problems I decided to spend the money. They are on sale now for 145$ and the added features such as faster transmission speed, encryption, sleep mode when car is off to name a few I figured it was worth the extra money. I picked up a nexus 7 for a deal so now I just have to figure out where and how I am going to mount it while I wait for the adapter to arrive. Technology sure is cool.

I just pulled the trigger on the Oblink MX Bluetooth adapter. I was going to get the ELM 327 mini but after reading that there are some bad look-a-likes out there causing problems I decided to spend the money. They are on sale now for 145$ and the added features such as faster transmission speed' date=' encryption, sleep mode when car is off to name a few I figured it was worth the extra money. I picked up a nexus 7 for a deal so now I just have to figure out where and how I am going to mount it while I wait for the adapter to arrive. Technology sure is cool.[/quote']

You will be using all the same stuff I picked and I gotta say this has been one of the most fun projects I've done in quite a while. I think I'm over the hump.....all problems solved and you are right it is just too cool!

Also you mentioned tying in the nexus power from the panel. Did you butcher a wall fly adapter or use a USB? If you could shoot a pic I would appreciate it. Also has anyone used a USB port expander to plug in more than 2 devices. I can't believe how fast you can run out of those suckers. How did we ever get to the moon?

Also you mentioned tying in the nexus power from the panel. Did you butcher a wall fly adapter or use a USB? If you could shoot a pic I would appreciate it. Also has anyone used a USB port expander to plug in more than 2 devices. I can't believe how fast you can run out of those suckers. How did we ever get to the moon?

To start when I first got my SHO long time ago probably over two years ago the first thing I added was an under dash cigarette lighter power source that did not show and was hot on ignition only (that is how Japanese cars are set up). I'm a Garmin junkie. I'm hooked on it and I wanted all cords hidden and auto on and off cause I run it all the time. Now I can't remember which fuse I tapped (I'll try to look tomorrow) but as I remember it was an unused extra fuse and hot on ignition only. So for this project I went to the same source and plugged a "Y" connector into my single existing custom lighter so I can hook up both the Garmin and the Nexus. For the Nexus I used a plug adaptor that lets you run two USB cables from one cigarette lighter. Only needed to use one of the USB holes all under the dash so nothing showing. I may just replace the Garmin and run Google navigation on the tablet someday, but then I'd miss the gauges. I popped off the speaker grille, and then unbolted the center speaker so I could snake a wire from under dash to the area where I put my mount. Bolted the speaker back and popped the grill back in with just the USB micro sticking out for the Nexus. I bought a replacement for the stock Nexus cable because the micro end of the stock one stuck out straight and I wanted a right angle one to look neater. Got to say that it is really tough getting under that dash for the fuse box and doing anything. Ain't a kid anymore for sure.

Only thing I'm not in love with so far is that with not too many miles and a lot of around town short haul ......so far I'm not keeping the Nexus topped up as well as I'm used to with the Garmin. I can maybe bring it in to the house to charge once or twice a week or plug into an always on source like in the console with one of those USB adapters and a removable cable overnight. Maybe it's because i have two devices on one cigarette lighter. They don't use a lot of current though. Don't know how that will end up. I could turn the tablet off completely and that would slow down Nexus battery drain overnight, but so far I like just letting it go to sleep automatically and it waking up with no button pushes or swipes when I fire up the car which was my plan.

I'll take a few pics tomorrow to show what I mean.

I found this high output charger that might help you.

http://www.scosche.com/chargers/car/revolt-c2-dual-10-watt-2-1a-usb-car-charger-low-profile

Looking forward to the pics. Thanks or the help.

That's exactly what I'm using in my under dash lighter power source to power the charge cable to the Nexus. I bought a Ray O Vac from Staples for around $16. High output (2.1 I believe). Problem is the Nexus is discharging slowly while asleep for long periods and charging for very short periods and while charging, I increase the discharge rate by waking it up and displaying screen. Got to figure out how best to balance the power budget.

Here are some pics. I won't get wordy with each as it's prob not needed. Any questions let me know.

This is the USB adapter

[ATTACH]2017[/ATTACH]

This is the OBD2 Link adapter on the end of my short right angle extension

[ATTACH]2018[/ATTACH]

This is the right angle extension plugged in

[ATTACH]2019[/ATTACH]

The two adapters I've used

[ATTACH]2020[/ATTACH]

The right angle Nexus charging cable USB micro

[ATTACH]2023[/ATTACH]]

My spring clip latch on mount

[ATTACH]2024[/ATTACH]

Terrible pic but so hard to get to I just stuck the phone up under the dash and crossed my fingers

[ATTACH]2025[/ATTACH]

I used a fuse tap on an unused fuse that was hot on ign only. Multi tester and the list of fuses on the fuse box lid are helpful. Being a contortionist is almost mandatory. If you are old enough to need reading glasses .... Two strikes against you already.

post-279-142532291193_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532291195_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532291197_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532291199_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532291193_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532291195_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532291197_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532291199_thumb.jpg

Solid 8 lbs. might bump a bit at the top of the rpm between shifts but not much. I had a harder time reading the MYCAL boost gauge but the torque gauge leaves no doubt. I'd love to have someone else running 4+ use the same torque gauge to compare. That would tell me a lot. Now I'm ready to test out a new flash of a new 4+ file. That's going to tell me something too. One way or another I'll know more in a few days. Hope it's not low output from the turbos.

Boost readings at WOT full load on a 2013 through Ford racing gauge:

stock - 10psi with spikes to 12 at shifts

LMS 91 tune - 15 psi solid

LMS 93 tune - 15 psi solid

I have to assume that since my SHO is running and feeling great that my boost figures with 4+ should be similar. I also assume that both the MYCAL and the Torque app have been giving me low readings perhaps because they are formula driven and perhaps generic. Through trial and error I have come up finally with an offset to calibrate the Torque app so I get the readings I should be getting. In the vehicle profile section, under "Boost offset" a value of -3.0 seems to bring the output numbers to the right spot for LMS Stage 4+. So now I'm reading a nice steady 14.5 @ WOT.

I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the Nexus charged when I use it in the way that I want. With my first set up I needed to top it up every couple of days. I made several changes and now I have to drive it and see if I improved things. A really fun project for sure!

I have to assume that since my SHO is running and feeling great that my boost figures with 4+ should be similar. I also assume that both the MYCAL and the Torque app have been giving me low readings perhaps because they are formula driven and perhaps generic. Through trial and error I have come up finally with an offset to calibrate the Torque app so I get the readings I should be getting. In the vehicle profile section, under "Boost offset" a value of -3.0 seems to bring the output numbers to the right spot for LMS Stage 4+. So now I'm reading a nice steady 14.5 @ WOT.

I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the Nexus charged when I use it in the way that I want. With my first set up I needed to top it up every couple of days. I made several changes and now I have to drive it and see if I improved things. A really fun project for sure!

I'm seeing like 12.5psi with stage 4+ with my tq app maybe I need to screw with the same thing you are. I def notice a difference from stock though the Dyno part is about 50-60hp difference than stock lol