Ecoboost Owner Forums

FedEx Arrived This Morning

FedEx arrived early this morning to delivery a small package from LMS! Contained a new MyCal tuner, the 4X tune, and a new 160 degree thermostat. Since the weather here is really rainy and just plain ugly today and probably tomorrow, it looks like my week end project will be installing the 3bar sensor, new thermostat, removing the old tune and installing the new tune. I haven't used the MyCal before, so is there anything I need to know about it. And should I install the new parts before installing the new tune, or tune first then the parts?

Put the 3bar sensor on before you install the new 4X tune. I did it the other way and the had the "wrench" show up on the dash. The difference from 4X to 4+ is amazing.

Brian, I'm planning on this for a Saturday project, if you're not busy, you're welcome to come down and help with everything!

Mike, only thing I got accomplished was returning the car to stock with the SCT tuner...did it between storms here. Tomorrow is my aim to install 160 thermostat, 3 bar sensor and the new 4X tune. Hopefully the sun will be shining and I can get a test drive in with the new parts. Didn't drive the car stock...just started it...and somehow it just sounded weaker....need to get that new tune installed!

The return to stock with the SCT device, the installation of the 3 bar MAP sensor and the flashing of 4X all went off without the slightest problem. That little MyCal is a very friendly device and when plugged into the port, it provides clear instructions. Since LMS already had all of my info, the tunes, including stock were already loaded.

EVERY aspect of daily drivability seems improved. At idle, it even has a higher vacuum reading than before which is a good indication of overall engine efficiency. Driven reasonably, shifts are smooth as silk - quick but smooth. It pulls from a low RPM very smoothly. I would rate the overall smoothness as a primary benefit. Strangely, the engine even sounds more refined - almost turbine-like.

Acceleration is brutal....vivid...freaky...awesome! My car was quick before...but my butt dyno and the amount of wheelspin I get now tells me it is improved. I will need to take a trip to Mexico to confirm but I know it is better. I did see boost over 13 PSI and I never had that before. I don't even know what the maximum boost will be since I really haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it. I do get a little "honk" when I back off after utilizing the boost. I think Larry mentioned that, too.

Anyway, more comments will follow after I spend more time with it. I would give Dan a big thumbs up and Dave a big thanks for allowing his car to be a guiney pig.

Time estimate looked right, until I dropped the ratchet and needed something to grab it...plus found dirt that needs to be cleaned in engine compartment. I removed the Airaid for easier access to the thermostat housing...getting ready to head back out to finish removing stock thermostat and install new one, then probably another hour detailing and reassembling engine compartment...may actually get to test the new tune this afternoon.

Finally test drive complete and the car feels great. More low end torque and the car seems super smooth under normal driving conditions. Only thing left is to change to the SP 534 plugs. That will be done ASAP. but this new tune is amazing...I thought the car felt fast before, and now I'm sure it's even quicker....couldn't be happier!