Ecoboost Owner Forums

Going to the Strip for the first time

SHOSKER

Looking for a little advice on how to drive the SHO at the Strip. My son has invited me to go with his college buddies tomorrow to run our cars and see what they can do in the 1/4 mile. I've got the 4+ tune, Airaid and have been running 93 octane since I got the car. Of course I'm getting all of my work junk out of the trunk, but I was wondering if any of you guys had some tips. Do you use the paddle shifters or go auto? Do you just floor it, or ease of the line then give it the beans? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I gotta go faster than my son's buddies ricer racers! By the way, my son is driving a Mustang. Wouldn't let him go to the "fast and furious" side!

First leave it in auto, it will shift better then using the paddle shifters, also most are leaving the line at about 1500 rpm before going WOT. Also it is important to learn the "tree"...don't wait until the green light comes on, hit the throttle when the last yellow light comes on, if you wait for the green light to come on you are leaving very late. Learning the Christmas tree is one of the hardest parts of racing. Good luck, but if you've never driven on a drag strip before, it will take some runs to get the hang of it, it isn't as easy as it looks at first glance.

Use auto, you will probably be using a standard or sportsman tree, so when you roll up to the line watch the top 2 sets of 2 light bulbs labeled per stage and stage, roll forward just enough to light the ore stage and stop, then inch forward to light up the stage lights (these lights illuminate when your tire has broken a pair of laser beams that tell you your tire is on the line). You want to just barely light the second set of bulbs because the next step may cause you to roll forward a fraction of an inch, and turning off the lights before the green light comes on is a red light or false start and you loose.

Next wait for your opponent to light the stage the pre-stage and stage lights (if they are already lit, don't wait). Push hard on the brakes with your left foot, and using your right foot bring the rpm to about 2000-2300. Watch as the yellow lights light up one at a time, when the third one lights up take your left foot off the brakes as fast as you can, and floor it. Don't let off the gas until you cross the finish line.

That's drag racing.

Enjoy

Use auto, you will probably be using a standard or sportsman tree, so when you roll up to the line watch the top 2 sets of 2 light bulbs labeled per stage and stage, roll forward just enough to light the ore stage and stop, then inch forward to light up the stage lights (these lights illuminate when your tire has broken a pair of laser beams that tell you your tire is on the line). You want to just barely light the second set of bulbs because the next step may cause you to roll forward a fraction of an inch, and turning off the lights before the green light comes on is a red light or false start and you loose.

Next wait for your opponent to light the stage the pre-stage and stage lights (if they are already lit, don't wait). Push hard on the brakes with your left foot, and using your right foot bring the rpm to about 2000-2300. Watch as the yellow lights light up one at a time, when the third one lights up take your left foot off the brakes as fast as you can, and floor it. Don't let off the gas until you cross the finish line.

That's drag racing.

Enjoy

Only thing I would add is you may want to release brake and floor it at the second to last yellow... depends on how fast you can react. Also turn off air and possibly the Traction Control. However, in my Flex, I have done equally well with T/C on when I don't have DR's on the front. I would try it both ways. You know you are getting pretty good starts if your 60' times are under 2 seconds. Never use the paddle shifters as they don't react quick enough at the strip.... Be sure and wear a helmet... required if your times are below 14. seconds.

Only thing I would add is you may want to release brake and floor it at the second to last yellow... depends on how fast you can react. Also turn off air and possibly the Traction Control. However' date=' in my Flex, I have done equally well with T/C on when I don't have DR's on the front. I would try it both ways. You know you are getting pretty good starts if your 60' times are under 2 seconds. Never use the paddle shifters as they don't react quick enough at the strip.... Be sure and wear a helmet... required if your times are below 14. seconds.[/quote']

Actually, some track require helmets regardless of ET... Our local track does... but really doesn't care what kind.. motorcycle, snowmobile, car... as long as you have some kind of helmet...

Considering I have never been to a track before, I am paying close attention to this thread and am thankful for all the members who have answered the OP's question(s) and offered up every lil tidbit of advice that has been suggested thus far.....

Way to step up fella's :thumb:

Mike :wave:

Considering I have never been to a track before, I am paying close attention to this thread and am thankful for all the members who have answered the OP's question(s) and offered up every lil tidbit of advice that has been suggested thus far.....

Mike, it really takes several runs and some input from more experienced racers to get the hang of drag racing...I know I've had several strange looks when I tell people there's a difference between being quick and being fast...but it's true! So don't get discouraged if your first runs aren't near what you expect...and also don't get discouraged if you let a more experienced driver take your car down the track and he bests your best time, I've had it happen to me, not in the SHO, but in other cars.

Never been? How about an Illinois mini meet at Route 66 or Cordova? I have been twice in my Mustang (plan on actually competing in street car events year) and have never been in my SHO.

Shosker' date=' we are anxiously awaiting your report from your track experience...let us know how you did...we are waiting.[/quote']

X2 What did you run? Did you beats the pants off your sons friends? Is this a PP car?

