Ecoboost Owner Forums

How to remove rear headrests?

I have the 2013, and have been playing around with the rear headrests trying to remove them. They are fixed and non-adjustable, but Ford must have provided a way to remove them.

Has anyone done this or possibly read about how to do it. Any help is appreciated.

If you don't mind an educated guess ill chime in. Can you feel where the headrest posts would go into the backrest? In my '10 you can. If so what I think you may have to do is to unbolt the backrest and remove from the car. Then peel away the trunk lining that is hiding the back of the backrest. If you look for where the headrest rods reside in the backrest you may be able to see a lock. Sometimes it is a circlip, sometimes a spring latch. Do what you need to do to release the lock, then pull up the headrest and then replace the clip or whatever you removed. Replacing the headrest is much easier. Usually just re-inserting into the backrest and push in. It should go in then not come out. Just what they wanted. I used to do auto trim and that is generally how it used to be. But they always change stuff up so you can't relax completely. Just keep your eyes open. Good luck!

Thank you. I will give it a shot as soon as the garage warms up. I did feel around the top of the seat and bottom of the headrest, but did not feel a button. At least now I know where to look. Dumb design Ford. They should fold forward as they do in the Mustang.