Ecoboost Owner Forums

SHO vs SRT 8 at the track

Paulford8

Nice Run!

An 8.7 equates to about a 13.6 (8.70 =13.57 vs 8.80=13.73) Never exactly know what your 1/4 mile time will be until you run.

How cool was it? Were you running the 4+ Tune? Is your SHO the PP or reg.?

Which track did you run?

I loaded Sta 4+ early in the day (before I went) and drove around. It didnt seem to be shifting right and when I hammered on it the thing didnt seem to shift at all, fluttered around 6.5-7K not shifting until I left off the gas. Wasnt sure what was going and thought I read 3&4+ had the same trans logic so I sent back to Stage 2. I already emailed Rick asking about it.

I will need Stage 4! The SRT8 wants to grudge match me at the 1/4, and we are super close at the 1/8. I need to get it figured out before we hit the 1/4 so I have an edge over him.

We were at Central Illinois Dragway in Havanna IL. The closest 1/4 in Cordova IL is not open yet.

The table I got for 1/8-1/4 conversion came from Torrie. I find it pretty accurate for the AWD vehicles like my Flex. My G8's which have a hard time at the line, but really come on above 4K, do better in the 1/4 than the 1/8th projects.

For a stage 2 Livernois tune... you did it proud!!!!!

I have never run that tune... I have used their stage 4 & 4+ and they never gave me any issues. Always ran very strong!

What year SRT8 is that? I ask because my buddy that I've ran my Flex against has one with a cold air intake and a tune and he routinely runs 8.3's @ 83-84mph with 1.8 60's. I'd kill to be able to leave the line in the Flex like he does in the Jeep.

What year SRT8 is that? I ask because my buddy that I've ran my Flex against has one with a cold air intake and a tune and he routinely runs 8.3's @ 83-84mph with 1.8 60's. I'd kill to be able to leave the line in the Flex like he does in the Jeep.

It is a 2008 and I believe he only has a cold air kit, no tune.

The table I got for 1/8-1/4 conversion came from Torrie. I find it pretty accurate for the AWD vehicles like my Flex. My G8's which have a hard time at the line, but really come on above 4K, do better in the 1/4 than the 1/8th projects.

For a stage 2 Livernois tune... you did it proud!!!!!

I have never run that tune... I have used their stage 4 & 4+ and they never gave me any issues. Always ran very strong!

Do you leave traction control on? I need to figure out why it shifted weird, I am sure Rick will work with me on it.

Paul where'd you end up going to get your Mustang tuned my friend?

(slight veer off topic).

It is sitting in Sycamore IL (west of Chicago) at DynotuneMP (Mike Post & another guy whom I cant recall right now). They have a good rep and do 95% Ford. Also they have a 2011 GT test car which they already worked out some of the issues I have on (long tube headers, CAI, t-body).

No results yet, hopefully early next week!

Do you leave traction control on? I need to figure out why it shifted weird' date=' I am sure Rick will work with me on it.[/quote']

I have done both.... really not much difference in times. The first time out on the 3 runs with T/C on, I got below 2 on 60's. With it off... higher. My best ever run 12.9) was with T/C on as I was having big problems with spinning my fronts and shutting down.

The last 2 high 12 sec runs were with Nitto DR's on front and T/C off. With the power & torque I am putting out, I will always leave T/C on if I'm not running DR's. Going to leave them in FL... not enough room for them on trip to IA.

Perhaps Scrming & Darreli can add their expertise/opinion.

I always leave my traction control on... the TC in the Flex is actually quite amazing... it can reduce the spinning WITHOUT completely killing performance, like in older cars... (like my 2005 Mustang). I like the little bit of safety net Traction Control gives me... Even if TC completely kills my run, they way I look at it there are plenty more runs to be had!!! I think my TC light was blinking on all my runs last weekend... going to try and get back to the track this coming weekend... might start playing with my tire pressure...

Basically my runs go like this.

There is a spot on the return road where you spin your tires to clean your tires before you get to the staging lanes - TC OFF and power brake a bit and spin the tires

Drive AROUND the water box and pull up past the water - TC OFF and do another power brake and spin the tires.

TURN TC ON and then stage.

I always leave my traction control on... the TC in the Flex is actually quite amazing... it can reduce the spinning WITHOUT completely killing performance, like in older cars... (like my 2005 Mustang). I like the little bit of safety net Traction Control gives me... Even if TC completely kills my run, they way I look at it there are plenty more runs to be had!!! I think my TC light was blinking on all my runs last weekend... going to try and get back to the track this coming weekend... might start playing with my tire pressure...

