Ecoboost Owner Forums

Need Input About The PI-Help!

mjhpadi

So this evening while fueling up the SHO our local PD stopped me. Didn't do anything wrong but they are very interested in the Police Interceptor SHO. The officer wants me to bring mine out to show the chief and take him for a ride. Also they would like to get info on the new PI version. Interested in seeing photos of the interior and things like mileage and the specs on the car. So if someone could help me find the info, I sure would appreciate all the info I could gather to pass on. Thanks.

So this evening while fueling up the SHO our local PD stopped me. Didn't do anything wrong but they are very interested in the Police Interceptor SHO. The officer wants me to bring mine out to show the chief and take him for a ride. Also they would like to get info on the new PI version. Interested in seeing photos of the interior and things like mileage and the specs on the car. So if someone could help me find the info' date=' I sure would appreciate all the info I could gather to pass on. Thanks.[/quote'] All I know is what I've read on-line but I did a event like yours. 2 drifferent times PD stop at a light and ask me about the SHO and one was in a 5.7L charger.I told him I eat R/T Charger for lunch( at the track:first:) all day long. wait til I get LMG tune then bring on the SRT8.

One of the reasons the local PD is so interested in the Taurus is the AWD and the fact that their Chargers are only averaging 7-8 mpg in real world daily patrol duty. So one of the most important things that they are interested in, is what the new PI is getting for mileage in real world police use. Also they are really interested in the Sync/My Ford Touch in the car because they could talk to calls without a Bluetooth or cell phone on the way to calls, since our com center is working on the ability to transfer calls directly to the responding officer. So, if anyone has any knowledge of the mileage the Taurus is seeing in it's daily patrol duty, I sure would like to know to pass it on.

Not sure how I missed this thread. But yes Mark, most agencies were initially turned on by the AWD capabilities.

But most municipal Mayors / Presidents want to be able to tout to their constituents, that they are "Going green" by ditching the old, gas guzzling V8's, in favor of more fuel efficient V6's.

Hell, if my Mayor had his way, we'd be driving either Smart Car's, or the Chevy Volts for Christ's sake. Lame. I know.

But it's reality. The politicians are look'n at the bottom line, and fuel consumption of a municipality's fleet is HUGE. Especially come budget time.

I know we were in line to order a total of 15 of the new Ford PI's. 9 of them Taurus's, 6 of them the Explorer's.

But due to the constant production delays, the mgmt over at Public Works who maintains the PD fleet, essentially told the Mayor that (some) of our Crown Vic's are tired, and need to be replaced.

We ended up pick'n up 5 of the Wimpala's to tie us over until FMC fulfills the HUGE back order of PI cars.

Also, most municipalities have a pretty strict pursuit policy in effect that essentially (w/o going into great detail) hog ties the normal beat cop from being able to pursue.....

So I wouldn't even doubt that you'll see a lot of towns seeking out the "lower" grade of PI cars, the ones with the smaller, normally aspirated power plants.

I really own envision State agencies being able to justify the costs of the EB power plant quite honestly.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Mike, our local department is in a fairly good position as far as money goes, since it has become a regional force in the past 6 months. Also since I do have some history with both of the departments that make up the new regional force, they are willing to listen to my input. As it stands now the chief is going to do a "ride along" with me in the near future to see the performance and handling of the SHO. So I am pretty happy that the department has asked my input on the new Taurus, so anything I can learn about the PI from actual real world experience is appreciated. Since the car is just now getting into the hands of departments, I understand that feedback is really limited right now, but I sure would like to see our department pick up a couple of the Taurus PI's. From what I understand they are less then impressed with the new Chargers, and they are willing to move away from them. Understand that our area lends itself to a lot of slow cruising in a limited area with a bit of rural driving and almost no highway use. The big concern is that the chief would like to be able to equip the department with some vehicles that get even slightly improved mileage over the Chargers and their Hemi's. I think they would be very happy if they could have a vehicle that would get any mileage in double figures.

Sounds like one of those sting setups. You will show up and they will arrest you for outstanding warrants. ;)

As Colin said (his best singing voice) when I told him this story: "Bad Boys, Bad Boys, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?":mod:

bpd I know nothing about the PI but my car stock on road trips gets 26-29 mpg back and fore to work (28mi 1 way) 20-22 mpg at SCCA autocross 16-17mpg all day long. Can't think that patrol duty would be harder mpg than autocross ( stop full go,stop go, stop&go). I think that ecoboost will be a.lot hi mpg than the charger. yes?

No clue on what the Charger's are getting as far as MPG.

There are a lot of factors that a municipality considers when purchasing new vehicles. MPG is one of them.

Also, when you cite the MPG you were achieving, even during racing, etc... what I think your not factoring into the equation, is that most squads are left running, idling, for long periods of time.

A/C running, etc etc. This has a huge, negative effect on actual MPG.

I do believe the EB's will be much better than the 5 new Chevy's they bought. I did try to get them to buy a few Charger's back when I had my own as a POV.

But the Mayor was quoted as saying "why do they need the HEMI's?" (Cuz he wants to tout his ability to keep costs down by using a higher mileage vehicle).

All that said, I drove the sh!t out of my own Charger & was lucky to get 13 MPG. I was usually in the 11MPG range.

Again, there are a myriad of influencing factors, not just MPG.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Archived