Ecoboost Owner Forums

Pop from tranny after putting it in park, pop can be felt through shifter....

I've heard this noise a couple of times when I bought it new and didn't think much of it but now for the last week it's been doing it pretty much every time I put the car in park.

1. Put the car in park after driving.

2. Release brake pedal.

3. Car rocks back a little.

4. Very noticeable "POP" is heard from the tranny. You can actually feel the "POP" in the shifter if your hand is rested on it.

5. Problem can be replicated everytime while putting in park after driving forward or in reverse.

Thoughts?

Looks like a trip to the dealer may be in store for me. :alien:

I believe there is a transmission TSB that applies for this....

Trying to recall off hand, I think it had something to do with the bump/shift combo less than 5mph or something like that.

The TSB removes a ball or two in the shift plate, and recals the shift points, etc.

Check there 1st, but hopefully someone else with more info on the topic will chime in.....

I had a similar issue with mine but it was coming out of reverse.

1. Put it reverse out of park

2. Reversed

3. Put it in drive and the rpms stayed high for a second or 2

4. Tried to gas it and it didn't go

5. Finally engaged and a loud pop came from the transmission

6. Then the car wouldn't shift out from 1st / had to put in park and restart the car and it worked fine

Only happened once but the pop is almost always there. I need to take it in but I'm down to 1 car right now. :(

Mine does it too. I think it's just the parking pawl engaging within the transmission to keep the car from moving. I notice it sometimes when I get in my car and it will rock a little bit.

/\ My thoughts. I know the 4r70w has a "latch", for lack of better terminology, that would engage when put into park. If the transmission wasn't in the precise spot, when the tail shaft was rotated, it would click or pop when the "latch" engaged. I assume that's what you're talking about here?

/\ My thoughts. I know the 4r70w has a "latch"' date=' for lack of better terminology, that would engage when put into park. If the transmission wasn't in the precise spot, when the tail shaft was rotated, it would click or pop when the "latch" engaged. I assume that's what you're talking about here?[/quote']

Same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl

I have noticed that the SHO does take a few seconds when going from reverse to drive to engage. Could it be that you are not giving the transmission the few seconds it needs when shifting from reverse to drive before increasing throttle. That could cause a noise...but I have noticed there is a 2-3 second delay before the transmission shifts when going from reverse and forward speeds are engaged.

I have noticed that the SHO does take a few seconds when going from reverse to drive to engage. Could it be that you are not giving the transmission the few seconds it needs when shifting from reverse to drive before increasing throttle. That could cause a noise...but I have noticed there is a 2-3 second delay before the transmission shifts when going from reverse and forward speeds are engaged.

This is the first car that I have ever driven that had such a long delay engaging gears. Doesn't seem right.

I've heard this noise a couple of times when I bought it new and didn't think much of it but now for the last week it's been doing it pretty much every time I put the car in park.

1. Put the car in park after driving.

2. Release brake pedal.

3. Car rocks back a little.

4. Very noticeable "POP" is heard from the tranny. You can actually feel the "POP" in the shifter if your hand is rested on it.

5. Problem can be replicated everytime while putting in park after driving forward or in reverse.

Thoughts?

Looks like a trip to the dealer may be in store for me. :alien:

I feel as if everyone had missed what you are describing, that your problem is a pop noise after putting in park. Not while moving or changing gears. Now you say you can replicate every time, would this be while parking in any location? or just at home in your drive way or on street? If so are they on a incline? What I am getting at, if on a incline when the car rolls back or forward a bit after engaging park may cause a noticeable click. And this click is made by a parking paw in the transmission engaging. But you call it a pop, could it better be described as click? I have a fairly steep incline on my drive I will try and replicate on mine to see if I can make anything abnormal happen. One thing I have always done when parking, especially on a incline is when I apply the brake to engage park I ease off brake pedal so not roll back or forward to abruptly against park. Also many folks may not know this but park on a steep incline will not hold your car from moving. And when it lets go it will sound like some spinning a giant ratchet wrench.

I feel as if everyone had missed what you are describing' date=' that your problem is a pop noise after putting in park. Not while moving or changing gears. Now you say you can replicate every time, would this be while parking in any location? or just at home in your drive way or on street? If so are they on a incline? What I am getting at, if on a incline when the car rolls back or forward a bit after engaging park may cause a noticeable click. And this click is made by a parking paw in the transmission engaging. But you call it a pop, could it better be described as click? I have a fairly steep incline on my drive I will try and replicate on mine to see if I can make anything abnormal happen. One thing I have always done when parking, especially on a incline is when I apply the brake to engage park I ease off brake pedal so not roll back or forward to abruptly against park. Also many folks may not know this but park on a steep incline will not hold your car from moving. And when it lets go it will sound like some spinning a giant ratchet wrench.[/quote']

When it was happening a week ago or so, I could replicate it on a slight incline and on flat surfaces. I guess you could describe it as a loud click. One thing I may not have mentioned, the click/pop only occurred after the car rocked back a tad after putting it in park. If the car did not rock back, there was no click/pop. Did this everytime pulling in/out of my garage, which appears to be flat.

I, too, almost always engage the parking brake when I'm even on a slight incline.

Luckily, I havent heard it in over a week...

Archived