Ecoboost Owner Forums

Livernois Tuned SHO vs. 2012 Jeep SRT8

Livernois Motorsports

And... one of the issues I have heard about 2012 SRT8 Chrysler vehicles from a 2012 Challenger owner is that there is no tuning software at this time. His best run was a 13.5 - stock (stick). Pretty vehicle... Silver with Black stripes. His son tunes with HP Software& has several race vehicles. Guy also has a new Camaro ZL-1 on order....Must be nice....

Thanks for the replies!

And... one of the issues I have heard about 2012 SRT8 Chrysler vehicles from a 2012 Challenger owner is that there is no tuning software at this time. His best run was a 13.5 - stock (stick). Pretty vehicle... Silver with Black stripes. His son tunes with HP Software& has several race vehicles. Guy also has a new Camaro ZL-1 on order....Must be nice....

Yeah, Chrysler software has always taken several years after a new design to come out.

We have a ZL1 on order too.... ahh I can't wait for my new summer toy ;)

-Rick

I ran with 2 of them last fall at Beech Bend, the first time dood was quite surprised when topped him with a 12.8 run, he ran a 13 flat. 2 weeks later I was equally surprised when some guy ran a 12.3 something against me, that thing was damn quick. Never had a chance to talk to him to see what he had done to it. I'm pretty sure neither were 2012 models tho.

• 3 months later...

I am new to the forum and found this when searching for some SRT8 vs SHO performance comparisons. I have been looking at SHO's recently, but after the latest SHO test drive last week followed by driving the V8 Challengers, I am trying to get a handle on the relative performance before taking the plunge. If I understand this correctly, a tuned SHO is competitive with the SRT392 cars?

I am not going to be racing any, but given a brand new SRT Challenger is now sitting in the wife's side of the garage, I don't want to have to be fighting over the keys after buying a SHO. This may be heresy on this forum, but her car is quite a vehicle and I want to avoid buyer remorse if a SHO takes over the other garage side....

This would be my fifth SHO, so I really would like to be a proud owner of the latest generation sporting the Ecoboost.

I am new to the forum and found this when searching for some SRT8 vs SHO performance comparisons. I have been looking at SHO's recently, but after the latest SHO test drive last week followed by driving the V8 Challengers, I am trying to get a handle on the relative performance before taking the plunge. If I understand this correctly, a tuned SHO is competitive with the SRT392 cars?

I am not going to be racing any, but given a brand new SRT Challenger is now sitting in the wife's side of the garage, I don't want to have to be fighting over the keys after buying a SHO. This may be heresy on this forum, but her car is quite a vehicle and I want to avoid buyer remorse if a SHO takes over the other garage side....

This would be my fifth SHO, so I really would like to be a proud owner of the latest generation sporting the Ecoboost.

A new SHO with a CAI/Tune will have no problem running around the SRT cars, especially on the street if the SRT is RWD. Which will be funner to drive? Even if they are very close in performance the SHO should feel faster from the "turbo pull". Usually turbo cars feel like they pull harder then an N/A car even if they run around the same 1/4 mile time. I don't think you'll regret picking one up, good luck! :)

Welcome aboard there Jim1274.....

It looks like your profile snafu was corrected. Please be sure to post up an intro thread so other members here recognize your new sign up here on EBOF accordingly.

As far as your question(s) pertaining to the newer late model SHO's and their capabilities VS. their Domestic competitors, I'm inclined to say that both variants are loads of fun to drive.

Given I've come from an later model Charger (the modded '07) I can confidently say that my SHO is a helluva lot more fun to drive.

I think Darrell's last dyno was something like 402whp and I'm runnin the same set up (minus the PP gear ratio) so I'm think'n I should be close to the same.

The last dyno I did on the Charger (before the dbl rollover crash) was 312rwhp.

SO I modded the Charger quite a bit, and have only really modded my SHO somewhat at this point (although others will argue that).

Like others have said, due to our cars being boosted already, any resulting perf mods seem to have a greater impact than they do on the Chrysler powerplants.

