Ecoboost Owner Forums

Hood Stripes & side Twin Turbo sticker on, H&R Springs in, Now what's next? Spacers?

Being that we are talking about the spacers, I may have a few questions also.

I never had wheels spacers, so I'm not sure on these questions:

Once you install the wheel spacers, does that change the wheel alignment and geometry setup? (front and rear)

Any abnormal tire wear?

With the 1" spacer in the front and 1 1/2" in the rear, does the tire ever hit the fender or inner wheel well while turning fast, bumps, or driving other conditions?

Does it feel different while driving?

Thanks

Love the look of the wheel spacers SHO U UP!

This IS my next MoD. 1" in front? I would have never guessed that would have worked and thought would be a bit extreme. But I can see they look great?

Yes, as ClassicCars suggest those questions, I have them as well.

Yes I am interested in where to purchase them. Because I cannot find exactly what I need I was going to make them and have not gotten around to it yet, too busy.

So If I can get them instead I would do so.

Also I have noticed that my fender to tire is a whole 3/16" difference from one side to the other in the rear only. I would adjust the spacers to make even.

Anyone else have this difference as well?

It looks really good! On my 09' G8 GT, the aftermarket wheels I installed stick out like these... Really make a "mean Stance Look"! I did have fender issues as G8 doesn't have "factory rolled fenders", but believe Ford does, at least my Flex fenders are rolled from the factory. If they're rolled, an infrequent "zing" of tire and fender isn't a really big deal. But.. if you want to make sure... add Air Bags in the rear springs of your SHO.

I have spacers on mine and it looks a thousand times better. 1" up front, 1 1/2" in the rear. Makes the stance so much more admirable.

2012-05-05_13-50-58_92.jpg

2012-05-05_13-51-23_403.jpg

Wow, looks great!!! I'm definitely adding spacers to my mod list.

Did you plastidip your grill?

I entered the two spacer widths into an offset calculator to show the offset change for the STOCK 20" SHO wheel and STOCK 245-45-20" tire and STOCK 8" 38 offset rim to both front & rear.

If one would go with aftermarket wheels/tires with wider than stock widths, all of these offset numbers would be different.

Wheel Width Comparison for Front

This is what happens to the offset with a 1" spacer.

Wheels: Wheel 1 Wheel 2

Wheel size 20x8 ET 38 20x8 ET 12

BackSpace 152 mm (6'') 126 mm (4.9'')

26 mm (1'') shorter.

Rim Spacer 26 mm (1'') wider

Tires: Tire 1 Tire 2

Tire size 245/45-20 245/45-20

Section width 245 mm (9.6'') 245 mm (9.6'')

The NEW FRONT OFFSET BECOMES 12. vs 38 Offset Stock.

Wheel Width Comparison for Rear with 1 1/2" spacer.

Wheels: Wheel 1 Wheel 2

Wheel size 20x8 ET 38 20x8 ET 0

BackSpace 152 mm (6'') 114 mm (4.5'')

38 mm (1.5'') shorter.

Rim Spacer 38 mm (1.5'') wider

Tires: Tire 1 Tire 2

Tire size 245/45-20 245/45-20

Section width 245 mm (9.6'') 245 mm (9.6'')

The NEW REAR OFFSET becomes "0" vs 38 Offset Stock.

I had my grille painted, not plasti-dipped Got5onit. I don't see the addition of the wheel spacers causing an issue with the alignment. I do need to go back in and have mine re-done next week. I kept the same alignment specs as when I had my Eibach's installed and the rears are wearing just a little bit. My fronts are from TransDapt, and the rears are from a place in Michigan. We deal with these companies at my work so I was able to fine tune the sizes needed. I can get all different sizes but this was the best look IMO. Easy install, but I did cut off the tips of the factory studs on all of them to be on the safe side. No issues whatever so.

I had my grille painted' date=' not plasti-dipped Got5onit. I don't see the addition of the wheel spacers causing an issue with the alignment. I do need to go back in and have mine re-done next week. I kept the same alignment specs as when I had my Eibach's installed and the rears are wearing just a little bit. My fronts are from TransDapt, and the rears are from a place in Michigan. We deal with these companies at my work so I was able to fine tune the sizes needed. I can get all different sizes but this was the best look IMO. Easy install, but I did cut off the tips of the factory studs on all of them to be on the safe side. No issues whatever so.[/quote']

Are these adapters with a studs built into them?

My fronts are from TransDapt' date=' and the rears are from a place in Michigan.[/quote']

I looked for these "TransDapt" and the ones I found have had a different ID for a HUB. They are larger for a Mustang.

This has been my problem when I do look. Cannot find the 5 x 4.5, 63.3 Hub and 1/2-20 studs.

Maybe I am not looking in the right places. :)

I just want to order them and get them on.

Especially since all the leg work has been done from the guys here on this forum and how they share their findings.

Maybe I just need to give up on the HUB concentric style.....

Are these adapters with a studs built into them?

yes, the studs are built in to them.

I looked for these "TransDapt" and the ones I found have had a different ID for a HUB. They are larger for a Mustang.

This has been my problem when I do look. Cannot find the 5 x 4.5, 63.3 Hub and 1/2-20 studs.

Maybe I am not looking in the right places. :)

I just want to order them and get them on.

Especially since all the leg work has been done from the guys here on this forum and how they share their findings.

Maybe I just need to give up on the HUB concentric style.....

I have the box at home still. IIRC, they were not hub centric any longer. Off the top of my head, the part number should be 7071 but I can verify tonight and report back.

I have spacers on mine and it looks a thousand times better. 1" up front, 1 1/2" in the rear. Makes the stance so much more admirable.

