Ecoboost Owner Forums

Transmission Service Question

I know the 6F does have clutches and isn't your typically slush box, but its not a DCT like Ford's PowerShift DCT used in the Focus. the 6F is more if a hybrid setup that uses clutches and a torque converter, but in the end its based off of a automatic tranny design. Fords true DCT PowerShift that is a manual tranny shifted mechanically, and has no torque converter. Its an interesting design no matter what.

I know the 6F does have clutches and isn't your typically slush box' date=' but its not a DCT like Ford's PowerShift DCT used in the Focus. the 6F is more if a hybrid setup that uses clutches and a torque converter, but in the end its based off of a automatic tranny design. Fords true DCT PowerShift that is a manual tranny shifted mechanically, and has no torque converter. Its an interesting design no matter what.[/quote']racer this post give more on 6F & 6T (ford&GM) http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/08/25/141299.html They still say it has a Clutch-to-clutch I think that is a daul clutch set up.

"The 6T70’s advanced clutch-to-clutch operation is designed for smooth shift feel and packaging efficiency. All shifts except 1-2 (the transmission “free wheels” in first) feature clutch-to-clutch operation. This is achieved through three planetary gears, with three stationary clutches and two rotating clutches. It’s a simple, less complex design that enables the packaging of six gears in the space of a four-speed automatic.

A sophisticated transmission electro-hydraulic control module (TEHCM) is mounted inside the 6T70, reducing vehicle complexity. Similar to the control system used in the Hydra-Matic 6-speed rear-wheel drive transmissions, the TEHCM offers improved quality through its hard-wired connections and pre-calibration.

The unit is located entirely within the transmission and operates while bathed in transmission fluid. Locating the controller internally facilitates the modular design and assembly strategy while also shielding the unit from the outside environment."

Even after looking at the it still makes it seem like its more if a hybrid automatic, but still an automatic transmission at heart. The singular clutch pack aside i've not seen any thing else the leads me to believe this is a DCT or even a SCT like the Lambo & Aston Martin has.

Dual Clutch Transmission

A dual-clutch transmission, (DCT) is a type of semi-automatic or automated manual automotive transmission. It uses two separate clutches[1] for odd and even gear sets. It can fundamentally be described as two separate manual transmissions (with their respective clutches) contained within one housing, and working as one unit.

The 6F55 doesn't have have have multiple clutch packs that are dedicated to a specific gear set.

DCT are also at heart based off of manual transmissions, and while the 6f uses 1 clutch pack it also has a torque converter. If was a DCT it wouldn't need one.

A dual-clutch transmission eliminates the torque converter as used in conventional epicyclic-geared automatic transmissions

Ford would been shouting from the roof tops if this thing had a DCT, like they did with the focus.

I just got mine back with a full flush using Amsoil as well. The transmission feels like a clock right now and it might just help with fuel mileage from what I understand.

Only thing left to do is the PTU and everything is done for fluid upgrades.

Did you already do the rear differential?

this post "http://www.scribd.com/doc/15661177/Seamless-delivery-New-Ford-6F55-transmission-built-specifically-for-new-EcoBoost-engine" say you are right Ford replace one the dual clutch with a converter and a electro-hydraulic control module (TEHCM).But otherwise it is a type of DCT IN DESIGN even of not exact.

If you look at diagram the clutch pack isn't directly connected to the engine, but the torque converted is. So it looks to add responsiveness to the transmission the engine power goes to the torque converter that feeds the clutch pack that transfer the power to the rest of the transmission. Automatics also use "planetary gears" to create the gear ratio's. The link you provided before stated that the 6F has 3 planetary gears.

In the end i think we will have to agree to disagree.

If you look at diagram the clutch pack isn't directly connected to the engine, but the torque converted is. So it looks to add responsiveness to the transmission the engine power goes to the torque converter that feeds the clutch pack that transfer the power to the rest of the transmission. Automatics also use "planetary gears" to create the gear ratio's. The link you provided before stated that the 6F has 3 planetary gears.

In the end i think we will have to agree to disagree.

Either way we have a good transmission!!!! YES?