I think the videos and info posted in this thread thus far is fairly documentative of that.

Welcome aboard EBOF once again there Jim :yo:

A new SHO with a CAI/Tune will have no problem running around the SRT cars' date=' especially on the street if the SRT is RWD. Which will be funner to drive? Even if they are very close in performance the SHO should feel faster from the "turbo pull". Usually turbo cars feel like they pull harder then an N/A car even if they run around the same 1/4 mile time. I don't think you'll regret picking one up, good luck! :)[/quote']

Thanks much for the feedback. Given the SRT Challenger is a LOT of fun to drive, your comments help ease my concerns. I drove the Challengers just a few minutes after the SHO, and it seemed night and day difference to my seat bottom. Guess I need to take the SRT back over to the Ford dealer and run the used SHO a little harder through the paces right after getting out of the SRT. admittedly, it is not a fair compare given the stock SHO. It actually seemed to me that the stock SHO pulled a lot more like my TL than it did compared to the SRT 392.

It seems tuning is a whole different game now compared to back in the day on previous gen SHO's. I had a modified '91 and just ran my next three ('93, '94, and '99) stock after that experience-- seemed just a small incremental improvement for several thousand bucks invested in every bolt-on and tuner chip reprogram, but I never did get around to a dyno test for real numbers. Swore I would never tune a car again after that...but looks like I spoke too soon....

I thought it was the consensus view that a CAI didn't really add anything but some great engine sounds to the SHO (if that) ? Or does that only apply to a non tuned car? Has anyone dyno tested bone stock+tune vs CAI+tune? I'm sure livernois has printouts of both?

I probably should've stipulated my '07 Charger had the 5.7 and NOT the 6.1

Either way, I would say that the newer 6.1's (392's) are faster in stock format, car vs. car that is.....

But suffice it to say, the EB powerplants are much more receptive to tuning mods and other related perf mods.

I hear 'ya on the whole concept of how perf mods now are having a much more profound effect on cars of current design(s) VS. those of "yester year".

I think it's pretty damn exciting honestly. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but like I said, honestly, the newer SHO's are a blast to drive.

I chuckled once when someone referred to it as a "techno-sled" due to all of the creature comforts and gadgets, and doo-hickeys it offers VS. the competitors.....

So bottom line, fun to be had all the way around.

Welcome aboard there Jim1274.....

It looks like your profile snafu was corrected. Please be sure to post up an intro thread so other members here recognize your new sign up here on EBOF accordingly.

As far as your question(s) pertaining to the newer late model SHO's and their capabilities VS. their Domestic competitors, I'm inclined to say that both variants are loads of fun to drive.

Given I've come from an later model Charger (the modded '07) I can confidently say that my SHO is a helluva lot more fun to drive.

I think Darrell's last dyno was something like 402whp and I'm runnin the same set up (minus the PP gear ratio) so I'm think'n I should be close to the same.

The last dyno I did on the Charger (before the dbl rollover crash) was 312rwhp.

SO I modded the Charger quite a bit, and have only really modded my SHO somewhat at this point (although others will argue that).

Like others have said, due to our cars being boosted already, any resulting perf mods seem to have a greater impact than they do on the Chrysler powerplants.

I think the videos and info posted in this thread thus far is fairly documentative of that.

Welcome aboard EBOF once again there Jim :yo:

Glad to be aboard! Not sure what an appropriate intro would be--guess i shold focus on my quest to find an Ecoboost SHO soon to stop lusting over the wife's new SRT?

If my prospective SHO even close to the fun of her car, I will be a happy camper. My recent test drive of a SHO right before the Challengers left me with serious doubts. Don't get me wrong, as I can hardly drive my TL after those cars, and the SHO was a notable step-up in fun. Just want to make sure I am not going to need to sneak her car out and leave the SHO in the garage....

I need to take a more extended and spirited drive in the SHO again, I am thinking. Given I have already had 4 SHO's, will not take too much to buy number 5.

