Ecoboost Owner Forums

Seems like the SHO would have been a great car to have a Luxury/Sport mode button.

My 2011 is stock, and I've noticed the transmission shifting seems to be the biggest "issue" for performance. From reading about the way the Livernois tunes work, snappier shifts and torque/boost management during shifting seem to be the biggest change to increase performance.

I think on this car it would have been great to have a Sport/Luxury button that allowed you to switch from the stock setup (which is geared toward smooth shifts), and a Sport mode that would be more like the Livernois tune.

Just some wishful thinking. :P

shodded: must have been between the '81 & the '89 626's as i didn't have a button like that. i loved those cars especially the '89 626GT turbo I had. you knew when you hit the turbo, not like the SHO, & then you held on for dear life as you had no clue which direction it was going all you knew it was going to get there fast. When I took a test drive the sales guy asked if i had a crash helmet, i thought he was just being goofy, little did i know that you really needed one. it always kept me on my toes though. & yes at high rpm my stock SHO shifting in the manual mode is sloppy & would tune it in a heartbeat if didn't have 4 1/2 years left in my extended warranty.

mike v

'twas an 89 626 non-turbo, but with all the perks, including motorized center vents (no sunroof tho). Very reliable, economical, enjoyable transportation, until the @#)**)&ing auto transmission decided to call it quits. Probably would still have it if it were not for the transmission :(

... my stock SHO shifting in the manual mode is sloppy & would tune it in a heartbeat if didn't have 4 1/2 years left in my extended warranty.

mike v

That's exactly why I'm not modding mine. I got the 100k warranty, so it's going to be a while before I change anything. But the transmission flare does drive me nuts sometimes.

'twas an 89 626 non-turbo' date=' but with all the perks, including motorized center vents (no sunroof tho). Very reliable, economical, enjoyable transportation, until the @#)**)&ing auto transmission decided to call it quits. Probably would still have it if it were not for the transmission :([/quote']

Yeah those particular transmissions had a lot of issues, there was TSB where the dealer installed a addition remote trans cooler.

if you put the transmission in S' date=' it acts differently than if you put it in D....[/quote']

This is the closest thing we have to it. Throttle response is much better in S. Unless i'm in traffic, i drive in nothing but "S" mode while manually shifting. For me its the best way to enjoy the car.

I don't know if that "S" mode changes anything else than the revving. If you drive in D cruising in 6th gear and put it in S mode, it actually downshifts in 4th gear and holds it. So for sure the throttle response feels quicker and the car more prime, but I don't think that the suspension or whatever else is changed. If you use paddle shifting, while in D, if you don't shift withing 3 seconds it goes back to D mode, if in S, it remains in the gear you have selected manually.

The S mode will use more gas obviously, unless you paddle shift softly.

So on a cruise on highway, better leave it on D or if on S, manually select 6th gear, if not it'll cruise in 4th gear and drink gas!

I don't know if that "S" mode changes anything else than the revving. If you drive in D cruising in 6th gear and put it in S mode, it actually downshifts in 4th gear and holds it. So for sure the throttle response feels quicker and the car more prime, but I don't think that the suspension or whatever else is changed. If you use paddle shifting, while in D, if you don't shift withing 3 seconds it goes back to D mode, if in S, it remains in the gear you have selected manually.

So on a cruise on highway, better leave it on D or if on S, manually select 6th gear, if not it'll cruise in 4th gear and drink gas!

Couple things from a '13

S mode downshifts 1 gear as soon as you go from D to S. The only thing that changes on the car is the shift points. it will hold in gear a while longer before ushifting. S mode will not auto shift to 6th gear. The only way you can hit 6th in S mode is to use the paddle and go into manual mode.

In full manual mode, the car will still upshift when it hit red line. So unless you want to short shift, you have to let the car shift up for you. but it will allow you to down shift as you see fit. If you want to hold 3rd gear at 5,000 rpm in a sweeping turn...it will let you.

I did back to back 100 mile tests on the highway @ 80 mph. D mode and S Mode full manual. Because of the throttle resonse, S mode is a full 1.5 mpg less fuel efficient in 6th gear @ 80 mph.

This "S" mode must be on 2013's?

The "S"port Mode in the 2013 is the same as the "M"anual mode in the 2010-12 SHO. I don't remember if in the 10-12 if M mode changed throttle response like it does on the '13.

I know that if crusing in 6th gear in D and you shift to S it remaps the throttle, and will drop you done one gear but will not switch you to manual mode until you shift it. It also modifies the shift points if you let it shift automatically.

Couple things from a '13

S mode downshifts 1 gear as soon as you go from D to S. The only thing that changes on the car is the shift points. it will hold in gear a while longer before ushifting. S mode will not auto shift to 6th gear. The only way you can hit 6th in S mode is to use the paddle and go into manual mode.

In full manual mode, the car will still upshift when it hit red line. So unless you want to short shift, you have to let the car shift up for you. but it will allow you to down shift as you see fit. If you want to hold 3rd gear at 5,000 rpm in a sweeping turn...it will let you.

I did back to back 100 mile tests on the highway @ 80 mph. D mode and S Mode full manual. Because of the throttle resonse, S mode is a full 1.5 mpg less fuel efficient in 6th gear @ 80 mph.

I would add that in S mode, at least with the LMS tune, the throttle response is increase or at least the right pedal is more sensitive.

I would add that in S mode' date=' at least with the LMS tune, the throttle response is increase or at least the right pedal is more sensitive.[/quote']

It be nice if we could do like the GR STi's do have Inteligent, sport & sport# mode. I know when you flash them with the cobb tuner each mode has different tunes. So you'd have a economy mode & track mode at the flick of a dial.

I have not driven a 2013 SHO but the 2013 Lincoln MKS does alter transmission shift characteristics, among other things, when in Sport mode. The italics below summarize the changes in sport mode:

Additionally, Lincoln Drive Control enables drivers to purposefully change the on-road personality of the MKS. Moving the gear selector from Drive to Sport automatically shifts handling performance, ride firmness, throttle response, shift feel, steering response and traction control/electronic stability control parameters

I test drove a 2013 MKS and it does firm up the shifts pretty well in Sport mode. It is not as good as the Livernois tune but it is better than my 2010 MKS was when stock. It also changes the throttle mapping so the throttle plate opens more quickly with less actual throttle movement. This makes it feel snappier but adds no performance benefit. I really didn't care for the "jumpy" throttle - more difficult to drive smoothly. Even with the improved shifting, a stock 2013 MKS in sport mode would get its windshield sucked out by a SHO or MKS with a Livernois tune.

Couple things from a '13

The only thing that changes on the car is the shift points.

I don't think this is accurate. From a stop, without changing your initial pedal input, start switching back and forth. The car will accelerate harder in S mode. It's almost like the PCM reads the pedal input differently in sport mode.

When I put my 2010 in M mode it states I'm in 6th or whatever gear is highest for the speed and that's it. It won't change unless I use paddles. It will bounce off the limiter and not down shift past 2500 rpm which is what I like. It seems this changed with the later models...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The "Sport" mode of the 2013 sounds a lot like the "DS" mode of my prior 2007 Infiniti G35S. The paddle shifting on the G was not as responsive as it is on my 2011 SHO, but the DS mode that would still shift automatically, but when also downshift when stabbing the brake, rev the engine higher before upshifting, and firm up the upshifts sure was nice. The DS mode is probably the one thing that I missed from the G. Kind of makes me want a 2013+ now....

-Rod