Ecoboost Owner Forums

Drivetrain Durability Upgrade

I’ve had the SHO for about a month now and its been great. Its getting to that time of year where I need to get my car really for the AutoX season. I do plan on AutoX’ing the SHO in the stock class for now, so there is not in the way of modification that I need/can do. Something I did want to do was to work in increasing the drivetrains durability, especially since I’ll be racing the car. The new 2013 SHO Performance Package has a “Enhanced Cooling System” which includes a engine oil cooler & extra transmission cooler. The SHO is also my DD and I put a good deal of miles on the car so I was thinking about getting a additional engine and transmission cooler install on the car. I wanted to know if anyone else has done this and if there is any real benefit to doing it.

That is what i was thinking when i saw it. You typically wouldn't add something like that "just because" and it doesn't really increase performance. So i think i found the coolers i'm going to install. As far as the Diff and the transfer case i don't believe there is anything i can do about that.

Not sure how EB Flex cooling system, including Tranny Oil cooler, larger radiator, Grille opening etc. is different than SHO. It would seem that since the Flex can tow up to 4,500 lbs for long distances, that Ford must have felt comfortable with that package, or they wouldn't allow 4,500 lb towing. Wondering if the 2013 EB Flex has upgrades in this area.

Personally, I have not seen any cooling issues with the engine, whatsoever, though I am running a 170 deg T-stat. Haven't checked Tranny Oil Temp, but haven't noticed any issues in all my 35,000 miles. My G8's heat up much quicker while waiting to run at the strip.

Given the Flex is by default setup to more utilitarian than the taurus it may have already come with these upgrades(engine and Tranny atleast.) Before i get tuned i'll look to get this done first. If anything it will just be a little bit more protections to the drivetrain. The Coolers i'm looking at are less than $80 each so i just to find some place to get them installed.

Definitely a good idea... Just thought some of the parts are probably already in the Ford bin, & before 2013. Of course, when I run at the strip, there is a considerable period of cooling down, even if I immediately make another run on a low traffic day.

Guess it would be good to have gauges for engine & tranny oil temps, if one were continuously running their vehicles hard. In my Denali XL that we used to own, It had a Tranny Oil Temp Gauge built into the dash cluster. When towing heavy trailers, it went up slightly, but never very much.

I was just reading about the enhanced cooling system that comes with the PP. I wonder why the Ford engineers decided to add the additional cooling capability? Possible failures related to insufficient cooling?

From previous discussions I had with an owner who's trans crapped out on him, it was my understanding that he thought one of the reasons for it, was due to the lack of a separate trans cooler on the 2010 he owned.

He mentioned something about the design of the 2010 (and no changes for the '11 or '12MY that I am aware of) that somehow the cooling systems are all intertwined with eachother and that efficiency wise, probably not the best design as he found that the trans fluid would heat up quicker than he thought it should, especially after repeated, hard pounding.

And this owner was very hard on his SHO.

I think he got it replaced under warranty if I'm not mistaken and was (or had) worked with FMC for the design changes in the 2013MY.

He never did fully divulge what the hell went wrong for the record, but he did make brief mention of the inefficient cooling systems on the 2010-2012's as being a contributing factor in his opinion to the failure of his trans. So who knows.

I would be interested in w/e aftermarket mods that racerx happens to locate in reference to this topic and will be monitoring his thread accordingly :thumb:

From previous discussions I had with an owner who's trans crapped out on him, it was my understanding that he thought one of the reasons for it, was due to the lack of a separate trans cooler on the 2010 he owned.

He mentioned something about the design of the 2010 (and no changes for the '11 or '12MY that I am aware of) that somehow the cooling systems are all intertwined with eachother and that efficiency wise, probably not the best design as he found that the trans fluid would heat up quicker than he thought it should, especially after repeated, hard pounding.

I think he got it replaced under warranty if I'm not mistaken and was (or had) worked with FMC for the design changes in the 2013MY.

He never did fully divulge what the hell went wrong for the record, but he did make brief mention of the inefficient cooling systems on the 2010-2012's as being a contributing factor in his opinion to the failure of his trans. So who knows.

