Ecoboost Owner Forums

Weird noise from front end after lowering, Help!

i have my eibach's sitting here and I'm afraid to install them now :(

If it's not clicking now, go for it. Many other Taurus owners have springs without complications, including myself.

I'll be doing it a second time in the next couple of weeks when I switch from the Eibachs to the H&Rs.

Interesting find, I was looking for the strut mounts for my SHO and found something interesting. They are different part numbers from 2013 and 2012 and 2 different part numbers for the 2012 and prior. I looked at the images from the 2012 and they look identical to the 13's. With the exception that the 13's are one piece. It may not matter I just thought it was interesting that they changed the part number.

Ok so an update, I decided to do a process of elimination today. I removed both struts and cleaned and lubed both sets of bearings. Reinstalled and ensured that everything was seated and lined up. Dropped the car and guess what? Same noise (WTF?). So then I proceeded to jack the car on both sides to about stock height and same noise but only on one side. I can attribute this to the reduced friction of the tires as they were partially jacked. I wanted to eliminate the because it's lowered and the suspension is sitting different argument. I then pulled the driver side tire and proceeded to drop the tie rod to see if I could duplicate the noise with the weight on the suspension but without the tie rod. Well the strut turned freely with no binding at all, the lower ball joint was also not making any noise and seemed tight. At this point I am really stumped, I reinstall the tie rod. I decided to check the tie rod with the usual pry bar technique and low an behold the noise! Interesting to point out that both sides are doing it and when you tug on the tie rod then push on the rotor does it make the "ting" noise. I can't understand how a car with only 15K km on it has this issue? It's not like I go around bashing curbs. Any insight would be great.

That is interesting and you can beat your bottom dollar I would be at my dealer's service department telling them what I found and would ask them for input and if they are stumped, have them contact Ford for input... I'm with you, car should not be making this noise.

Should have my car in for a look this week. ShoBoat' date=' so you're thinking its the tie rod ends? Whatever the case I agree, its a little early in the car's life to be having these types of issues. I'll post an update once I get it to the shop.[/quote']

I'm not 100% sure but I think it is the rod ends.

So I put in a call into my dealer this morning, explained the situation to my service rep and hmmm let me see how I should put this. Well needless to say when we were done I didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling. No I am sorry, no nothing. Just we are really busy and I can fit you in mid next week at the earliest. Wait?? what?? Really?? Let me see you misdiagnosed the issue with my car, you couldn't align my car until I told you how to do it. To top it all off they didn't fix the issue with my seat? WTH???? I can fit you in mid next week? I have been dealing with this dealer for over 12 years. I have moved my business to a different dealer who seemed to be eager to get my business and with a 2 new purchases planned in the next 2 years. I change out my cars every three to 4 years like clockwork. Sorry for the rant guys.... Well I will have the car in for service later this week and I will let you know. At least this service manager knew right away that it wasn't the springs lol.

Dealership's shop says both tie rod ends are bad and of course they'll replace them under warranty since my '13 SHO has only 10,500 miles on it. I'm assuming Ford got a bad batch of tie rod ends from their vendor? I didn't speak to the mechanic since the shop was super busy but I'll get more details when I take it back in for the repairs.

Dealership's shop says both tie rod ends are bad and of course they'll replace them under warranty since my '13 SHO has only 10' date='500 miles on it. I'm assuming Ford got a bad batch of tie rod ends from their vendor? I didn't speak to the mechanic since the shop was super busy but I'll get more details when I take it back in for the repairs.[/quote']

Thanks for reporting back, mine goes in Friday. I have no doubt that its the same issue. I guess they got a bad batch!

Ok so another update, the tech replaced one tie rod as it was done. However the noise was still present on both sides. His answer was that the car need new bump stops as the angle of the suspension had changed. I explained that many other ps have installed these springs on their SHOs with no issues. I even showed him how to duplicate the sound with the tire off and no load on the suspension. By prying between the hub and the rotor you can cause the sound. And he insisted that it was still coming from the angle of the tie rods???? Ok hold on I could buy that if it only did it when the wheels were on it and on the ground. But it also does it with the suspension in fully expanded or anywhere in between. At this pint I am going to reinstall the factory springs and then take it back again. This is incredibly frustrating. 3 weeks and no resolution. I'll let you guys know what happens on Monday.

