Ecoboost Owner Forums

Weird noise from front end after lowering, Help!

Same here, it really is too bad. I really like the SHO, I guess one of the reasons I am putting up with some grief. This is our 4th Ford in a row and the first that I have had any real issues with. My 2007 Mark LT went back after 4 years when the lease was up and all I did was change the regular maintenance (which was included) . In reflection I got pushed away from GM and Chrysler. My 2002 300M special went through 1 transmission, 6 sets of brakes in 3 years and 2 head units (my 99 300M was great just regular maintenance), My Ram the engine (A HEMI 5.7) literally fell apart in 3 years. Our Escalade started when it wanted to and I don't even want to talk about the Cadillac SRX we had. So all in all we have had great luck with Ford it's too bad you haven't.

The Top cars I have had little to no issues with.

2007 Lincoln Mark LT (one of my faves)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited

2001 GMC Yukon Denali

1999 Chrysler 300M

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to give it one more shot so I took the SHO to a different dealership. They replaced the hubs and the clicking sound is gone, which is great. However, now I'm noticing a new sound from the front end...a clunking sound when I turn the wheel....loud enough that I can hear it, and even feel it in the floorboard, with the car running and the windows up. This clunking sound happens right when the wheel is turned either left or right from dead center. How much front end / steering noise is 'normal' in these cars? What I'm hearing is enough that I'd be concerned with it on any vehicle but I just want to be sure I'm not worrying about nothing because of the past issues. I sure hope I don't have to take this car in yet again, I haven't had it for a full weekend since mid April...

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the tie rod ends to me but they were just replaced less than 1k miles ago. I plan to take a closer look today, when I got the car home from the shop and notice the new noise I just said "screw it" and went into the house to mix up a stiff drink, haha. Have a great weekend all...and take a moment to attend a Memorial Day ceremony in your area if you can.

Yep, the first thing they replaced was tie rod ends. The clicking sound was still there so Ford told them to replace the rack. That shop said it was good to go after the new rack was in but it was still clicking (worse) so I took it to another local dealer. They did the teflon washers based on a TSB but the clicking remained so they contacted Ford and were instructed to change the wheel hubs. The clicking sound is definitely gone but now I got this clunking sound.

That's what I was thinking...maybe something wasn't torqued down properly or something? The first shop was a disaster but this second one seemed like they had their stuff together. Whatever the case, not really what I was hoping for when I decided to give it one more try. Very frustrating...

That was the issue with my car. They didn't torque down the subframe after replacing the engine. Had this horrible creak. They tried to blame it my aftermarket springs. Took it to a different dealer and they found it right away. I am also considering returning the car under the lemon law. It's been in the shop for a total of 34 days since January 26th, leased the car January 16th.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is old but I had the same issue in my front end. I took into the dealership I work at today and after 15 minutes the noise was gone. The rubber bump stop slides down the strut as a result of the reduced travel and actually stays at the bottom of the strut and rub the top of the strut making the weird noise. The tec lifted the bump stop and put Ford caliper silicon on the bottom where it makes eventual and unavoidable contact and viola no noise.

Quick update...steering issues remain (also having 'Service Advancetrac' issues and rear camera is acting crazy now), contacted Ford, their regional service rep was very rude/cocky, and Ford refuses to do anything other than have me bring the car in for additional repair attempts.

I am disappointed with the issues I've had with my 2013 SHO over the first 13k miles (I understand issues happen) and I'm even more disappointed by the way Ford has handled these issues at all levels. I will never do business with Ford again and I will be sure to share my experiences with others. My dad has already backed away from plans to purchase a 2014 F150 and a guy I work with has changed his mind on a 2013 Fusion based on my experiences. I won't be buying a new F150 like I planned, my wife won't be buying a new Focus ST like we planned, and all of our future vehicle purchase won't be Fords. I sure hope you all have better luck than I did if you experience any problems with your SHO.

• 1 month later...

I've had the same problem (no lowering). I took it into our Ford store and they said there was a service kit out for it. They put it on and it is less noticeable but it's still there. Their field tech rep (who is a degenerate) looked at it and told the service manager "it's normal now." That is the dumbest statement I've heard out of a reps mouth. How is a problem thats addressed in a service bulletin now considered normal? I think they are considering this acceptable until they get a new part out that corrects the problem.

• 2 months later...

Update on the clicking/clunking in the front end of my SHO after Ford's multiple repair attempts. Ford's initial response to my lawyer was a $1,000.00 "good faith" payment to me for my time and trouble. Yeah...that will offset the additional depreciation when I try to sell this car with ongoing steering issues and a lengthy service record. So basically Ford is going to rack up a bunch of legal fees fighting me in court, likely taking the car back under a judge's order in the end, when they could have saved a lot of time/money by working with me a little. My original intent was to return this defective car and purchase a new F-150 but Ford has now lost my business and I will never buy another Ford vehicle. Watch out if your car has issues Ford can't fix, it is a huge PITA to get them to stand behind their product and do what is right.

It does take a lot of effort to move a little cog in a big machine sometimes :( Any idea what your next vehicle will be?
Initially I was chalking this up to 'stuff happens' and anticipating Ford being a little more cooperative, and I was looking at a new SuperCrew F150 FX4. I really like the EcoBoost engine, Ford trucks seem to have a solid reputation, and really I wanted to continue giving an American automaker my business. As this issue has played out I've drifted further and further from the idea of doing business with Ford in the future and right now the Toyota Tacoma is on my short list. If I were to go for a car comparable to the SHO it would probably be an Audi A4 or a 3-series BMW. The Tacoma also has a solid reputation and my wife's 2006 Corolla with close to 200k on the clock has only had one issue (bad ECU) which was quickly resolved by Toyota a couple of years back. Like I've said before, it really sucks because I did a lot of research prior to buying the SHO and I planned on keeping it a long time. However, at the end of the day the car has issues and I can either dump it or continue paying a hefty payment to leave it at the shop, so they can throw darts at the problem, and drive budget rental cars. I looked into trading the car in (at a significant loss) and buying the F150 but the dealership didn't even want to make me an offer on the SHO, which says a lot in my book. I guess we'll see how things play out...

It does take a lot of effort to move a little cog in a big machine sometimes :( Any idea what your next vehicle will be?
Service departments are a crap shoot IMHO. If you have the time and energy, you can find a good one, though it may be far away. Haven't found internet ratings to be reliable, better to go by word of mouth. And you are lucky if your vehicle doesn't come back etched with something or the other. The Tacomas have a good reputation. If you go Audi/BMW, make sure you get the best warranty possible; fixes are EXPENSIVE!