Ecoboost Owner Forums

Wish me some luck....

bpd1151

I've been experiencing progressively increasing shoulder pain over the course of the last year or so....

Run my course of Coritzone shots and Physical Therapy over that same time period, all to no avail :RpS_sad:

Kinda knew this was heading down this path, and it's taken a couple of days to resign myself to the fact that my Ortho Dr. confirmed this week, the necessity of me needing a surgical procedure performed.

As such, it's been scheduled for the 21st of this month.

I'm only fretting because I have not been able to attribute the pain to any type of specific "incident" or "triggering event" if you will, therefore, all of the time I will be taking off will be at the expense of burning up my own accrued sick / personal time. Gggrrrr.... :RpS_thumbdn:

The screwed up shoulder is effecting my dominant hand, so post op recovery oughta be interesting for me since I'll certainly be all discombobulated trying to do so many things I'm inheritently used to doing "normally" with my opposite hand/arm.

Just not too happy about having to place another check mark on the list of procedures I've had done over the years. Sucks get'n old :crutch:

Wish me luck.

By all means, yes good luck. And yes it most certainly does suck getting old, especially when your mind thinks your still half your age. I have yet to ever to go under the knife and I hope that I never do, but I can most certainly feel your concern. But I am sure with all the thoughts and prayers you will be receiving, it will be successful and you will have a speedy recovery. Gods speed and thoughts and prayers my friend.

Good luck...I feel your pain, I've had several surgeries of which I attribute to getting old as well. First was repair of two hernias (building fence lifting too many bags of cement), second was operation due to cancer..so good luck hope all goes well and here's to a speedy recovery.

Good Luck Mike, I feel your pain.

I just got out of surgery myself on Friday. For My left arm.

My rt one was done in April of last year and still have trouble with it. 6 weeks in a sling and 3mo's more in therapy. Wasn't until 6mos when I could move it or lift it anything like I could before I injured it. Huge Bone spur, had a detached Bicep muscle and a detached rotatorcuff. They drilled holes in the end of my bone to anchor the tendon for the cuff with a mesh. Anyways its getting better and that was in last April.

This one on my left I fared better. Just a torn cuff and a huge bone spur and a patch of arthritis they scrapped off. A week later and I am out of sling (yesterday) now and on the road to recovery.

Dr's and nurses say the shoulder surgery is the worst pain you will feel. I believe it.

I have no Idea how it all happened to get bad. The only thing I could image that made them go like that is lifting kegs of beer and also material and vices onto machines in a machine shop all my life. Now I don't drink and I program CNC's/Tool Design instead of running them.

I remember when my Rt arm went, it always hurt and felt bad over time. I was going up stairs at work and tripped a little and reached out for the handrail and missed, snnnap! I could hear it and feel it. Never went down but after that I could never lift my arm but very little. It just dangled by my side.

They say when one goes the other side goes too.

Go easy afterwards mate.

Is it bad that once I started reading this thread, all I could think of was the six million dollar man intro?

-Good luck with the operation and the surgery sir!

That's funny stuff cuz...

My Boss asked me today if I needed a faster computer cuz of all the bionics I must have now. I said no. He said "what you aren't the 6 million dollar man?"

Mike did they do a MRI yet?

I hope you come out of the better end of this deal as a more enhanced human. Like the 7 million dollar man. A professional of your caliber needs to have the identical ability of any professional athlete. The skills to chase down and apprehend a "perp" half your age is essential to success. Good luck, Mike. Let the Bionic Woman know that her secretions have a 5W-20 taste. Erotic!

I'm only fretting because I have not been able to attribute the pain to any type of specific "incident" or "triggering event" if you will, therefore, all of the time I will be taking off will be at the expense of burning up my own accrued sick / personal time. Gggrrrr.... :RpS_thumbdn:

The screwed up shoulder is effecting my dominant hand, so post op recovery oughta be interesting for me since I'll certainly be all discombobulated trying to do so many things I'm inheritently used to doing "normally" with my opposite hand/arm.

Here is the key....Get an attorney. Make a claim for "cumulative trauma". You have what almost 20 years on the job? Our job is tough on the body. PM me if you ever want more info. Be safe.

Mike, just read your post. Of course you will keep us updated on how it is going. Having had 4 or 5 surgeries on my knees (I really can't remember how many) I know how tough therapy can be recovering. It will be hard work and painful, but I'm sure you know you have to push yourself to get back to normal. I must tell you the ortho's are so good these days, that recovery is much better then years ago. My knees were injured in 1984 and I am still struggling with pain and lose of movement, but I still have both legs and can still walk and dive, so it could be much worst...I was close to losing my right leg. So remember keep a positive outlook and remember that you have got to be as dedicated to doing therapy as you have ever been to anything in your life and you will be fine. Best of luck my friend, will keep you in my prayers and I know we will all be very concerned to hear something on the day of surgery, so please let as know ASAP.

Mike,

I pray everything goes well and wish you a speedy recovery. Leave the chasing of the bad guys to the young ones :crutch:. I am 50 and thankfully I have not had to go under the knife. Although in my Jiu Jitsu and Krav Maga classes I do come home with various cuts, bruises and sprains when I roll with those LE guys...what's up with those guys :RpS_confused:...LOL

Let us know how it goes.

Guest 4DRHTRD

Gotta love getting old, I'm always hurt any more wrestling with the team or competing in my 40's. Starting to train for another veteran nationals in May, have to drop 35lbs to make weight again... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fella's.....

Got home around 9pm yesterday. Procedure was originally set for 12noon, but then got pushed back 'til 3pm.

Went longer than anticipated to.... I was told it was gonna be about an hour, but wifey said I was in there for slightly over 2 hours.

They used ultrasound PRIOR to the anesthesia, to guide their way into my brachial plexus and plunge a medium sized needle into the side of my neck to "block" my entire arm.

It's like 7am now and my damn arm is still numb. Annoying.

I was told to sit/sleep in an upright position due to the meds they used to block / numb my arm. Part of the side effects are that it enlarges the abdomen & diagphragm, and then in turn pushes onto my left lung, making my breathing labored. Certainly not ideal by any means, and quite honestly, i didn't sleep for poop overnight, a 1/2hr here & there, nothing consistent.

No alcohol either 'til I'm done takin the Norco pains meds. Ugh.

I do have this nifty mini cooler type thing that's filled with ice and a lil bit of water. There are hoses that attach to a large pad which is wrapped around my shoulder & it plugs in to circulate the cold water from the cooler, into the pad. So it keeps it constantly cold, pretty cool stuff.

The nurses were all like "oh boy you're get'n the same thing that professional athlete's use"..... I laughed and replied with "I'm far far far from being a pro athlete".

Anyhow, just wanted to say thanks again for the kind words, I'm growing restless just sitting here like a slug on the couch, :couch2: so it's nice to read all of the comments posted thus far. :wink:

Wow! That's a lot of typing on pain meds..besides the little cooler did they give you a Steven Hawkings device that allows you to talk to your computer while it types for you.. :becky:

All joking aside, glad to see you communicating on the forum..just a thought, you may be able to convert that cooler/pump contraption (once your recoverd) to pump other things besides cold water..hmmmm ..beer,whiskey !!!:madgrin:

Holy Christmas, Mike, they 'renovated' mostly everything while in there --- You'll come home with a 'spring in your step' -----

HeeeeeeHaw...look out Mama!

All kiddin' asside bro....hope you're out soon -- try to be patient and take only very small sips of the Johnny Black they sneak in for ya.....:cheerful:

Colin.

Archived