Ecoboost Owner Forums

Torque app impressions

Larry, I have been using custom ROM's and Kernels on my Android phones for about 4 years now. For the Nexus 7, you really want to get this toolkit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1809195

It will run within Windows, make rooting and unlocking your tablet easy as, well, running Windows.

After that, I suggest the custom ROM from AOKP for that model (code name is grouper): http://aokp.co/

Are you having the tablet go into "airplane" mode before it sleeps?

I didn't do the airplane mode. I thought that since it was not a cellular capable tablet, I didn't need to mess with that. If I should do that please give a quick explanation.

I had read about needing to get a toolkit to unlock and root the tablet but I did not shop around after finding the first toolkit with a favorable review. I will check into using the one you recommend. The kernel I was exited to find zeroed in on exactly my charging issue. What do you especially like about the kernel you are pointing out to me? You are making me feel more comfortable about having to modify he N7. Thanks!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Airplane mode shuts off all wireless in 1 quick motion. Bluetooth and wifi will go to sleep until airplane mode is disabled. Turning off all the "radios" in the tablet will reduce the power it uses when asleep.

ROM's and Kernels are 2 different things. Kernel is the core, ROM is more like the OS that the kernel runs. You can install a modified ROM (which gives you more features than stock and more customization capability) and then install the kernel of your choice. Several 3rd part developers work on kernels. Check out the Nexus 7 forum at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1673 That entire section is devoted to the Nexus 7. Themes, roms, kernels, etc.

Thanks. Will do the airplane mode right away. Wish you were nearby....I'd try to hire you for this little job I got. I will forward all your recommendations to my local "Geek" to give us a jump on the project and hopefully help avoid making a "brick".

I see 12psi alot.. Ive also seen 14 onces or twice. lol But unless your running a 3bar i don't know if you want to be seeing 15psi if a 2 bar is only 14.3psi. Back when i had a stock 2.5bar map sensor in my cobalt ss/tc i was running 26psi(not knowingly thought it was 24psi) and it destroyed my map sensor. Luckily i caught and upgraded to a 3bar.

I see 12psi alot.. Ive also seen 14 onces or twice. lol But unless your running a 3bar i don't know if you want to be seeing 15psi if a 2 bar is only 14.3psi. Back when i had a stock 2.5bar map sensor in my cobalt ss/tc i was running 26psi(not knowingly thought it was 24psi) and it destroyed my map sensor. Luckily i caught and upgraded to a 3bar.

Truth is I love the way it's running and since it's staying on the street and my DD I probably should be happy where ever it is but.....I worry that it's an indication that something is not right with the turbos or whatever and obviously since It's a SHO and I loaded a tune and I'm running 4+ that says I like performance and I want to get all of it I'm paying for. So...just looking for reassurance that 12 lbs. is OK I guess. Actually I have not seen 12 lbs. it's been more like just under 12 (11.75) and very consistent.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to my Nexus 7 install. I'm still waiting for a buddy to give me a hand with the unlocking, root, and custom kernel install because I'm too much of a wuss to do it myself. I think I learned something interesting. My third tablet mounting build was magnet based and I discovered that the magnets holding the metal plates I affixed to the tablet back were making the tablet squirrelly. Seems obvious I know. I came up with a latch system that worked well on mount 4 and 5, and I continued to use Velcro to fasten the mount to my speaker grille. Never knowing when to leave well enough alone I decided to try using the magnets to hold the mount to the speaker grille. The mount I reasoned would give me enough separation between the magnets and the tablet. Wrong! I went back to the Velcro and all was well again. After a few days I started to think maybe the small speaker under the grill was only a little farther away than my last magnetic fiasco. It is a dinky little speaker but compared to my mounting magnets it is a pretty strong magnet. I have had some random occasional unexplainable sleep instances in the N 7 and this I'm thinking may be the answer. This morning the speaker comes out as I try to provide a magnet free zone for the tablet. I think the installers of Crash's gauge pod may well have sacrificed this speaker also....don't know. I know a few of you have picked the speaker grill area as a location for the N 7 and this spot does work well in a lot of ways. Just something to think about.

Other than the $150 ODB2 Bluetooth adapter what are you guys using? Are the cheaper ones unreliable? Slower? Why should I pay 10x more for one over the other?

Thanks

Mark

Mark I'm not an electronic guru. I just know enough to try to stay out of trouble most of the time. Some guys swear by the cheapies. I tried one and it quit on me almost immediately. Probably just bad luck but......what I found out after I bought it is that the cheap and middling units won't turn themselves off and ask you to unplug them when you turn the car off. I wanted to plug in and forget. The only one to claim to turn itself on and off is the expensive one. I also like the faster transfer of data so no lag is seen. I have not been sorry I got a high end one. A few others have come to the same conclusion. I have heard nothing but praise for the OBD 2 Link MX. The developer of the Torque App himself recommends it on his own web site/forum.

As I explore more and more of the "Torque" capabilities, I continue to be blown away by what this app offers and how well thought out and implemented it is. It is ridiculously good and totally amazing.

Back to the MX Link dongle. Years of retail working for myself taught me a little of human nature. If "Shop A" offered a service for $100 and did a quality job, and customers were satisfied, then "Shop B" comes to town and offers the same service, but for half the price, people tend not to say "Shop B" might be cutting quality or skill or time, they tend to say " Why is Shop A so high" and usually don't wonder why shop B might be so cheap. I really think $150 bucks for a piece of quality electronics is not high, I think the $15 bucks is ridiculously cheap.