From my experience, as much as I love the SHO, it doesn't give the same feeling as when driving a RWD... BUT, a RWD will outperform an AWD only when weather is nice... Here in Quebec, that is about 25% of the time, the other 75% it is too cold, too rainy, too snowy, too icy... and in all those situations, the SHO is more fun to drive than any RWD and mostly more efficient to benefit from its power. Since, you already have an SRT8 in the garage, the SHO would wisely complement. NOW, with only a tune, your SHO would be as fast as the SRT8 from 0-60mph. If you say that you don't race, in my book, that is good enough... And if, like many of us, you decide to add a bit more $ on the SHO (around 3-5K$), you will be faster in the quarter mile, much faster from a dig and about as fast on the highway... So, personally, I really enjoy my SHO! I can drive it all year around, it is fast, luxury, reliable, affordable and what is fun also is that, unlike the SRT8, you can get close to 30mpg on the highway if you want... Power is always there, but when you need it! Also, Twin turbos mean no lag and available torque from 2000rpm... Go ahead my friend, buy the SHO and you won't regret it...

Cheers and keep us posted!

Steve

Just to add about the feeling though : I get a very good feeling when I am 3 cars in front of any SRT8, Shelby or Corvette from a dig until 60mph... (maybe not at the track when glued and with slicks, but in real life, bye bye other cars)! Oops, am I aloud to say that? ; )

I may have said this before... but in Jan, at Bradenton Strip - 70 deg... I was running high 12's low 13's with Flex. 2012 SRT8 Challenger Stick could not get below 13.5. A SHO w/o methanol spray, and with a 93 tune will usually do these times or better, as they weigh 400 lbs less than my Flex, plus are more aero. Solution is to make sure you get a PP SHO.

I may have said this before... but in Jan' date=' at Bradenton Strip - 70 deg... I was running high 12's low 13's with Flex. 2012 SRT8 Challenger Stick could not get below 13.5. A SHO w/o methanol spray, and with a 93 tune will usually do these times or better, as they weigh 400 lbs less than my Flex, plus are more aero. Solution is to make sure you get a PP SHO.[/quote']

I am still not that convinced about the PP... Until I had the meth kit installed, my non-PP was the fastest SHO with only tune, Airaid, exhaust and springs. And I just ran 12.4 and got a 113.5mph trap speed with the tune that LMS adapted for my setup without dynotuning it... Temperature and wind not being favorable... So, PP or not, I don't think that is a requirement for performance... Just saying. ; )

EDIT : 2nd fastest after First-SHO... He did a 12.4 at 111.8mph! Don't know what helped for his impressive time and speed :could be the PP and proving me wrong about my doubts or the throttle airflow, lighter wheels and tires, weather conditions... who knows. One thing for sure, he'll be very very fast very soon!

I might add a helpful perspective since I came from a modified '07 Jeep SRT8 (Borla 'S' exhaust, Bwoody CAI, Diablo Predator tuned, Eibach Springs). Stock SHO, the SRT wins hands down in performance. Now that my SHO is LMS tuned, it feels just as fast. The added benefit is the improved creature comforts. The SRT suspension is tuned aggressively and the interior was a clear step behind the SHO. The SHO leans more towards "luxury" performance than flat out race performance. Granted, I didn't have a challenger, the engines are very similar between the SRT cars. One more item to consider is fuel consumption. I know mpg shouldn't be a factor when you're looking at performance cars, but it's an added bonus to average 20+ mpg than 12/14 mpg.

Good Luck in your decision!

Steve, you have a fast SHO, plus you have great Stripping conditions... both ALT and Temp help. That day at Bradenton the DA was around 600FT, and actual ALT was 30 FT. You also have tires that seem to really hook up well. My son has these on his GTO and says the same thing. Just saying a 3.16 of equal stature will beat a 2.73.

Steve' date=' you have a fast SHO, plus you have great Stripping conditions... both ALT and Temp help. That day at Bradenton the DA was around 600FT, and actual ALT was 30 FT. You also have tires that seem to really hook up well. My son has these on his GTO and says the same thing. Just saying a 3.16 of equal stature will beat a 2.73.[/quote']

I know it makes sense Bob, but there are a lot of us out there and beside First-SHO, I haven't seen any faster on the track than mine, that is why I still have doubt. Beside, I would have chosen a PP if they would have been available in Canada...