Basically my runs go like this.

There is a spot on the return road where you spin your tires to clean your tires before you get to the staging lanes - TC OFF and power brake a bit and spin the tires

Drive AROUND the water box and pull up past the water - TC OFF and do another power brake and spin the tires.

TURN TC ON and then stage.

So with TC off you can spin the rear tires? Never tried it. This track I was at had no way around the water box. After they sweep it off I just wave them away (works about 50% of the time).

I wonder if my Sta 4+ issues was because of wheel slippage. Didnt notice a TC light but the first time I got on it my fronts broke loose. Then out in the country it just didnt seem to shift, prompting me to go back to Sta 2.

I do it a bit differently. The roads in all the tracks I've gone to (4) are dirty, so no spinning will help till I get to the box. (good idea if they're clean). I used to go around the water box, but if I have been having traction issues I go thru and then spin the tires as best I can to both clean them off and hopefully heat them up. I did this on my 12.9 run. The rears rarely slip/spin much, due to the limited amount of HP & Torque that they will handle before sending the balance to the front. Thus, if you have more power, virtually all of the gain goes forward, almost immediately. So, getting the fronts to hook up is critical to a good start. When mine spin loose, the system shuts down because of the big variation in tire rotational speeds... This causes me a .3-.4 loss. Hasn't happened to me since I used DR's, but also haven't ever had 40 deg or 30 deg. temps. In fact, the nite I turned the 12.9, the temp was around 50. The other 2 high 12's were when it was sunny and 75,(with DR's).

Am thinking Scrming's A/S Kumho's are likely a much better choice when it is cold, as A/S tires don't get hard like my Conti DW summer tires, when temps go low. Also not sure what happens to my Nitto DR's when it's cold, but they have to have more grip than the DW's. When it's warm... DW's work great.

So with TC off you can spin the rear tires? Never tried it. This track I was at had no way around the water box. After they sweep it off I just wave them away (works about 50% of the time).

I wonder if my Sta 4+ issues was because of wheel slippage. Didnt notice a TC light but the first time I got on it my fronts broke loose. Then out in the country it just didnt seem to shift, prompting me to go back to Sta 2.

Hi Paul & EcoBrick I just installed the stage 2 I have the stage4+, but Rick said to start with the stage 2 try it 1st. I've not been to the track with it ,hope to soon. I went to the track alot last summer ran 13.7 all yr. long w/airaid only and 93 oct. But with or w/out T/C on or off no wheel spin wet or dry wheels. Stock I ran 2.0 60 ft and 8.96 1/8 on a 95 deg. day. I have PP and the goodyears,they just stick. Alfter 24k I just put some falken PT-722 ALL-SEASON tire on the front (will replace back next) but the front will spin now where the old F1 goodyr would not. So what tireyou have before the DR and do you have the proformance pack or not. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh6cK6yAreYdid 2011 ford sho ga 13.9 vs 5.7 Charger

Hi Paul & EcoBrick I just installed the stage 2 I have the stage4+' date=' but Rick said to start with the stage 2 try it 1st. I've not been to the track with it ,hope to soon. I went to the track alot last summer ran 13.7 all yr. long w/airaid only and 93 oct. But with or w/out T/C on or off no wheel spin wet or dry wheels. Stock I ran 2.0 60 ft and 8.96 1/8 on a 95 deg. day. I have PP and the goodyears,they just stick. Alfter 24k I just put some falken PT-722 ALL-SEASON tire on the front (will replace back next) but the front will spin now where the old F1 goodyr would not. So what tireyou have before the DR and do you have the proformance pack or not. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh6cK6yAreYdid 2011 ford sho ga 13.9 vs 5.7 Charger[/quote']

I am going to try Stage 4+ again after I get a little issue fixed (actuator door is popping in my air ducts). You should run better then me with the same tune though. Mine is a non-PP car so your gear ratio alone will give you an edge.

I bet you will rip off low 13s if not better if you run stage 4 at the track, maybe even low 13s with 2 based on me running 8.7 1/8 with just 2 and no PP.

Ha Paul thanks for imfo. I ran a tank of gas on the stage2 love it and now I going to make a run down to Jax Fla this weekend with the stage3. Will load the stage4+ for the run back to ATL(HOT ATLANTA) Q. Any idea why my youtube does not run? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh6cK6yAreY I'm try it again. HAY IT WORKS NOW HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Look how the safty guy held me at the line but I beat him anyway, hear my old lady(at the end) said he won(that me) she not good at making movies.

Archived