Ecoboost Owner Forums

Here's one for ya

This is truly an unfortunate experience, considering the expectations of purchasing a Lincoln. My mom lived and died in a Towncar. When I would visit my parents in Florida in the 90's, my mom would let me use her ride to get around. I was amazed the way that V8 would get all that steel moving quickly.

After driving Cadillacs in the 80's when I was in high school, the Towncar was her first Ford. I think she loved it. She kept it longer than any of the Caddy's.

There is a certain amount of respect that comes with purchasing a luxury car like yours. If you are not receiving the attention warranted by owning a fine ride like a MKS, then your frustration is totally justified.

It is odd that you are experiencing a level of service that appears to be contrary to most of us who own a Taurus'. Your Lincoln dealership should be held accountable to their substandard ability to service the quality customers, like yourself.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go to at least 2 more different Lincoln dealers, or to a large Ford dealer that has a SHO in stock.... Talk to them about your issues as well as your service problem with earlier dealer and Lincoln. They are all independent owners. Know it's hard to do... but I would go in playing like it was just a mistake... rather than FORD IS WRONG.... Sometimes sweetness works best. Or have your wife take it in and slyly complain.... And you might now want to wait till you have Dyno results.

I have not' date=' I made them aware of it the last time I was in for service, was told it was not a service bulletin on my vehicle, so I'm guessing NO!!!!!!! Jackasses![/quote']

They are correct, as far as we know only people who visit this forum or another are aware that this is a problem, even though it was a dealer that found it...so Ford has not put out a bulletin about it, you would almost have to show them what and where to look for this problem. It is very difficult to find the sensor and more difficult to see the chaffing without removing a bunch of stuff.

I know I can, but according to the rep, you have to go to the purchasing dealer...I know it's a crock, you know it's a crock, but that is what the idiot said. Still like the "if they can't find a problem, there is not a problem, I am closing the claim"! Wow...

Getting dyno'd saturday, we'll see whats up.

How did the dyno pulls turn out?

well, just more proof that I am murphys law in action. Went to BLUNT Creations in Pennsauken Saturday at 12:30. Waited for an hour and a half, the Owner was a no show. No call, no messages. So No numbers....If you are in south jersey, stay away from them! I had an appointment confirmed with them before I went. So it must be me!

well' date=' just more proof that I am murphys law in action. Went to BLUNT Creations in Pennsauken Saturday at 12:30. Waited for an hour and a half, the Owner was a no show. No call, no messages. So No numbers....If you are in south jersey, stay away from them! I had an appointment confirmed with them before I went. So it must be me![/quote']

Wow, sorry to hear that! What a pain... Since Ford isn't aware of the issue with the knock sensor wires and there is no TSB, the simplest solution may just be for you to take a look.

-Rick

well' date=' just more proof that I am murphys law in action. Went to BLUNT Creations in Pennsauken Saturday at 12:30. Waited for an hour and a half, the Owner was a no show. No call, no messages. So No numbers....If you are in south jersey, stay away from them! I had an appointment confirmed with them before I went. So it must be me![/quote']

dang dude... that just plain sucks... sounds like you and your car are jinxed...

No it's not you.......keep your chin up -- things will improve.

As Rick says, maybe it's time to have a look yourself. Did you get in for the dyno yet? If not, those guys will probably not mind looking for you.

In the meantime don't get so down -- It won't do any good.

There will be someone who is familiar with this issue that can help. Check around for a specialty shop.

C.

No it's not you.......keep your chin up -- things will improve.

As Rick says, maybe it's time to have a look yourself. Did you get in for the dyno yet? If not, those guys will probably not mind looking for you.

In the meantime don't get so down -- It won't do any good.

There will be someone who is familiar with this issue that can help. Check around for a specialty shop.

C.

Are they in NJ???? I don't think they are local.

• 4 weeks later...

I am 99.9% certain that KAM is reset every time you load a tune. It would make no sense to retain the driveability characteristics of a different tune.

I would ask the dyno shop for a discount for my trouble. And be sure to get the numbers in SAE format to account for atmospheric variations.

I am 99.9% certain that KAM is reset every time you load a tune. It would make no sense to retain the driveability characteristics of a different tune.

I would ask the dyno shop for a discount for my trouble. And be sure to get the numbers in SAE format to account for atmospheric variations.

This is correct. However, disconnecting the battery to clear out memory, will cause the processor to go through another adaptive learning cycle. If for instance, there is no preset data table in the program for the driving characteristics (i.e. air flow, temp, O2 reads etc.) due to some kind of modification, the CPU will apply adaptive strategy and write custom parameters to flash memory. I was told this could take several weeks depending on driving characteristics for optimum engine driveability. Once this new data is written, then everytime the system re-starts, it simply loads this new set of parameters instead of the pre-written data. Much like a BIOS in a PC that you customized.

Note: That DTC codes are NOT cleared. You need a special tool connected to the Ford PTS to clear. This is one way Ford 'knows' if a modification has taken place. This is direct from a Ford Engineer friend!

Unfortunately, the one reason why I have not done any serious modifications because I lost my inside Ford Service Director person due to retirement....father.:doh:

• 4 weeks later...
This is correct. However, disconnecting the battery to clear out memory, will cause the processor to go through another adaptive learning cycle. If for instance, there is no preset data table in the program for the driving characteristics (i.e. air flow, temp, O2 reads etc.) due to some kind of modification, the CPU will apply adaptive strategy and write custom parameters to flash memory. I was told this could take several weeks depending on driving characteristics for optimum engine driveability. Once this new data is written, then everytime the system re-starts, it simply loads this new set of parameters instead of the pre-written data. Much like a BIOS in a PC that you customized.

Note: That DTC codes are NOT cleared. You need a special tool connected to the Ford PTS to clear. This is one way Ford 'knows' if a modification has taken place. This is direct from a Ford Engineer friend!

Unfortunately, the one reason why I have not done any serious modifications because I lost my inside Ford Service Director person due to retirement....father.:doh:

Have you stayed away from tunes as well ?

Have you stayed away from tunes as well ?

Yep....

The Ecoboost is probably one of the most scrutanized engines for warranty claim. Anything related to increased engine performance due to non-OEM mods is flagged O-O-W! I have a K&N drop in filter and put the sticker on top of the filter housing and was advised not to even advertise that and to keep my regular filter just in case. Trust me, I would have Livernois in my car now if I had my previous mentioned 'buffers' in place. I modified the crap out of my '99 (honed, chipped, exhaust, etc.) as well as many other earlier cars.

When you go to track, or do some WOT runs from a stop thru 2nd gear, be sure and LOG with your SCT & LiveLink II (SCT Software) on your laptop. You can log up to 18 parameters. Need both Lambda's (A/F). FRP. MAPv, TIP , RPM. MPH sent to ECM, IAT, MCT, and whatever else you want. Perhaps you can talk with Rick to see what else, and then send a few of these logs to Livernois for evaluation. They should be able to see what may be happening, if you still are seeing slow times. I would also listen to the comment on checking the wires for the knock sensor. At least pull them away from the top of the engine with a strap.

Archived