So, they might be potentially faster for the 1/4 mile I agree but for the 0-60, I still believe hat the extra shift isn'T helping for that stat alone.

Anyways, the OP would still make a good decision going with a SHO (transition for the thread to be back on track lol).

Thanks much for the feedback. Given the SRT Challenger is a LOT of fun to drive, your comments help ease my concerns. I drove the Challengers just a few minutes after the SHO, and it seemed night and day difference to my seat bottom. Guess I need to take the SRT back over to the Ford dealer and run the used SHO a little harder through the paces right after getting out of the SRT. admittedly, it is not a fair compare given the stock SHO. It actually seemed to me that the stock SHO pulled a lot more like my TL than it did compared to the SRT 392.

It seems tuning is a whole different game now compared to back in the day on previous gen SHO's. I had a modified '91 and just ran my next three ('93, '94, and '99) stock after that experience-- seemed just a small incremental improvement for several thousand bucks invested in every bolt-on and tuner chip reprogram, but I never did get around to a dyno test for real numbers. Swore I would never tune a car again after that...but looks like I spoke too soon....

Hi Jim, I owned 1972 challenger RT,1993 SHO, look at buying a brand new 2009 CHALLENGER, But got the 2011 SHO w/PP and LIVERNOIS TUNE,Last year before tune I out run every 5.7L HEMI I ran. After the TUNE (Thanks Rick) I smoked a SRT8 CHALLENGER on a 70mph roll-off hit a 140mph and was still walking away from him. but the SHO will not burn the wheels off, if you like smoking tire more than going fast the SHO is not your car. PS I can run 57sec. autocross lap stock with Honda S2000 MODDED only running 54sec. laps. IT turn as good as it goes straight.

From my experience, as much as I love the SHO, it doesn't give the same feeling as when driving a RWD... BUT, a RWD will outperform an AWD only when weather is nice... Here in Quebec, that is about 25% of the time, the other 75% it is too cold, too rainy, too snowy, too icy... and in all those situations, the SHO is more fun to drive than any RWD and mostly more efficient to benefit from its power. Since, you already have an SRT8 in the garage, the SHO would wisely complement. NOW, with only a tune, your SHO would be as fast as the SRT8 from 0-60mph. If you say that you don't race, in my book, that is good enough... And if, like many of us, you decide to add a bit more $ on the SHO (around 3-5K$), you will be faster in the quarter mile, much faster from a dig and about as fast on the highway... So, personally, I really enjoy my SHO! I can drive it all year around, it is fast, luxury, reliable, affordable and what is fun also is that, unlike the SRT8, you can get close to 30mpg on the highway if you want... Power is always there, but when you need it! Also, Twin turbos mean no lag and available torque from 2000rpm... Go ahead my friend, buy the SHO and you won't regret it...

Cheers and keep us posted!

Steve

Thanks for your comments, Steve. I have never owned a performance AWD drive car, but have driven a couple. The SRT came with 3 season tires, so it is not going to see winter here. Yep, that SHO seems the perfect compliment to the SRT8. Frankly, I am still shocked and never would have thought the SHO with only a tune could run with that SRT8. The SRT8 still has under 100 mies on it, so I am going somewhat easy on the gas pedal yet, but I can feel what is there. Now I am getting nervous about buyer's remorse on the SRT8...hmmmm....SHO..as fast...4 season AWD...4 doors...better mileage...a fair amount less expensive....

The SHO is a done deal--not if, but when. I actually put the wife in a SHO test drive before the Challenger to see if that would work for her. She liked the SHO, but a whole different animal than a retro style large displacement muscle car. I still am shocked she liked the "yellow Jacket" version now sitting in the garage....

Oh, and while I said no racing, well....hope I don't end up being made a liar on that!

Archived