Ecoboost Owner Forums

Warranty vs. Tuning

SHOICIDE

Not sure if this topic has been touched on, but the very first day I purchased my SHO, I made a comment about to my dealer about changing the exhaust and his immediate response was, "that'll void the warranty".

Well, come to find out that is not exactly true under law.

ENTER:

Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975

What this ACT (law) states that unless the damage was a direct result of your aftermarket modifications they can not legally void your warranty.

I encourage those who were in the dark about this matter can do a simple Google search of the ACT for better understanding.

So, there it is. Hope I'm not restating something all SHO owners already know, but I found myself being a bit hesitant after the dealer said I would void my warranty. Apparently, Warranty modifications aren't his speciality.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975

Here is a link for a brief look

http://m.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html

Yes, this has been touched upon more than once.   Here and at other forums.  But it doesn't hurt to mention it again since it's been while that I have seen it brought up.  Plus, it usually comes up inside of a thread and not as a thread by itself. 

Does your ride have purple front marker lights?  Or is it the lighting giving that effect?  Which Battlestar was 313?   B 

Yes, this has been touched upon more than once.   Here and at other forums.  But it doesn't hurt to mention it again since it's been while that I have seen it brought up.  Plus, it usually comes up inside of a thread and not as a thread by itself. 

Does your ride have purple front marker lights?  Or is it the lighting giving that effect?  Which Battlestar was 313?   B

Got you. And no, the purple is a photo effect. 313 is the Detroit area code.

Thanks for the feedback by the way.

You should have discussed this with the dealer before purchase, some dealers are more flexible about mods. My dealer is aware of everything I've done to the car and has never hassled me over the warranty issues. I would suggest finding a dealer that won't have a problem with some mods, instead of your purchasing dealer. Since they are being jerks about voiding the warranty, you already know they will hassle you over anything you want to do to the car, it will only frustrate you in the long run. Especially when there are plenty of dealers that will be willing to work with you.