Is there any possibility that its the hubs?

I now have new tie rod ends on my car, but the clicking noise is still there. The mechanic said he looked the old tie rod ends over and everything looked good/normal and he was surprised when he got the new ones on and it still made that noise. I mentioned that others are having similar issues and he said he'd send it up to Ford and get back to me when he hears something. The car drives fine and they're working on it so I'm not too worried. To be continued...

I currently have a creaking noise when I turn the steering wheel... I've been told by a repair shop that I need to replace the upper strut mounts.... 500.00 included the alignment... I told them I will just put up with the creaking noise for now...

How many miles on your car? You may want to clean and lube them before you replace. I did that to mine and it made a difference.

A quick follow-up' date=' my dealership heard back from Ford and they're going to swap out the rack. I'm not sure if my previous post made it to this thread but they replaced both tie rod ends last week (tech said both of the original ones looked fine) and the clicking noise was still there.[/quote']

Wow the the rack? I don't believe that is the issue with mine. I honestly believe that its in the hubs, Mine goes in tomorrow and I'll let you know.

Back to the dealer today and they have decided to replace both hubs in the front. They are on order will report back once I get them installed.

"Edit"

I spoke with my dealer's manager this morning. Interesting he said there is already another one in the system with the same issue that had the hubs replaced and it fixed it.

dmharvey79 you may want to have a chat with your dealer and have them look in the system again. you car could end up spending a lot of time at their place instead of yours. If they get it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Not saying it is or isn't, but I pick up mine from the dealer today and they replaced the front hubs and no more noise!!! So if you have the same noise as mine have your dealer look into the hubs!

Sorry the above was posted from my iPhone so I decided to add some more info for those that may have this issue. After several weeks of heading back and forth to the dealers my issue is finally resolved. The kicker was the timing that I noticed the issue right after I installed the new springs. I also had some other side effects of the bad front hubs (wheel bearings). I noticed a vibration under hard acceleration from about 70km/h and above before the new hubs were installed. The front end also seems much tighter now (like I remember when the car was new). The bottom line for me is that the diagnostic method was really difficult in the fact that without the pry bar between the knuckle and the rotor I may still be at this with my dealer. With any luck this was a small batch of bad hubs and there aren't too many of these out there on the 2013's. One more point that the part number for the hubs are different for the 2013 PP's (same as the Police Package) and the rest of the SHO's. It looks like they changed it for the 2013's. So this could end up being a TSB at some point. Thanks to all the input from you guys. This has to be one the best communities, and we love our cars!

I contacted my dealer to request a refund under my state's consumer protection laws. After letting their shop, which has the worst customer service I've ever experienced, have the car for over a week now (total) my car's issues remain. If these cars are having these types of issues at roughly 10k miles I hate to think what might be coming my way in the future...not the kind of stuff I want to deal with when I spend this amount of money on a vehicle. I might give them one more shot, if they really step up their game in response to my request, but I don't see that happening.

dmharvey, have they looked at the hubs? Without my assistance the 2 dealers would not have found the issue with mine. PM me and I can send u my dealers info, I would have yours call mine and maybe that would help them figure out the issue.
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. At this point I'm going to return the car and move on to something different. I'm not interested in keeping a $40k+ car that has these types of issues so early on, combined with service departments which drag their feet to fix it (customers shouldn't have to coach them on repairs). I've just lost confidence in the vehicle at this point, which really sucks because I was excited about getting back into a domestic car. Even if they replaced the hubs and resolved this particular issue I'd be thinking "what's next" every time I got into the car, especially once it actually gets some miles on the clock. Good luck fellas, great group of folks here and I've enjoyed it!