I would be interested in w/e aftermarket mods that racerx happens to locate in reference to this topic and will be monitoring his thread accordingly :thumb:

I'll keep you updated. I'm going to email the shop where i want to have the work done this week to make sure the coolers i'm looking at will work. I want to get this done before the racing season starts.

Definitely a good idea... Just thought some of the parts are probably already in the Ford bin, & before 2013. Of course, when I run at the strip, there is a considerable period of cooling down, even if I immediately make another run on a low traffic day.

Guess it would be good to have gauges for engine & tranny oil temps, if one were continuously running their vehicles hard. In my Denali XL that we used to own, It had a Tranny Oil Temp Gauge built into the dash cluster. When towing heavy trailers, it went up slightly, but never very much.

I have a OBDII gauge that i used to monitor fuel pressure, and fuel trims on my MS3. I'll Hook it up to the SHO and see if it can read the temps.

Good idea... wondering if this data is available in engineering mode?

The person who had the tranny blow up was Kirk @ NESHO, who also supplied my X-Pipe mod with the 3rd cat & mid-muffler delete. He also created and built Mike's entire catsback exhaust.

Wonder why he hasn't shown up over here yet. Know he has been asked.

I believe our tranny inte-rcooler is integrated into the radiator, and is not separate, which is preferable.

Agree that a separate tranny cooler is the best way to go. I know things have changed over the years, but I remember when we were running Stock and Super Stock classes we always keep a large sprayer of cold water and would liberally spray both radiator and transmission cooler radiator with cold water between runs to help with the cooling.

• 3 months later...

I know who you speak of, and yes he is very spirited driver...lol

racerx I run auto-x too but in the novice class and only 1-2 times a yr for fun only. BUT as a DD like you I want to know what will keep it a DD? Also hit the dragstrip about ones a month to. Will adding oil or trans cooler knock you out of the GS CLASS? That what class they have me in to.

racerx I run auto-x too but in the novice class and only 1-2 times a yr for fun only. BUT as a DD like you I want to know what will keep it a DD? Also hit the dragstrip about ones a month to. Will adding oil or trans cooler knock you out of the GS CLASS? That what class they have me in to.

More so now that we have a OEM solution, the PP tranny cooler will not take you out of stock class. So you can still run GS

For AutoX do you really need a trans cooler' date=' et.al.? I was very heavy into autox when I had my '95 Mustang and the runs were so short that I never saw any brake fade/over heating/ etc.....just my $0.02 worth....[/quote']

Between waiting in the paddock for your run with the car running and your runs the tranny temp can get up there on hot days. As others on hear have noted the temps can get pretty high just in stop and go traffic so imagine what they do when AutoX'ing. Also the user stated that beside AutoX and some drag racing he wanted some additional insurance to keep the car running well at its primary duty as a DD. Adding a Tranny cool will do nothing but help for those want to keep things as fresh as possible. If you granny drive the car in D all the time at or below the speed limit and you never boost then i'm sure you wont see a big benefit from it. For those like me who AutoX, Road Course and drive the car daily in "M" then the Tranny cooler is a welcome addition.

More so now that we have a OEM solution, the PP tranny cooler will not take you out of stock class. So you can still run GS

Between waiting in the paddock for your run with the car running and your runs the tranny temp can get up there on hot days. As others on hear have noted the temps can get pretty high just in stop and go traffic so imagine what they do when AutoX'ing. Also the user stated that beside AutoX and some drag racing he wanted some additional insurance to keep the car running well at its primary duty as a DD. Adding a Tranny cool will do nothing but help for those want to keep things as fresh as possible. If you granny drive the car in D all the time at or below the speed limit and you never boost then i'm sure you wont see a big benefit from it. For those like me who AutoX, Road Course and drive the car daily in "M" then the Tranny cooler is a welcome addition.

I not sure I unstand, if it is stock on 2013 but a up grade for a 2011 what all can we change, like 13 brake sys(disk,cal,mastercyc) and be stock just because they are OEM?

Since the 2010+ SHO are all the same options available from the manufacturer' date=' even performance ones are allowed to be added to the car and it still stay in the stock class.[/quote'] I was think if I get serious about auto-x I want to up grade the brakes and now add oil & trans cooler. SO I can stay in the stock class because THIS GREAT CAR(SHO) MAKES A BAD NOVICE LOOK GOOD LOL. ;):third:

Archived