Ecoboost Owner Forums

PTU fluid replacement

I was going to have a shop replace this but they stopped since there was a service bulletin

"The PTU is NOT to be drained unless contamination is suspected. To drain the PTU fluid , the PTU must be removed from the vehicle.

The fluid that is drained may appear black and have a pungent odor. DO NOT mistake this for contaminated fluid."

Note: A new PTU must be installed any time the PTU has been submerged in water.

So with that I didn't have them touch the PTU with only 35k on my clock. I know people were talking on here about changing their's and I was wondering if I'm missing something?

I am not aware of the existence of such a bulletin.

There are plenty of members here who have changed their PTU fluids, including myself.

It is kind of a PITA as it has to be sucked out from the top of the housing, where the fill plug is located.

Not changing the fluid makes about as much sense as choosing not to change your oil.

Especially if you're tracking the car, or intend to track it.

I would strongly reconsider and get it changed. Go to a different facility if need be as it sounds to me (w/o knowing more about the shop) that they were blowing smoke up your butt cuz they just simply didn't want to perform the service.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

A few factors. Luckily i have a AMSoil warehouse in town so i can easily get their products. But their hours are limited so it can be a pain sometimes to find the time to go get it. Redline is sold at a couple local speed shops hear and its much easier to get to them. Price is about the since and Redline is made of the high quality base stock that isn't fracked. Doesn't disclose what their base stock is made out of.

Blaine109, what an awesome link you provided. I really had no idea what a PTU did and how important good quality lube was since it holds so little fluid. I really think it should be changed every 35k or sooner depending on each Sho's daily use.

I'm surprised Ford isn't recommending a fluid change on these sooner rather than later:noidea:

Good read/write-up with pics on changing PTU over at fordflex.net --> http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9334

Thanks, The inside of that unit looked horrible. That is why i change my drivetrain fluids annually.

Blaine109, what an awesome link you provided. I really had no idea what a PTU did and how important good quality lube was since it holds so little fluid. I really think it should be changed every 35k or sooner depending on each Sho's daily use.

I'm surprised Ford isn't recommending a fluid change on these sooner rather than later:noidea:

Given our drivetrain is designed to be FWD when crusing and it only kick in when accelerating, corning or when slip is detected. Because of that the PTU for most people will not get used most of the time. Those of us who race the car use it a bit more, which is why i change my fluid much more frequently.

Thanks, The inside of that unit looked horrible. That is why i change my drivetrain fluids annually.

Given our drivetrain is designed to be FWD when crusing and it only kick in when accelerating, corning or when slip is detected. Because of that the PTU for most people will not get used most of the time. Those of us who race the car use it a bit more, which is why i change my fluid much more frequently.

I believe this is a false assumption. The PTU is always engaged turning the driveshaft to the rear differential. Engagement of the rear wheels happens on the input side of the rear differential (after the PTU). FWD/RWD bias should have nothing to do with what's going on inside the PTU.

So can I safely assume that the fluid in the PTU is the same that is used in the differential? I've never really looked into changing but now that I have 22K on the car, I think it's time. I normally do drivetrain fluids at 30K intervals. I just want to make sure I get the right fluid for the change.

I am in no way knowledgeable in this area, but I think of it in the same way. Even thoug I may not have engaged my 4 wheel drive all that much when I had a 4 wheel drive Tahoe, I still replaced the diff fluids at the same intervals. I did not base my maintenance plan on how often I used the 4 wheel drive system.

So can I safely assume that the fluid in the PTU is the same that is used in the differential?

I've never really looked into changing but now that I have 22K on the car, I think it's time.

I normally do drivetrain fluids at 30K intervals.

I just want to make sure I get the right fluid for the change.

No, it's NOT the same Mark.

The Rear Differential takes 2.4 pints of 75/90.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I believe this is a false assumption. The PTU is always engaged turning the driveshaft to the rear differential. Engagement of the rear wheels happens on the input side of the rear differential (after the PTU). FWD/RWD bias should have nothing to do with what's going on inside the PTU.

From Fords site about their drivetrains.

On-Demand All-Wheel DriveThe third type is the on-demand system. An on-demand system is always driving one axle and then drives the other axle as conditions demand. In the case of the Ford Fusion or Ford Edge, the front axle is the primary drive axle. For the Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer, the rear axle is the primary drive axle.

Simple mechanical systems use a clutch to send torque to the secondary drive axle when the primary axle starts to slip. Today’s electronic systems — like those found on all Ford Motor Company cars as well as Ford Explorer and Expedition, the Lincoln Navigator and the V-8 Mercury Mountaineer — use a computer controller that monitors such things as steering angle, accelerator pedal position and engine speed to provide the precise amount of torque, front to rear, as needed.

“What’s really impressive about these systems is that they don’t just react to slip,” says Rodrigues. “They usually prevent that slip from occurring in the first place. By predicting slip and preventing it, the driver doesn’t feel the vehicle slipping and responding. The operation is seamless.”

He says on-demand systems create a smooth, confident driving feel in all weather conditions with much better traction. The systems also help balance and improve driving dynamics by sending torque to the secondary axle when it’s most appropriate for handling.

“On a normal front-drive vehicle, the front wheels have a limited amount of traction available to them,” says Rodrigues. “That traction has to be used for moving the car forward and for steering. If you use all of the torque to drive forward, you don’t have anything left to steer with, and vise versa. An AWD system off-loads some of that drive torque to the rear wheels. The harder you accelerate, the more of that torque that’s going to be redirected to the rear wheels, restoring the ability of the front wheels to steer the vehicle while providing an even higher level of acceleration.”

This is what i was referring to. The rear wheels are only engadged when needed. That way we get FWD fuel economy, and AWD traction. Thats why our cars that are heavier & have more power than Evo and STi's gets much better fuel economy.

From Fords site about their drivetrains.

This is what i was referring to. The rear wheels are only engadged when needed. That way we get FWD fuel economy, and AWD traction. Thats why our cars that are heavier & have more power than Evo and STi's gets much better fuel economy.

I don't disagree that our cars operate like what you've quoted from Ford's website. What I disagree with is the assumption that if the rear axle is not engaged, the PTU is not operating. Operation of the PTU is independent from engagement of the rear axle. The way our AWD system is designed the PTU is always engaged and the rear driveshaft is always turning, even if the rear differential is not engaged.

The PTU is the engagement point for the rear axle, not the rear differential. The point of my comment and what is backed up by the article, is that the PTU does not engage the rear axle until slip is detected or under acceleration. So yes the PTU is always working but it isn't always engaging the rear axle/driveshaft. That way the amount of parasitic is reduced greatly.

The PTU is the engagement point for the rear axle' date=' not the rear differential. The point of my comment and what is backed up by the article, is that the PTU does not engage the rear axle until slip is detected or under acceleration. So yes the PTU is always working but it isn't always engaging the rear axle/driveshaft. That way the amount of parasitic is reduced greatly.[/quote']

You need to read this thread:

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?p=1383636

Specifically post 34 that shows the rear axle sub-assembly with the differential clutch on the front of it and also post 42.