2012-05-05_13-50-58_92.jpg

2012-05-05_13-51-23_403.jpg

OK! Spacers ordered. Be here in a few days. Ordered the same as you did. 1" front and 1.5 back. If my car has any trouble with them I can trim them smaller.

This will be great since I really do not want to spend the money for new rims just yet, maybe at all if these do the trick.

Well' date=' the box has been thrown away. With me and the wife preparing to move across country in less than a month, that box never stood a chance. But I'm 99.9% sure it was the 7071 part number bud.[/quote']

Do you have any issues with the spacers not being hubcentric?

Installed the Spacers over the weekend. Still need some adjusting/Trimming. Rubs slightly in the rear. But will not change much when done from these pics, Maybe .1" at most.

And by the way, 1.5" does not fit in the rear. Will be more like 1.25 or so. Fronts are currently .85".

The rear was weird. One side was very different from the other by around 1/8" or so. Makes me wonder about my alignment. Going to get that checked out again.

I have been Machining them to make all the same from fender edge. Front and rear. Almost there. This is what I have so far.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]578[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579[/ATTACH]

post-33-142532287009_thumb.jpg

post-33-142532287013_thumb.jpg

post-33-142532287009_thumb.jpg

post-33-142532287013_thumb.jpg

Installed the Spacers over the weekend. Still need some adjusting/Trimming. Rubs slightly in the rear. But will not change much when done from these pics, Maybe .1" at most.

And by the way, 1.5" does not fit in the rear. Will be more like 1.25 or so. Fronts are currently .85".

The rear was weird. One side was very different from the other by around 1/8" or so. Makes me wonder about my alignment. Going to get that checked out again.

I have been Machining them to make all the same from fender edge. Front and rear. Almost there. This is what I have so far.

This is typical with mfg tolerances. The GTO's from AU had similar issues. Ford indicates that getting rear alignment to work can be dependent on when they were built...

This means if one uses aftermarket lowering springs, you may need those bolts, or maybe not... like me. So.. a 1/8" variance from side to side is really no biggie...

On my AU 09'G8, when I had the rubbing issue with aftermarket wheels and 275's, the cut tire was just on the driver's side, though when it happened, I had a passenger. So, it too has a variance between sides in the rear.

At least the SHO & Flex have rolled fenders from factory... so a little rubbing won't hurt anything.

Well now that spacers are sized (thickness). I have a lot of space in there for the bigger brakes now, Yehaa!

Now I just need to afford them. And the exhaust. And the CAI. And the Tune...... Bla Bla Bla

Was now thinking of starting over to make a really good set of spacers out of steel and hub concentric. I have all the dimensions now. I'll just machine them up.

Being so close to the center rotation. Would the weight be such a factor? Maybe some TI. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

The aluminum spacers I have are the non-hub concentric kind. And the alum does seem to be a bit soft 6061-T6 for such a heavy car and the power it has with the weight.

Maybe not a factor. Maybe I don't need to worry. Just wanted to be extra safe.

Notes:

The car does ride a bit different, softer. More sure footed. Noticeable, but yes I can tell.

Looks more like it should have been from Ford. Lowered and tires flushed.

I get a lot more people looking at it. Makes the car stand out. It just looks proper. Oh Hell My wife loves the car now. She didn't before.

It does rub a tiny bit still, on hard bumps. Do not hear or feel anything in the front. Mostly in the rear.

I checked last time I had tire off, tonight and there are two small little areas that stick out in the well area, Plastic, not steel that the tire tread hits not the sides of tires at all.

LoL, soon the rub will be no-mo cuz the plastic is going away quick. From just a few days.

L8tr, Phil

PS.

I still have that creaking sound in the front shock towers.

I am convinced for now that it is the spring contacting the top bracket rotating bearing in too small of an area.

Not spreading out the contact area around the bearing rubber.

Maybe my set of springs just do not have enough zero pitch/dead coil at the top.

Hard for me to believe they would be different.

Sorry but the noise is annoying as HELL!

I know I know, turn up the radio....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610[/ATTACH]

post-33-142532287056_thumb.jpg

post-33-142532287056_thumb.jpg

To stop the rear from touching, you can add Firestone Air Bags for under $100. They shouldn't affect the ride much as you can add just enough air to keep the rear from touching. Also.. this gives you the ability to add air if you are hauling extra people or luggage. I have them on my Flex, though I installed for different reasons, to keep rear from squatting under WOT, and hopefully to get the fronts to hook up more, due to less front lift. Flex has H & R's and XL (extra load) tires and it still rides great.... definitely firmer, but never harsh.

that looks really nice! Can you get a few more shots from the side, head on from front & rear?

What size are you using, front & back?

For a while I have been trying to imagine my car with hood stripes, then with a # of HP decal somewhere on the car... (I like to show off lol!). So, I deceided to go to a decal shop and have them make a little 500HP that I put on the hood instead of the hood stripes... I think they look good, but I don't think they are going to be there forever. I was thinking of maybe contacting the guy who makes the hood stripes with SHO written and ask him if he could just replace the SHO for 500HP. But what I like the way I just did it for fun is the red... It gives a little punch instead of leaving it silver like the rest of the decals. What do you guys think? I think that at least 3 or 4 times a week I am being asked how many horse power I have under the hood... I will know the exact number at the end of June when I will go visit Livernois for dyno tuning my car (10 hours drive! Gotta love it no?), but I think 500HP is fair to say. If I remeber, Darrell told me that his car had a bit over 400HP at wheels, so with 20-25% powertrain loss, it is certainly over 500HP and my setup is basically the same as his except for his 1000$ Hennessey CAI ; ) So now, people will have the answer right away and maybe it will influence some drivers to want to try me at the stop sign... shhhh... ; )

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Give me your comments!

Cheers!

Steve

Archived