Ecoboost Owner Forums

Accidentally purchased USED MOBIL 1 from Walmart

EcoBrick Bob

Can you believe it.... YOU BETTER!

Was changing my Flex oil today. Drained everything and installed a new Motorcraft Filter. Then when I started pouring in my ???New?? 5 qt. pail of Mobil 1 5W-20. Oil was very dark....:RpS_blink::doh::doh: Then I smelled it... Was burned...:mad2:

So... had to re-drain the oil I started pouring in, and checked the filter, which thankfully had no ??New?? oil in it.

Grabbed all my old oil & the ??NEW?? oil and headed to WallyWorld..:mad2::mad2::mad2:. Told them what happened, and the guy immediately gave me a new 5 qt pail of Mobil 1. No Questions Asked!!!!:yo::yo::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Either someone brought in their old oil in this container and just set it on the counter for disposal, or they literally turned it in as the wrong oil for their car, and got reimbursed. Hope it was the former, as Florida doesn't require a signature on old oil disposal, like Iowa does.

Good news is that the Flex has NO fluid leaks showing up on the under side of the car, or on the underside pan. At least my turbos look great, as does tranny case @ 35,000 mi.:RpS_love:

It wasn't there.... but there aren't any on some brands, including the quarts of Mobil 1. Cap was screwed on exceedingly tight, so it felt like the plastic cap seal worked. The replacement Mobil 1 did have the silver seal, and cap is loose on all the 5 qt pails of Mobil 1.

As expensive as it is I don't doubt some people take it home and carefully remove the caps on the ones that don't use the silver seal and pour their old oil into it, then take it back as a refund like they didn't need it. Free oil change.

I'm guilty of doing exactly that, I change oil, using an oil drain pan then put the old oil in the gallon or 5 qt. jug, depending on brand. However, every Mobil One jug, either gallon or 5 quart have always had a silver foil seal on them...I know because I'm always afraid that I will get a piece of the seal in the new oil and it will make into the engine by accident. I think Bob is correct, I'll bet someone left the jug on the counter and an employee assumed that it was new oil that someone decided that they did not want to purchase and put it back into stock. I know several times even after signing for returning the oil, the people at the counter have left it on the counter even after I had left.

There just fine... if they can speak English.....

Same store about 4 years ago, we were shopping and the Customer Service person came over loud speaker and asked for an employee who could speak English to go to the Paint Dept.... Us WASPS just stopped.... STUNNED!!! and then we all started to laugh!

Store is much better, but certainly doesn't compare to the Super Target on the other side of the Interstate. A much cleaner store.... with similar prices. On Sat & Sunday, the WalMart is like a 3rd world store... but at least they have figured out where the deals are... and where all signage is in at least 2 languages.

Archived