Ecoboost Owner Forums

Installed An Auxiliary Trans Cooler (04/17/12)....

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should also formally take a moment to personally thank the following for helping me with this install, as he has ALWAYS helped in all of my installs along they way when it has come to modifications on my SHO build.....

Mr. Matt Hencinski, owner of:

Auto Wizard, dba Manhattan Auto Works

13965 W. Barr Road

Manhattan, IL. 60442-9002

Phone: (815) 727-9359

Email: trymy5@aol.com

Matt is very thorough when performing installs, and his expertise / background is in electrical.

Matt enjoys doing the "fun" projects like the one's I bring him, and says it's a refreshing change of pace from his "routine", run of the mill, day to day repairs he and his employees do to earn those paychecks.

I highly recommend if any of you are in the general, SouthWest suburban area of Chicagoland, looking Matt up and contacting him reference any mods you may have in store for your SHO / EcoBoost platform.

Plus, he's already familiar with them as he's earned experience working on mine :thumb:

Awesome job Mike!!:thumb:

Looks like it came from the factory that way....

Thank you good sir :thumb:

Had it not been for your help, including the posting of the diagrams you obtained from your secret squirrely sources, probably would've been a huge PITA to track down all of the proper parts, etc.

So for that my friend, thank you once again :hail:

I should've of taken pics of it at the time, but my local dealership fleet sales manager asked me to keep it hush hush (they had three PI's in their back lot, 2 Taurii and 1 Exploder) as no one knew they were in their inventory.

I had an opportunity to visually inspect the cooler location, etc as they had the front clip off of the Exlpoder at that time to figure out wiring schematics for the various emergency lighting and siren equipment.

But yes, it is almost like factory as far as the mounting, location, depth/distance from the larger, stock cooler, etc.

So all in all, it was a great install and the benefits were IMMEDIATELY noticeable.

Mike,

I think it's awesome and at the same time thankful to have guys like you, Crash712us and everyone else that take the time to go out on a limb and experiment on the 'What Ifs' for the SHO.

Torrie is shipping mine tomorrow. Looking forward to the installation.

Sooooo..... What kind of trans temps are you getting now?

Check out post #116 of this thread for more info on temps.

Thanks EBB for answering that.....

Like I said (in post 116) it's difficult to truly compare, as the original temps I was seeing a few weeks back, were occurring when it was in the mid to upper 80's outside. My tranny temps consistently were just over 200, & would QUICKLY dart up to the 220 range if I was hard on the car.

Since the aux cooler install, my tranny temps have NEVER gone beyond 180.

They typically stay around the 160 range. But that's only 2 days of having driven around with the aux cooler installed.

The outside air temps however have been in the upper 60's the last few days.

Even when I was hard on the car, travelling well into the 3 digit figures, the tranny temps NEVER EXCEEDED 180 .

Now there could be a few other variables in play here.

I do have the Mobsteel upper and lower mesh grilles (better air flow).

I also had LMS kick my cooling fans on at a lower temp with the tune file I am running. I had that done to compliment my lower temp 170 thermo from Unleashed Tuning.

So all these variables combined could be contributing to the SIGNIFIGANT overall reduction in the tranny temps i've seen in just the last 2 days alone.

The true test in my opinion only, will be when the temps creep back up into the 80's & even the 90's here in the Chicagoland area.

But initial observations are that:

A. This mod alone has shown an approx 35-40 degree drop in tranny temps.

B. The tranny temps also have risen very slowly & are much more controlled.

C. As a result, the trans is shifting much crisper now & is more responsive.

Between this reply, and what I posted under post #116, I hope combined, that that has answerered some of the questions you might have had there Steve O.... :thumb:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Excellent work!! Your hard work is much appreciated!

Thank you good sir :thumb:

Mike,

I think it's awesome and at the same time thankful to have guys like you, Crash712us and everyone else that take the time to go out on a limb and experiment on the 'What Ifs' for the SHO.

Torrie is shipping mine tomorrow. Looking forward to the installation.

We've got quite a few members here that actually have gone out on that proverbial limb.

