Ecoboost Owner Forums

Catch Cans? Anyone running one?

I know this was discussed before and it was kinda decided that our cars really don't need one, but I can't remember why, maybe EBB can chip in on the reason, seems like our cars have a system that catches most of the oil and emissions that go into a catch can, but I just can't remember the exact details.

I know this was discussed before and it was kinda decided that our cars really don't need one' date=' but I can't remember why, maybe EBB can chip in on the reason, seems like our cars have a system that catches most of the oil and emissions that go into a catch can, but I just can't remember the exact details.[/quote']

The EcoBoost has a factory installed catch-can. It is self-draining, back into the engine, so it doesn't require any maintenance... Not sure how well it works... it is located on the corner of the valve cover and is circled in the following picture:

engine2b.jpg

I posted the same pix from my car last week either here or on SHO Forum. It appears to work quite well, at least in my case, as I don't have any oil in my intake. I have catch cans on both my G8's and they accumulate around an ounce of oil every 2K in suburban type driving like we have here in Naples.

I asked the same question shortly after buying the Flex, and got the same answer as above. With almost 35,000 mi on my Brick, the intake is very clean. Of course, I also occasionally get on it to the point of cleaning everything out with W/M!!!!!

Archived