OK guys, remember this is my FIRST time ever drag racing. I could only do one run due to a crash that shut down the strip for 90 min. I did a 13.5. I know it sucks, but i did beat a modified car in the next lane that was all plexiglass and rumbling motor. They even had sponsorship. My 1/4 mile speed was 102.91. My reaction time was slow at .663 so you can take that off if you wish. Thanks for the tips. Going back in a few weeks. I live in the Columbus, Ohio area and I was running at National Trail Raceway.

Hey, that's not bad for your first time at the strip. Reaction time needs some work, but that's to be expected. A 13.5 isn't shabby at all for a stock car. You should be pleased with your effort. Just be warned if you start going to the strip it can get darn addicting. I've been to National Trail many years ago when they hosted the NHRA Springnationals, it's a nice track. If you want to practice the tree, pick up a copy of NHRA Drag Racing video game, it really will help you learn the tree. Congrats again!

OK guys' date=' remember this is my FIRST time ever drag racing. I could only do one run due to a crash that shut down the strip for 90 min. I did a 13.5. I know it sucks, but i did beat a modified car in the next lane that was all plexiglass and rumbling motor. They even had sponsorship. My 1/4 mile speed was 102.91. My reaction time was slow at .663 so you can take that off if you wish. Thanks for the tips. Going back in a few weeks. I live in the Columbus, Ohio area and I was running at National Trail Raceway.[/quote']

Hey got to start some where! And 13.5 is nothing to sneeze at!!!

Also, don't worry about your reaction point at this time... it doesn't effect your ET (elapsed time)... The ET starts when your car breaks the starting light beam and stops when you break the last set of beams at the end... So your 13.5 ET was unaffected by your .663 RT. Right now it's more important to work on your launch and get comfortable with that... do you have your time slip? Can you post it up?

New to this forum so I haven't figured out how to post pics. My 60' time was 2.185 and the temp was in the high 60's with a slight breeze going side to side. TC was on and AC off. I running Conti AllSeason DWS tires.

2.185 60' on your first time out is not bad at all!! What time did you make your pass? (should be on the time slip)

OK guys' date=' remember this is my FIRST time ever drag racing. I could only do one run due to a crash that shut down the strip for 90 min. I did a 13.5. I know it sucks, but i did beat a modified car in the next lane that was all plexiglass and rumbling motor. They even had sponsorship. My 1/4 mile speed was 102.91. My reaction time was slow at .663 so you can take that off if you wish. Thanks for the tips. Going back in a few weeks. I live in the Columbus, Ohio area and I was running at National Trail Raceway.[/quote']

What were you at the 1/8? I have the Livernois tunes and an airaid also. No local 1/4 open yet nor could I make it to one before my nephews birthday party Saturday. *BUT* there is an 1/8 open near me that I think I can sneak a few runs on.

13.5 isnt bad at all, I would be happy with it. You will find most cars at the track are not ripping single digit passes, or 10-11's you should take down a lot with your SHO if you keep going.

What were you at the 1/8? I have the Livernois tunes and an airaid also. No local 1/4 open yet nor could I make it to one before my nephews birthday party Saturday. *BUT* there is an 1/8 open near me that I think I can sneak a few runs on.

13.5 isnt bad at all, I would be happy with it. You will find most cars at the track are not ripping single digit passes, or 10-11's you should take down a lot with your SHO if you keep going.

I'm going to say 8.75 in the 1/8th... Maybe about 81 MPH

You cheated.... you reviewed all your old time slips!!!!!

Smart person doesn't know everything... just knows where to find it! LOL!

You can also get a pretty good estimate by dividing by 1.54... or if you have an 1/8th time you can multiply by 1.54 and get a pretty good guess at what your 1/4 mile time would have been..

That's true, but our AWD vehicles almost always get a reasonably good start. On my G8's, you never know.... My 1/8 mi times will be the same, but my speed in the G8 will be 4 mph higher, so I really cook in the second 1/8.

Had a friend with a G8 that turned a 1.7 60' and a 12.13 at about 110. I turned a 2.2 (bouncing 60' ) and a 13.0 @ 111. My second 1/8 was .2 seconds quicker than his, and I gained 3 mph more than he did in that stretch. That's why my 3000 Circle D stall converter will be installed when I get back to IA. He had a 3,200 stall & line lock, +slicks.. I was running Bridgestone 050A 275's. Thinking I also need some different control arms to stop the hop, though didn't get it when I bogged with Hoosier slicks.

Looking for a little advice on how to drive the SHO at the Strip. My son has invited me to go with his college buddies tomorrow to run our cars and see what they can do in the 1/4 mile. I've got the 4+ tune' date=' Airaid and have been running 93 octane since I got the car. Of course I'm getting all of my work junk out of the trunk, but I was wondering if any of you guys had some tips. Do you use the paddle shifters or go auto? Do you just floor it, or ease of the line then give it the beans? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I gotta go faster than my son's buddies ricer racers! By the way, my son is driving a Mustang. Wouldn't let him go to the "fast and furious" side![/quote']

If you have the PP you will want to disable TCS and Advance Track, do this by pushing and holding the console button for 5 seconds, you will get an "Advance Track Off" message on your dash. LMS Rick says their 2010 is quicker launching from idle, that is not the case with my car. I get the RPM's up to 2000 which is about as much as you can do with our brakes, especially after they get hot. My best times are always the first 2 or 3 runs.

Archived