Ecoboost Owner Forums

What's up with the V-Bulletin?

HighBarSHO

Looks like the "fans" of the site changes and work effort are the premium members and moderators' date=' both who have a vested interest in the the site doing well. For us regular users the change has been horrible and no taptalk. The key to a good upgrade is copying the site to a new location and testing the upgrade to see what happens not just forging forward and see if it works. If there's so many spammer issues I would think other sites on the same software would be hollaring as well, if that's the case then moving off this platform would have been the best case scenario. Here's the bottom line though, if you want people to pay to be premium members and vendors to pay to be a part of the site then as the Admin you need to pay to have some professional services done to take care of the site not just wing it and then apologize for the issues. If you have made this a for-profit site then it needs to support itself by paying out when the issues are beyond the technical capabilities of the site management.[/quote']

I am very familiar with doing a "soft" test before going live on the new software program. I waited for Vbulletin to announce VB5 as a "stable" build, only then did I upgrade. Sure, there are a few bugs as to be expected and I'm sure Vbulletin will be on top of them as quick as they can.

For your information, even though it is none of your business. I paid the extra fee for Vbulletin to move the old site to the new VB5 platform on a brand new server. It was absolutely not in the mindset of "just wing it", you should not assume something you know nothing about.

I said back when this board was first started this is not a business to me. Your really going to go on ranting about the cost of a premium membership? Plenty of sites offer this option. I look at it like this, if you appreciate the information and interaction with the community and want to donate to the greater good of the site, then become a premium member. In return for helping us out, you get small commodity items like a colored username, a larger PM box, larger signature permissions, etc. I can tell you right now, sponsors and premium members haven't nearly covered the cost of the server and software invested into this site. Where do you think the rest of that money comes from? My pocket. Not to mention plenty of hours of my time fixing problems for members.

It's very simple. I try to the best of my ability to make this forum a knowledgeable fun and easy to use tool. The moderators and myself put a lot of time into trying to keep things running smoothly. I welcome everyone and anyone to this site, and I've learned you can't please everyone. At the end of the day if the site isn't enjoyable to you, no one is forcing you to come here.

-------------------------

Now for all the issues at hand.

1: Only displaying page (1) on a multi-thread page. This is a bug that Vbulletin is aware of, it will have a permanent fix in due time. Someone mentioned if you click inside the page box where the number "1" is and type any number, the rest of the pages will show. This did work for me.

2. Copy and pasting HTML links (to Youtube,etc). The links appear broken. This is a bug Vbulletin is aware of, it will have a permanent fix in due time.

3. Tap-A-Talk is not working. I am aware of this, installed their VB5 approved version last week and its not wanting to take. I'm still actively working on this when I have time.

4: Lay out. I know the new layout isn't very aesthetically pleasing and may be hard to navigate for some. There are many companies that offer Themes/Skins for Vbulletin. Once they are upgraded to work with VB5, I will find one similar to our old setup. This should make it much easier to move around the site for you guys that are used to the old look.

You have to realize this site is on a 100% stock copy of Vbulletin 5. I have made no modifications to make it "buggy" or hard to use. If you yourself bought VB5 tomorrow and installed it on your own forum, this is exactly how it would look. I too wish Vbulletin would of corrected these simple issues before their release but hey, what can you do. At this point, I am at their mercy to get things corrected. It might be a few days, or even weeks, but I think in the long run it will be well worth it.

As soon as I have the ability to correct all of the above, you have my word I will. Please bear in mind I'm not some internet ninja that sits in a dark cave and plays on the internet all day. I am a real person with a day job and all work done to this site is on my free time. As always I appreciate everyone's patience, time and support. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Ryan

In all fairness I was just commenting on the new layout. This will not prevent me from reading and being a part of these forums one bit. 12Shoman needs to chill out on his badass Ninja "IT" skills. Another look at me...I'm smarter than you kind of thing. Not needed in an adult car forum please...

We can shut this thread down if need be. :)

Thanks,

In all fairness I was just commenting on the new layout. This will not prevent me from reading and being a part of these forums one bit. 12Shoman needs to chill out on his badass Ninja "IT" skills. Another look at me...I'm smarter than you kind of thing. Not needed in an adult car forum please... We can shut this thread down if need be. :) Thanks' date=' [/quote']

That is a good idea. :) If anyone has any issues that aren't covered in what I mentioned above, please PM me. Thanks.

In all fairness I was just commenting on the new layout. This will not prevent me from reading and being a part of these forums one bit. 12Shoman needs to chill out on his badass Ninja "IT" skills. Another look at me...I'm smarter than you kind of thing. Not needed in an adult car forum please... We can shut this thread down if need be. :) Thanks' date=' [/quote']

Thanks for the viewpoint! I think almost everyone has been great about dealing with the new layout, and I found nothing wrong with your comments. Things are coming around and before long everything will be working and we'll good with the new layout.

I'm very glad to see that some, if not most of you, are appreciative of the changes made thus far..... it has been a struggle (in some aspects) and these implemented changes were necessary.

It's disheartening for me to see a small one or two individuals attempt to disrupt, and/or occlude the community overall, with what amounts to be improperly based opinion(s).

I know I for one haven't see one single cent from all the endless hours upon hours upon hours I've (voluntarily) invested into this community.

All the arguments that have begun at home because I've told the Wife that I'm "busy" tending to forums related issues, etc.

Truthfully, I don't care to see any monies either...... to imply this site is being run for profit is downright laughable.

As far as any of the issues that are still being worked upon, I am glad ADMIN has addressed those, and I hope that it lends the rest of you some degree of reassurance, that your EBOF staff continues to be dedicated to this site, and your experiences here.

I guess in closing, we're not ever going to make every single member here happy, but please know that we try to.