Ecoboost Owner Forums

Bought new tires for the SHO

I bought new tires for my 2010 SHO off tirerack.com and had them installed last week at NTB. Those guys loved my Green SHO and loved the look of my new tires! I bought Contiental Extreme Contact DSW 255/50R19 the old tires were Goodyear Eagle RSA 255/45R19. I had 52,500 miles on the old tires & my gas mileage on the highway went up from around 28-29 to 31-32 mpg. There are not many tires to choose from when you do not have the performance pack, this is what made me decide to go with a different tire size and boy do these fill up the wheelwells! I like the fact that there is no rubbing and I also like the built in lip for the rim so the curb can't rash it up if I come in contact with it.

post-64-142532293352_thumb.jpg

post-64-142532293356_thumb.jpg

post-64-14253229336_thumb.jpg

post-64-142532293364_thumb.jpg

post-64-142532293352_thumb.jpg

post-64-142532293356_thumb.jpg

post-64-14253229336_thumb.jpg

post-64-142532293364_thumb.jpg

I just switched back to the stock wheels/tires for a dealer visit. When installing, I had at least 1 1/2 inches above tire to top of strut. SHO may be different. The 255-45-20's are 29" or 29.1" depending on brand. Stock SHO PP tires are 245-45-20 which is 28.7" tall. (only 1% difference) The 255-45-19" is the stock tire for non PP vehicles with 19"rims. If you go to a 255-45-20, currently TireRack says the Conti DWS is the best rated All season tire in this size. If you like your DW's, you should like the DWS.

I bought new tires for my 2010 SHO off tirerack.com and had them installed last week at NTB. Those guys loved my Green SHO and loved the look of my new tires! I bought Contiental Extreme Contact DSW 255/50R19 the old tires were Goodyear Eagle RSA 255/45R19. I had 52' date='500 miles on the old tires & my gas mileage on the highway went up from around 28-29 to 31-32 mpg. There are not many tires to choose from when you do not have the performance pack, this is what made me decide to go with a different tire size and boy do these fill up the wheelwells! I like the fact that there is no rubbing and I also like the built in lip for the rim so the curb can't rash it up if I come in contact with it.[/quote']

Any issues with the almost 1" increase in overall tire diameter? Speedo still accurate, and did the traction control light come on?

It amounts to about 3.5% difference from the stock 19's but very close to the stock 20's.

I think I did all the calculations correctly and recalled the OEM sizes.

TNX

C.

Since I don't own a SHO, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that the 255-45-19" is the correct 19" size for the non-PP SHO.

From TireRack's website:

Original Equipment Sizes for 2010 Ford Taurus SHO

Alert Ford equips your vehicle with more than one possible size during production.

Original Equipment Size 1: 255/45-19

Original Equipment Size 2: 245/45-20

Colin, Just figured out what you were pointing out.... (Still sorta asleep I think)....

Tony... as you know... when you get your strategy fixed so you can TUNE... you can also adjust for tire size with the SCT tuner.... In fact, if you give Torrie the Tire RPM's (from TireRack's website for your particular tire) he can add it directly to the tunes, so you don't have to change the number each time you go back and forth.

I haven't had any problem and the speedometer seems to still read correctly.

Good to hear. As was pointed out: that size is close to OEM size depending on the chosen (factory) option so shouldn't be a problem.

My tire size calculator shows that the new size is 3.6% diff (larger) so at 60 mph's your speedo will show less than 2 mph slower. Not enough to mess up the computers and hardly noticeable on the speedo.

The experts reckon that about 3% difference from OEM is acceptable, (what extreme sizes owners have actually run I have no idea),

and shouldn't mess up anything enough that you'd notice.

Thanks for sharing your tire replacement experience with us.

C.

Archived