Hell, we even have a few others that are doing so right now (but I've been sworn to secrecy).

So for me, I'm just glad to be part of the group quite honestly.

It's invigorating and even more exciting times are not too far off for us EcoBooster's..... so as I like to often say.....

"Stay Tuned....." :whoo:

Just wanted to provide a one week update on the temps I've been seeing since the install of this mod.

I've been monitoring my tranny temps by means of the Ford Racing Series Trans Temp Gauge mounted inside my 2010 SHO.

Most of my trips are generally back and forth to work, or back and forth to/from each of my 3 kids school's and their various after school activities.

These trips are for the most part, about 20min each way, so probably a total driving window of 30-40minutes, stop and go. When driving to work, I usually try to avoid the Tollways as Illinois increased the tolls this year and the one's by me are like $3.80 to pass through just one of them.

There is however a long, 6/7 mile stretch of road (which is not an experessway mind you) and if no cars are around, I can open up the SHO in a rather spirited manner.

BEFORE this mod, I was seeing tranny temps generally around the 200, 205 mark. If I drove her hard, she would quickly ramp up to 220, but fall back down (eventually).

Keeping in mind my described driving habits above, it would be very easy to hit that 200 mark and would do so rather quickly.

AFTER this mod, using the same driving habits noted above, the temps would struggle to get to around the 160 mark and I'll add it took quite a while as the temps would go up VERY gradually.

Now I had an occassion to hop on the Expressway to drive out to my Dad's house yesterday, which is about a 1/2hr trip one way. I drove the SHO rather spiritedly, and didn't hesitate to slow down to posted limits, and then punch it to get into warp speed modes.

The trans temp consistently stayed in the 170-172 range.

Once I hopped off the Expressway, and navigated the various side streets in order to arrive at my Dad's, the temps once again dropped back down to around the 160 mark.

I still have NOT gone beyond the 180 mark since installing this cooler. NOT ONCE.

To say I am overjoyed at this mod alone would be an understatement.

I am very excited for each of you who have considered this mod, and/or are awaiting your parts order, so that you can each report back here as to what your experiences are after installing this aux cooler.

Now I had a text message discussion with a NON-EB Forums member who disspelled my statement to him that my trans seemed to respond better following this aux cooler install.

His comment specifically was "impossible".

While acknowledging to him I am by no means an expert at all, and for the most part, am just a weekend gear head, I assured him that my shifts don't seem to be so sluggish and that they're more crisp if you will since having installed this aux cooler.

This change was enough of a difference for me to notice, and to make mention of it here. I can't help but think that (and believe) that this is a DIRECT result of the added aux cooler that has helped signifigantly reign in and control the tranny temps I was seeing before this install.

Again, I am looking forward to what some of you fellow 2010-2012 SHO owners experiences are, so please, once your parts arrive and you complete the installs on your ends, post up.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

I still wonder if your original thermal bypass valve was dysfunctional.

Not likely. I say so because normal operating temps are 200.

Fellow EB Forums member 'the PUNISHER' is literally SUPER knowledgeable in transmissions & he recently signed up here after a lil nudging by a certain someone :whistle:

If you scroll back, you'll see his comment on this fact, here within this thread.

Also, temps will increase obviously, like with everything else (oil, coolant, hell even your brakes for that matter) when the cars being pushed hard.

The fact that after pushing the car hard, the temps I saw shot up to 220 and then would gradually fall back down to 200 tells me that the thermal bypass valve is/was operating as designed.

The difference here with the auxiliary cooler is that the temps i've seen thus far are much more controlled.

Slow to rise, quick to fall and never have sky rocketed to what I was seeing before.

Certainly anythings possible there steve o, but I wouldn't necessarily think the before and after results have anything to do with a faulty unit pre-install.

The key here, will be for others who are planning this same mod, is to start logging their pre-install temps NOW. In a wide variety of driving styles.

Then simulate those same driving styles post install and see what the temps are.....

Thus the reason why i'm curious as to what others results will/are going to be my friend :thumb:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Archived