Ecoboost Owner Forums

New Engine Cover Look

That actually looks pretty cool :thumb:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. It certainly isn't as sharp as your one off carbon fiber cover, but I am pleased with how nice it turned out, since this was the first I've really ever worked with pin striping, other then the door handles.

Thanks everyone.

It certainly isn't as sharp as your one off carbon fiber cover.

But, I am pleased with how nice it turned out, since this was the first I've really ever worked with pin striping, other then the door handles.

Mark, you have no idea what a major pita that one-off CF cover was....

8 months+ and I had to file a police report against him and he was this/close from having an arrest warrant issued.

Even then, he screwed up the clear coat and I had to take it to my body shop and beg for them to re-clear it.

It was a borderline nightmare.

Trust me, what you did is much rewarding to look at.... good job bro :thumb:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

:whistle:

So yesterday it was raining and with lots of pin stripe vinyl, I spent a few hours with the engine cover and here is the result of being bored and rainy day:

.IMG_5474.jpg

mjhpadi you stole my ideal I told bpd ( on TCCA FORUM) that I was going to paint mines like that becauce my 93 sho had the intake runners paint the color of the car,so I was going to do the same 2011 cover. But I like your's. Its all good.:tsk::biggrin1:

• 2 weeks later...
Any special paint that you used on the handles and the cover? What should I buy.

Actually it isn't paint, I used vinyl pinstripping that I picked up at Advance Auto. I had contacted Classicars about cutting my vinyl for the door inserts, and Ken suggested trying 1/4" pinstripping vinyl. The pinstripping vinyl isn't as thick as the hood stripes that Ken makes, but the color match is perfect and it is holding up very well at this point.

I can agree with the hold up of this mod. I knew it would look good but I worried that it would start to unstick and what not with all that heat.

I would recommend washing the cover with soap and water to help make the surface more accepting of the pin striping.

It has held up great so far after 2 months. The true test is the Louisiana summer heat coming soon. All in all, best 3.99 I ever spent at autozone.

Actually it isn't paint' date=' I used vinyl pinstripping that I picked up at Advance Auto. I had contacted Classicars about cutting my vinyl for the door inserts, and Ken suggested trying 1/4" pinstripping vinyl. The pinstripping vinyl isn't as thick as the hood stripes that Ken makes, but the color match is perfect and it is holding up very well at this point.[/quote']

Sorry I missed it Mark.....Great mod -- very distinctive. Big Thumbs up bro ... :thumb:

I can agree with the hold up of this mod. I knew it would look good but I worried that it would start to unstick and what not with all that heat.

I would recommend washing the cover with soap and water to help make the surface more accepting of the pin striping.

It has held up great so far after 2 months. The true test is the Louisiana summer heat coming soon. All in all, best 3.99 I ever spent at autozone.

How about prepping the surfaces with a little alcohol to superclean? Would that damage the PVC?

C.

Thanks Colin, I was bored one rainy afternoon that I didn't have anything scheduled and just started playing around to see how it would look. Any you are right on, I cleaned the cover with alcohol wipes before appling the vinyl to the cover, and since the cover was off the car and is not near the PVC, it didn't seem to affect anything. Just wiped down the cover and let it dry completely before applying the vinyl.

Thanks Colin' date=' I was bored one rainy afternoon that I didn't have anything scheduled and just started playing around to see how it would look. Any you are right on, I cleaned the cover with alcohol wipes before appling the vinyl to the cover, and since the cover was off the car and is not near the PVC, it didn't seem to affect anything. Just wiped down the cover and let it dry completely before applying the vinyl.[/quote']

Hey Mark -- I figured the alcohol wouldn't damage anything -- but the cover is made of PVC vinyl -- just wanted to make sure it didn't soften.:)

I wouldn't mind doing that. I'll have to get a couple tips off you b4 starting.

C.

Only tips needed is be massively OCD like I am. If I wasn't as bad as I am I would never have sat for 4 hrs doing the mod.

True dat -- I think a lot of SHO owners are OCD -- --(me included)

What about the striping -- where to get it and is it special heat resistant, thicker, need details.

Thanks

C.

No, just regular pinstripe vinyl that I picked up at Advanced Auto, but no worries, I have a bunch leftover and after my appointment tomorrow AM, I will box up my leftover, and ship it to you....I don't need the leftover, and there's no reason for you not to use it.

No' date=' just regular pinstripe vinyl that I picked up at Advanced Auto, but no worries, I have a bunch leftover and after my appointment tomorrow AM, I will box up my leftover, and ship it to you....I don't need the leftover, and there's no reason for you not to use it.[/quote']

You are the man Mark -- muchos gracias.....Been so busy with other stuff lately I've not done anything with the SHO. I look forward to cleaning and striping the cover.

Watch out for winter's return today. Snow in the forecast. UGGGGGG

C.

Archived